xandrew

Is this the root of all evil?

In short, I get 40fps drop when I look up by 5 degrees!, and there are many objects, like buildings in front of me, regardless if the line of sight is clear or not. I have included the system load stats. 

In the first case, I don't even see the objects, as they are hidden by this bungalow wall thing:

Day_Z_2015_06_15_11_17_56_471.jpg

60fps, gpu: 22%

Day_Z_2015_06_15_11_18_04_295.jpg

45fps, gpu: 21%

Day_Z_2015_06_15_11_18_11_590.jpg

24fps, gpu: 13%
Day_Z_2015_06_15_11_18_21_263.jpg
21fps, gpu: 12%

The next series: (the second stat at RAM is pagefile usage)

Day_Z_2015_06_15_11_26_36_931.jpg

60fps, gpu 26%

Day_Z_2015_06_15_11_26_33_377.jpg

37fps, gpu 17%
Day_Z_2015_06_15_11_26_29_152.jpg

24fps, gpu 13%

As you can see my Gpu usage decreases as the fps drops while elevating my line of sight off the ground.. Makes no sense for me... Other stats seem to stagnate. So, can someone tell me what the hell is this? This seems like a very specific problem, seemingly easy to locate, and it causes a drop of 40fps, somethings is really wrong in the object loading department!! Also, in areas where there are no buildings in front of me, only trees and such, I have 60fps+ normally...

My rig:

• windows 8.1 64bit
  • amd fx-8350
  • nvidia gtx-970, 1080p
  • 8gigs of ram

My settings:

• Rendering res: 100%
  • Vsync on
  • Objects/clouds/shadows/terrain normal
  • AA off, Alpha to Coverage off, PP AA SMAA normal,
  • HDR low
  • ambient oc. off, pp quality off
  • video memory auto, texture detail and filtering normal

I also have these as launch options: -cpuCount=8 -maxMem=8192 -skipintro -nosplash -noPause -noBorder -exThreads=7

Edited by xandrew
  • Like 1

Some devs should look into this, I'm really curious about this.

• Like 1

Some devs should look into this, I'm really curious about this.

All everyone would say is "this is alpha, devs will fix everyhing later, oh also, throw away your FX CPU and go buy Intel".

I also have this CPU and same ammount of RAM, GPU however is defferent(750Ti), every time I say anywhere on this forum something about performance this is a type of responce is get.

• Like 1

All everyone would say is "this is alpha, devs will fix everyhing later, oh also, throw away your FX CPU and go buy Intel".

I also have this CPU and same ammount of RAM, GPU however is defferent(750Ti), every time I say anywhere on this forum something about performance this is a type of responce is get.

No, you have me as your pal :D  Funny thing is, 2 and 3 years ago it was the same.

Edited by xandrew
  • Like 1

None of your launch parameters are actually doing anything, just FYI. The only launch parameter that works right now is -newui.

Large view distance has always been an issue with "this" engine (RV spinoff), thats one of the reasons they are working on a new render.

One of the biggest issues so far, was that the render and the simulation was 100% synced and connected, which ment that EVERYTHING within the "camera angle" of the player would be processed and rendered by the CPU/GPU and cause FPS drops. And i mean everything. Every single piece of loot, every single rock, every single grass straw, etc. and thats a major performance problem.

Ideally you only want to render what is actually witnin view of the "camera" ingame.

If they can make the new render so that it does NOT render things inside buildings, outside of view range, and stuff behind buildings, rocks and what ever else is on the map, we will gain a big performance boost.

That is the major reason you are having these FPS drops and *sigh* they are working on it  :P

Hate to leave a standard reply like this, but it really is what we have to work with atm. Await the new render and cross your fingers that an updated DirectX, combined with the render/simulation detachment, will make a huge difference in performance, and open up alot of opportunities for the team.

Example:

Picture series 1, you look at the floor, theres not much to render, just the floor and the ground under it. Then you look up and it is rendering EVERYTHING behind the wall in the shack, thats why you are getting FPS drops.

Its even rendering that shirt, in that house, 500m away. A shirt you have no chance in hell to ever see anyway :)

Picture series 2 is the same thing, you look at ground and you look up, it start to render everything within the camera angle.

None of your launch parameters are actually doing anything, just FYI. The only launch parameter that works right now is -newui.

-nosplash still works wonders aswell :) Just fyi, but you are correct in the others. Its redundant.

Edited by Byrgesen
  • Like 1

One of the biggest issues so far, was that the render and the simulation was 100% synced and connected, which ment that EVERYTHING within the "camera angle" of the player would be processed and rendered by the CPU/GPU and cause FPS drops. And i mean everything. Every single piece of loot, every single rock, every single grass straw, etc. and thats a major performance problem.

Ideally you only want to render what is actually witnin view of the "camera" ingame.

Occlusion culling. The new renderer will have this function according to the thread about it in the dev section.

-nosplash still works wonders aswell :) Just fyi, but you are correct in the others. Its redundant.

Ah, thank you!  :beans:  :beans:  :beans:  :beans:

• Like 1

Occlusion culling. The new renderer will have this function according to the thread about it in the dev section.

Ah, thank you!  :beans:  :beans:  :beans:  :beans:

Thanks mate, i havent kept up with the news in a bit, but i know what the origional struggle was all about :)

• Like 1

Large view distance has always been an issue with "this" engine (RV spinoff), thats one of the reasons they are working on a new render.

If they can make the new render so that it does NOT render things inside buildings, outside of view range, and stuff behind buildings, rocks and what ever else is on the map, we will gain a big performance boost.

