Sign in to follow this  
hleVqq

Force 1PP for Single Stable Release

Force 1PP for single stable release?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Force 1PP for single stable release?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't mind

How about one of the future stable releases featuring 1PP only until the next stable?

That way people could give 1PP a try, get used to it more and perhaps start to prefer it over 3PP (which is what happened to many people who gave 1PP a try)? 3PP players who dislike 1PP would not abandon the game (might temporarily stop playing, though) knowing that 3PP will return.

Now this is not about who prefers what and what is better, we have plenty of those topics. This is in effort to increase 1PP community so that 1PP players could enjoy the game without being left in empty servers and thus having an urge to complain about the existence of 3PP and its community. I greatly believe that 1PP would be liked by more people if more people gave it a serious try instead of going the easier route and sticking to that (3PP).

Alpha is, as you know it, a good time for experimenting.

Edited by Powerhouse

No, and I bet this is a 2nd forum account trying to force 1pp use the search function there is tons of threads like this, and tons of 1pp-3pp threads.

you should know better then this at 230 posts, that we have talked about this time and time again.

just start paying for a 1pp server, like the rest do. Saves you tons of grief, then forcing something on others that have medical issues with 1pp.

• Like 2

No - just fix the issues with third person (also fix the issues with first person like sitting too high in the V3S and not having any working mirrors). There are many people out there who play third person for other reasons than exploiting the camera.

• Like 1

.. nah same thread again

[ edit ]

Edited by pilgrim

Improve 3pp camera to mitigate abuses and then remove 1pp-only mode. That's the real way forward.

• Like 5

To be honest as a 1st person only player, I have no problem with a 3rd person view that doesn't allow abuse like peaking over walls etc.

• Like 2

I think it's a good idea but WAY too many people would be upset by it.

I do think A LOT of people would convert to 1PP only.

Once they remove the placeholder 3PP camera we have now and replace it with one that is balanced we will see the same people leave DayZ that would have left if it was 1PP only.

I've learned a lot about why people prefer one camera type over the other in games in general through this forum and in regards to DayZ in particular I've never heard a valid argument beyond, "I prefer it."

Of course I am one of the people that wouldn't mind 3PP being taken out altogether.

In 3PP there is no immersion.

It's not debatable.

Without immersion you never get a visceral connection to your character and just about every core factor that makes DayZ great is now diminished.

• Like 2

To expand upon my earlier comment, I'm a "1pp player" whatever that means, I guess it means that I find myself gravitating toward 1pp servers. Why? Sure, wall peeking just feels cheap to me but also the greater awareness offered by default 3pp camera makes sneaking around zombies absurdly easy among other things. 1pp as it is just feels more authentic but it is far from perfect.

Some things I like about 3pp: 1pp view as it is can be too restrictive. 1pp view as it is makes it very difficult to access items on top of cupboards or other areas. 1pp view as it is doesn't allow self-referential screenshots, I'm vain, this matters.

Therefore, I respect that there are many reasons people prefer 3pp over 1pp without them necessarily relying on camera crutch for tactical situations. I'd much rather the choice between 1pp and 3pp to be a fluid one that happens within a game, based on a player's needs or desires for a given moment without giving gameplay weakening advantages. So I conclude that removing this nasty 1pp vs 3pp divide is the best thing to do and the best way to implement that reunion of the playerbase is by improving the 3pp camera to limit potential abuses but to maintain its other positive aspects.

Edited by Ebrim
  • Like 2

Personally I'm 100% against this idea. Playing in first person can be very problematic for some people, even if they don't exploit it to look over walls. Personally I can't play 1PP for more than 30 minutes without getting a headache/nausea, even with head bob and FOV adjusted...just too twitchy I guess. And there are some people that wouldn't be able to use it due to actual medical reasons. We shouldn't block people who cannot or do not want to play 1PP from playing the game outright.

It's not debatable.

Without immersion you never get a visceral connection to your character and just about every core factor that makes DayZ great is now diminished.

In what way is this not debatable? Clearly you rarely (if ever) have played on a 3PP server if you're arguing that immersion cannot exist on them. Immersion is being deeply engaged in the world, feeling the real emotions and thoughts that you would experience if you were really there - not necessarily looking through your character's eyes. To me 3PP is actually more immersive (when you don't exploit it to look over walls) because you can actually see your character's condition, how they're dressed, body position, where they're bleeding from, etc. In real life you could feel that, but you can't in 1PP without a small amount of effort (and of course headaches from nothing are not immersive, but I'd imagine that's not an issue with everyone).

Edited by OnionOfShame

im·mer·sion
iˈmərZHən,iˈmərSHən/
noun
noun: immersion
  1. the action of immersing someone or something in a liquid.
    "his back was still raw from immersion in the icy Atlantic Ocean"
    • deep mental involvement.
      "his immersion in Jewish culture"
    • a method of teaching a foreign language by the exclusive use of that language, usually at a special school.
    • baptism by immersing a person bodily (but not necessarily completely) in water.
    • Astronomyrare
      the disappearance of a celestial body in the shadow of or behind another.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Staring at your characters back the entire game is by definition immersion breaking.

