Tatanko

The Guide to Wilderness Survival

As a connoisseur of Chernarusian fish, the Nagornoe carp taste very oily but they do have a sweet antifreeze finish  :P

I'll bet if you also wrapped it in tactical bacon before cooking it would be more oily and even more incredible...

• Like 2

Which list is that? The one for scavenging?

yes, for sure on my scavenging list. The fishing hat even more so, the cargo space is valuable to a hermit who doesn't want to look like a tank.

They need to make a leather man bag pouch for chest slot alternative...

Edited by Coheed_IV
  • Like 3

Yo - so something else I never knew about before was how you can walk up to a chicken coop and "Search for feathers" from it. I never knew about this. Whenever I felt inspired to improvise a bow and arrows I'd search high and low for actual chickens to kill. Knowing I can find feathers this way makes the improvised bow a much more viable starter weapon until I can pair up a decent gun with available ammo. In fact I did that with my first character post .57, since in the first town I tried (Dolina) I'd found rope, an ax, the feathers, and a knife - all I needed was to find an Ashenwood tree. At least I was able to quickly get something I could shoot with at range right away while I continue my search for a gun (with ammo) that I'm comfortable with. Funny enough in a single house up there I found a Trumpet, Carbine, Repeater, Sporter, and Mosin. The only ammo I'd found was 380 auto. So I sawed off the Mosin and put it in my bag and kept the bow on my back to keep my hands free. People really can benefit from reading this, there's a lot of subtle things that if you have the knowledge can make a sizable difference... so long as you're not an Elektro bambi zerg player.

Thanks Tatanko, I was away waiting for content, now I think it's time to get back.

One thing - is everything you say for real in 0.57? Like the one about the improvised rope or that you need lard to cook something in a cooking pot? Did all of this make into 0.57?

And another question - can the small pile of guts be used for bow/rod? I know it wasn't possible before, I'm asking if anything changed.

there's a lot of subtle things that if you have the knowledge can make a sizable difference...

Exactly! Also, the game has changed so much in this regard that even if you play regularly, you would miss a few things even if you were paying attention. Many of these things (i.e. improvised rope) weren't even announced by the developers, somebody simply figured it out and shared it with the community.

Thanks Tatanko, I was away waiting for content, now I think it's time to get back.

One thing - is everything you say for real in 0.57? Like the one about the improvised rope or that you need lard to cook something in a cooking pot? Did all of this make into 0.57?

And another question - can the small pile of guts be used for bow/rod? I know it wasn't possible before, I'm asking if anything changed.

Everything I've discussed in the guide works in 0.57, including the improvised rope. Lard isn't necessary, as water can be used instead, but it's a functioning option now (where before it didn't work, you had to have water in the pot).

I don't believe the small guts are yet useful for anything. I'll have to check.

Yo - so something else I never knew about before was how you can walk up to a chicken coop and "Search for feathers" from it. I never knew about this. Whenever I felt inspired to improvise a bow and arrows I'd search high and low for actual chickens to kill. Knowing I can find feathers this way makes the improvised bow a much more viable starter weapon until I can pair up a decent gun with available ammo. In fact I did that with my first character post .57, since in the first town I tried (Dolina) I'd found rope, an ax, the feathers, and a knife - all I needed was to find an Ashenwood tree. At least I was able to quickly get something I could shoot with at range right away while I continue my search for a gun (with ammo) that I'm comfortable with. Funny enough in a single house up there I found a Trumpet, Carbine, Repeater, Sporter, and Mosin. The only ammo I'd found was 380 auto. So I sawed off the Mosin and put it in my bag and kept the bow on my back to keep my hands free. People really can benefit from reading this, there's a lot of subtle things that if you have the knowledge can make a sizable difference... so long as you're not an Elektro bambi zerg player.

You don't need ashwood trees anymore.

You can just go to any tree and cut off a branch with a knife. This will give you a long stick to craft a bow with.

You don't need feathers either. Just sharpen a short stick and you can already shoot with it.

Killed a guy with one shot like this (very short distance).

I actually totally forgot about the feathers yesterday. I guess that's why I couldn't improve my arrows with bones.

• Like 1

This is great stuff!

Thanks! Hoping I have more to add to it soon from 0.58 :)

Thanks! Hoping I have more to add to it soon from 0.58 :)

NP - having left DayZ alone for 4 months I've been feeling the need to get back into it and this guide is great in telling me what new things there are to do. Now when I get on over the weekend, the guide gave me a new objective.

We're going to spawn in fresh (if we aren't already) and then from the get go, lose all our clothes......

and then do nothing but live off the land. Everything we eat and make and wear will come from what we can get naturally (I just hope chickens are fairly common so we can make a bow quick). Once we've maxed out on all the normal gear - then we might forage into town looking for other things.

One question, are matches the only way to light fires now?

Bark + a stick to make a hand drill, also flares.

• Like 1

NP - having left DayZ alone for 4 months I've been feeling the need to get back into it and this guide is great in telling me what new things there are to do. Now when I get on over the weekend, the guide gave me a new objective.

We're going to spawn in fresh (if we aren't already) and then from the get go, lose all our clothes......

and then do nothing but live off the land. Everything we eat and make and wear will come from what we can get naturally (I just hope chickens are fairly common so we can make a bow quick). Once we've maxed out on all the normal gear - then we might forage into town looking for other things.

It took me ten minutes from spawning to craft a bow and arrows.

You don't need feathers at the moment for arrows. Just sharpen a stick.

If you want feathers you don't need to find a chicken. Just go to one of the many chicken coops (spelling?) and you'll find feathers there.