That is the major reason you are having these FPS drops and *sigh* they are working on it  :P

Hate to leave a standard reply like this, but it really is what we have to work with atm. Await the new render and cross your fingers that an updated DirectX, combined with the render/simulation detachment, will make a huge difference in performance, and open up alot of opportunities for the team.

Example:

Picture series 1, you look at the floor, theres not much to render, just the floor and the ground under it. Then you look up and it is rendering EVERYTHING behind the wall in the shack, thats why you are getting FPS drops.

Its even rendering that shirt, in that house, 500m away. A shirt you have no chance in hell to ever see anyway :)

Picture series 2 is the same thing, you look at ground and you look up, it start to render everything within the camera angle.

But why does my GPU usage drop with the fps? It kind of ruins your theory, in terms of what process (rendering) causes the overhead. Also, I think borderless mode and/or no pause work too, because I can alt-tab faster now with these set. Occlusion culling, as others have mentioned the problem in question, should have been implemented at the very start, it is an absolutely necessary element of game engines of this kind, am I not right? And why is there no option to alter view distance of these objects?

Edited by xandrew

But why does my GPU usage drop with the fps? It kind of ruins your theory, in terms of what process (rendering) causes the overhead. Also, I think borderless mode and/or no pause work too, because I can alt-tab faster now with these set. Occlusion culling, as others have mentioned the problem in question, should have been implemented at the very start, it is an absolutely necessary element of game engines of this kind, am I not right? And why is there no option to alter view distance of these objects?

Rendering buildings seems to be CPU bound. There is very little you can do about it. I've tried extensively and there are ways to stay over 40FPS in cities but it is isn't an elegant solution. Workload is going from the GPU to the CPU as the buildings need to be rendered. GPU is being used less as your CPU takes over and struggles to maintain FPS. 

This engine is old and uses an extremely outdated API, DirectX9. When this tech was used in the mod or in Arma 2, it was fine. DayZ mod only had 10,000 item spawns and no where near as many enterable buildings. The SA has over 1,000,000 possible item spawns. It can't do what they need it to do anymore. Hence, the new renderer.

You can alter the view distances. That's the solution I referenced above. Check out your cfg file. 

Edited by ColdAtrophy
  • Like 1

Rendering buildings seems to be CPU bound. There is very little you can do about it. I've tried extensively and there are ways to stay over 40FPS in cities but it is isn't an elegant solution. Workload is going from the GPU to the CPU as the buildings need to be rendered. GPU is being used less as your CPU takes over and struggles to maintain FPS. 

This engine is old and uses an extremely outdated API, DirectX9. When this tech was used in the mod or in Arma 2, it was fine. DayZ mod only had 10,000 item spawns and no where near as many enterable buildings. The SA has over 1,000,000 possible item spawns. It can't do what they need it to do anymore. Hence, the new renderer.

You can alter the view distances. That's the solution I referenced above. Check out your cfg file. 

I see, plausible, although is it really true that items like hats on the ground are rendered from 500m? Because whatever API they use this could be fixed in a blink. I'll check your solution to view distance changing (why is it not already in the regular settings menu btw?).

Edit:

By lowering sceneComplexity to 250k from 500k, render frames ahead from 1000 to 1, viewDistance from 1000 to 800, prefObjectViewDist from 800 to 500, I gained 5-10% performance increase, not bad but no way near, and it made objects at even 200 meters away way uglier.

Edited by xandrew

I see, plausible, although is it really true that items like hats on the ground are rendered from 500m? Because whatever API they use this could be fixed in a blink. I'll check your solution to view distance changing (why is it not already in the regular settings menu btw?).

Edit:

By lowering sceneComplexity to 250k from 500k, render frames ahead from 1000 to 1, viewDistance from 1000 to 800, prefObjectViewDist from 800 to 500, I gained 5-10% performance increase, not bad but no way near, and it made objects at even 200 meters away way uglier.

you have peaked my curiosity...so, using "whatever API" what is your fix? while we are at it, is it possible that any other change in the game could break your fix?

Edit:

You are going to want to lower scene complexity much lower than that. Try 150,000. You have to remember that single core performance on your CPU is not as good as Intel and this is one of the few games where it will make a fairly dramatic difference. I'd also recommend using 3 for render frames ahead. It will make 30-40 FPS feel much smoother.

Edited by ColdAtrophy
  • Like 1

It was never an issue in Arma, because the RV engine was never ment to do what it should do in DayZ :)

Thats why its always been like this and it hasnt been an issue until now.

Your GPU usage drops because youre CPU bottlenecks and cant keep up with the information it needs to process, which in turn leaves the GPU idling more and doing less.

I think the reason you cannot edit view distance ingame, is to give BI some kind of bench mark scores. If everyone is using the same settings, its much easier to find out how it runs on certain hardware :)

If i were you, i would wait on the new render, instead of trying to squeeze something out of this game. You might make it run decend, but it will become a pixel war on your screen and you wont be able to see anything beyond 300m.

• Like 1

By shuffling around my cfg. file I got steady 30-40fps in the cities.

Problem is, players do not render either at normal distances so I couldnt spot anyone outside 500meters.

Oh dayz why u no show love for us???

Thanks for the answers, now I only don't understand where my tent has gone from yesterday to today..

Thanks for the answers, now I only don't understand where my tent has gone from yesterday to today..

Persistence is off for everything but vehicles. 

Persistence is off for everything but vehicles. 

Why is then all server saying "PERSISTENCE ON"? I had so much precious stuff in my tent, I'm sad..