Sign in to follow this  
swampstompabillygoat

HELP A NOOB OUT?!

So I've been playing days standalone, got about 25 hours in game. I have a general idea of how things work such as finding food, drink, and staying healthy. But it seems like everytime I get a good start I end up getting sniped from some coward I can't even see. Even on servers with minimal players. I'm not that great at navigating, I only know where two spawn points are on the map. I guess I'm just having a hard time getting around to the good stuff before I get killed. I try to stay in the tree line or away from windows in the buildings. It would be great if someone could kinda tour guide me through to some more discreet firearm locations. Any help is greatly appreciated. I love the feel of this game but I just can't get off to a good start.

• Like 1

Move inland as quick as possible. Look at and study the map. Print it out or have an old laptop next to you with the map open. 

But get away from the coastal cities and spawn points as quick as possible. Do not run on the roads.

Approach towns from the fields, woods after observing the environment from a distance for awhile. Do not run in the middle of the road into the town. 

The smaller inland towns will get you looted up fairly well. Look for apple trees and berries if you get hungry. 

Once your looted up you can start looking for AK's and M4. There are lots of small arms in the towns, just keep looking.

Also read up in the wiki on what weapons uses what ammo, how to fix broken legs and disease. Knowledge is survival.... :-D

Make rags, and split them right after you spawn. It will save your life.

Piano house and police stations have weapons. Some houses will spawn guns in the bedrooms. (my experience) stay away from airfields and military barracks until you feel comfortable and are ready for PvP.

Remember you will die a LOT before you get the hang of it. It is just part of the game. Embrace that fact and learn from the experiences.

Enjoy.

sniped from some coward

You're right. You are a noob.

Thanks, that may be my problem as I always try to head up the east coast. And if I'm running around without heavy gear or a gun, why would I be a target to someone with a rifle capable of plucking me off passed 600 yards or so? It doesn't make sense to me. There is no challenge there. I was asking for help not a smartass remark. I'm alright matching calibers to guns as I'm a firearms enthusiast.

So I've been playing days standalone, got about 25 hours in game. I have a general idea of how things work such as finding food, drink, and staying healthy. But it seems like everytime I get a good start I end up getting sniped from some coward I can't even see. Even on servers with minimal players. I'm not that great at navigating, I only know where two spawn points are on the map. I guess I'm just having a hard time getting around to the good stuff before I get killed. I try to stay in the tree line or away from windows in the buildings. It would be great if someone could kinda tour guide me through to some more discreet firearm locations. Any help is greatly appreciated. I love the feel of this game but I just can't get off to a good start.

You play on low pop servers? That's a first for a newb.

Head inland. Here, I'll help.

Stand with the coast to your left.

Turn 90° to the left

Look at the birdies

Now turn 180°

Now run straight.

----

There. Problem solved.

You will find food. a lot of it.

You will find cool clothes, guns, etc.

You won't get sniped from nowhere.

Most of the time you'll come across your occasional SKS/MP133 wielding child, who thinks he owns the world.

Or the guy with no mic but seems cool. But just to be sure you run away to a different town, before becoming paranoid thinking he followed you, and switching servers.

• Like 1

If your still having issues with the loot. Wait for 0.57 update it is coming soon.

Everybody was kung-fu sniping!. Unfortunately this is something that will happen. A lot. There is no way to avoid it unless you wanna sit in a bush all day. But a good way to avoid being shot it to move a lot and to wait and listen for a while before moving into cities and villages. Often you will hear shooting and can pinpoint the location and avoid them.

As for navigation, use this map: http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus#7.121.117   After a while you will learn the locations of important places and can get there without a map.

There are also maps ingame to find and use.

It all comes down to training really. You are new to the game. The people you are playing "against" might have 1.000 hours in this game. Give it time. You'll learn to be more tactical and stealthy.

On another note. Get off the coast as soon as humanly possible. Nothing good happens on the coast.

Last thing. Patience. Probably the most important thing in DayZ. It'll keep you alive.

• Like 1

another thing, ALWAYS LOOK YOU'R SURROUNDINGS...

one day you will see a douche aiming on you.

^you will only see a person aiming at you if you run around aimlessly.

Just because someone is trying to kill you, that doesn't mean they're a bad guy.

or a douche.

Small penis syndrome. Helps those people sleep at night knowing they killed a bunch of defenseless new spawns...

And if I'm running around without heavy gear or a gun, why would I be a target to someone with a rifle capable of plucking me off passed 600 yards or so? It doesn't make sense to me. There is no challenge there.