If you want feathers you don't need to find a chicken. Just go to one of the many chicken coops (spelling?) and you'll find feathers there.

Can I suggest one ammendment to your "rule" about living off the land? Find or create enough rags for an improvised rope first. There's no way to create rope from nature just yet except guts, and if you want to go hunting you'll need a ranged weapon first. It's 6+6 (so, 12) rags for a rope. Grab a couple extra in case you start bleeding, and then head straight for nature ;)

One thing about the hand drill kit for starting fires: as of 0.57, only oak bark will work. Birch bark can be used as kindling, but it cannot be used to create a hand drill kit.

NICE! :)

Thanks! The chicken is for the bowstring from the guts? So are feathers useless right now - they don't increase accuracy?

Can I suggest one ammendment to your "rule" about living off the land? Find or create enough rags for an improvised rope first. There's no way to create rope from nature just yet except guts, and if you want to go hunting you'll need a ranged weapon first. It's 6+6 (so, 12) rags for a rope. Grab a couple extra in case you start bleeding, and then head straight for nature ;)

One thing about the hand drill kit for starting fires: as of 0.57, only oak bark will work. Birch bark can be used as kindling, but it cannot be used to create a hand drill kit.

Thanks that's great to know :)

So I can't catch a chicken with a stone knife?

Thanks! The chicken is for the bowstring from the guts? So are feathers useless right now - they don't increase accuracy?

No, a bowstring can only be made of a (crafted) rope or from the guts of bigger animals, not chickens.

My guess is, that feathers improve the improvised arrows, but I killed a guy with one shot of an sharpened stick as an arrow.

Chickens can be easily killed with a stone knife. All other animals are too fast.

The guts of chickens can't be used as a bowstring.

No, a bowstring can only be made of a (crafted) rope or from the guts of bigger animals, not chickens.

My guess is, that feathers improve the improvised arrows, but I killed a guy with one shot of an sharpened stick as an arrow.

Chickens can be easily killed with a stone knife. All other animals are too fast.

The guts of chickens can't be used as a bowstring.

Damn it! lol

So we can't go fully nature just yet then.

Damn it! lol

12 rags are what you need for the improvised rope. The rest you can get from the nature.

Best source are wool dresses. You get 6 rags from one dress when you tear it up.

• Like 1

Thanks that's great to know :)

So I can't catch a chicken with a stone knife?

Damn it! lol

12 rags are what you need for the improvised rope. The rest you can get from the nature.

Best source are wool dresses. You get 6 rags from one dress when you tear it up.

too-easy is (appropriately!) right on the money with that comment. Dresses are the easiest source of rags. Grab yourself two complete stacks (and maybe a few extra) and be on your way :)

I want to say feathers don't yet alter the properties of an improvised arrow, but I know for sure bone arrows are better and I'm fairly certain those do require feathers (in addition to bones).

• Like 1

just...awesome!! gonna get my hermit on, all weekend long ;)

really tho', thanks for the guide, well written with alot of good info, alot i did not know

might change my name to Hermey

*edit-i think 25 beans is worth a sticky

Edited by thznutz

just...awesome!! gonna get my hermit on, all weekend long ;)

Glad to see it's inspiring people to see what they've been missing!

Glad to see it's inspiring people to see what they've been missing!

for sure...didnt realize i was missing out on so much to do playing "scavenger/watcher" all the time...gonna try it all!! might even eat somebody :D

• Like 1

I'm loving the new outdoorsman style but for the love of God, I just can't kill a deer with a bow. The animal just won't let me closer than 40-50m no matter what I do, and this distance is way too far for me to make accurate connect. Any ideas? I slow crawl, hide behind the bushes, all to no avail.

Actually even the cow is not super easy, I mean I have to focus for a longer moment.

Haven't found a board yet. Is it me or are there way fewer animals than pre 0.55? Several places which used to spawn fauna for sure now are empty. Even Mogilevka and Bere give only one cow now (checked shortly after the restart).

On the plus side - stoves finally work, both with pots and pans! However, they warm you up rapidly, both on the ground and in slots, as if it was a fireplace.

I'm loving the new outdoorsman style but for the love of God, I just can't kill a deer with a bow. The animal just won't let me closer than 40-50m no matter what I do, and this distance is way too far for me to make accurate connect. Any ideas? I slow crawl, hide behind the bushes, all to no avail.

Actually even the cow is not super easy, I mean I have to focus for a longer moment.

Haven't found a board yet. Is it me or are there way fewer animals than pre 0.55? Several places which used to spawn fauna for sure now are empty. Even Mogilevka and Bere give only one cow now (checked shortly after the restart).

On the plus side - stoves finally work, both with pots and pans! However, they warm you up rapidly, both on the ground and in slots, as if it was a fireplace.

Hunting is still in need of some work, for sure. The AI is still very basic. I think the end goal is to have the animals behave closer to the way they would in real life, and eventually sneaking up on them should be a valid tactic (or at least, one that actually works). Stealth doesn't work well for zombies yet either.

I think animal spawns may be reduced in 0.57 Stable for performance reasons. They originally wanted to go without zombies altogether, but they included a (limited) number of them anyway, and I'm thinking they may have cut back on the number of animal spawns in the meantime to balance things out performance-wise.

too-easy is (appropriately!) right on the money with that comment. Dresses are the easiest source of rags. Grab yourself two complete stacks (and maybe a few extra) and be on your way :)

I want to say feathers don't yet alter the properties of an improvised arrow, but I know for sure bone arrows are better and I'm fairly certain those do require feathers (in addition to bones).

I can confirm that you can't improve sharpened sticks with bones. Tried it and that didn't work.

Need feathers first.

• Like 2