There's no way you get the same visceral attachment to your character.

Do you even play 1PP at all?

I played on 1PP and 3PP alternately since the mod and I discovered early on that 3PP is a FAR inferior experience on EVERY level.

Back then I played on 3PP servers and just kept myself in 1PP.

Then I discovered the wall peaking and camping tactics and left 3PP almost entirely.

3PP from ARMA 2 is pretty awful.

If you think DayZ should be played that way, you obviously don't understand what DayZ will be.

• Like 1

<p>

im·mer·sion

iˈmərZHən,iˈmərSHən/

noun

• the action of immersing someone or something in a liquid.

• a method of teaching a foreign language by the exclusive use of that language, usually at a special school.

• baptism by immersing a person bodily (but not necessarily completely) in water.

• Astronomyrare

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Staring at your characters back the entire game is by definition immersion breaking.

I played on 1PP and 3PP alternately since the mod and I discovered early on that 3PP is a FAR inferior experience on EVERY level.

Then I discovered the wall peaking and camping tactics and left 3PP almost entirely.

If you think DayZ should be played that way, you obviously don't understand what DayZ will be.

Its immersion breaking FOR YOU. Some people may find it more immersive for whatever reason. Hell I love the new experimental 3pp because it kills wall peeking but let's me see how my character is dressed and reacts.

If you don't like it then you got 3 options.

1- Shut up with your 1pp elitism and deal with it

2- Just do what logic states and play on 1pp servers, they're out there. So stop complaining about 3pp when you join a 1pp/3pp server.

3- Rent your own 1pp server and continue on about how hardcore immersed you are.

• Like 3

<p>

im·mer·sion

iˈmərZHən,iˈmərSHən/

noun

• the action of immersing someone or something in a liquid.

• Astronomyrare

Not sure if you're agreeing with me or not?

The definition you posted (I assume since you bolded it you are focusing on the "deep mental involvement aspect") agrees with my statement that immersion is feeling the actual emotions, thoughts, etc. that you would feel in the situation. Correct me if I'm wrong but that definition does not say that you have to see everything from a character's eyes for a game to be immersive.

Maybe looking at your character's back is immersion-breaking for you. But as I stated above, that's actually more immersive to me, and I know many others who would agree. If you actually read my post without the skew your 1PP-elitism put on it then you would understand that. Not all people find the same things immersive.

Also if you read my post you would see that I have played in 1PP very often, but as I said, it's just not as fun for me. I also mentioned that I disliked the ability to look over walls, but that is currently being worked on by the developers.

Could you explain to me what DayZ will be then? I was under the impression that it was a full sandbox MMO-tactical shooter immersive survival horror game. Does it say first-person in there? I never said that wall-peeking should stay in-game, and I've never seen anyone actually defend it. If you're just going to spew 1PP-elitist BS rather than actaully replying then I guess there's no point in trying to carry on a conversation.

Edited by OnionOfShame

Its immersion breaking FOR YOU. Some people may find it more immersive for whatever reason. Hell I love the new experimental 3pp because it kills wall peeking but let's me see how my character is dressed and reacts.

2- Just do what logic states and play on 1pp servers, they're out there. So stop complaining about 3pp when you join a 1pp/3pp server.

3- Rent your own 1pp server and continue on about how hardcore immersed you are.

Yeah, when I'm floating behind my own back, walking around my neighborhood, it's totally natural...???

I guess I touched a nerve there, huh killer?  :D

Don't tell me to shut up, ever, or I will tell you fuck off sideways on a rusty chainsaw, pal.

We are here to discuss DayZ related topics.

Some people are going to say things you do not like, always, and you don't get to tell them to shut up, not here.

Trying to attack me personally, makes all of your above points, nearly worthless

Try to attack the idea, not the person next time; that is if you can pose a sophisticated debate (which you obviously cannot).

Yeah, I'm elite.

Elite tastes in all things media.

Fuck other peoples shitty tastes. 

I'm tired of conceding to tasteless/SENSELESS people.

I am subjected to enough of it with the horrible tone deaf people pumping music from their cars.

They did NOT fix wall peaking in 3PP experimental.

I have been on every recent build and found the same wall peaking possible.

Nothing is fixed (yet).

Here's a solution for you, my shortsighted friend.

How about we all get 1 hive for all once 3PP is ironed out and not further splinter the player base?

You did a great job of missing my point though.

Please misconstrue the above once more so we can go round and round in abject futility.

Not sure if you're agreeing with me or not?

The definition you posted (I assume since you bolded it you are focusing on the "deep mental involvement aspect") agrees with my statement that immersion is feeling the actual emotions, thoughts, etc. that you would feel in the situation. Correct me if I'm wrong but that definition does not say that you have to see everything from a character's eyes for a game to be immersive.

Maybe looking at your character's back is immersion-breaking for you. But as I stated above, that's actually more immersive to me, and I know many others who would agree. If you actually read my post without the skew your 1PP-elitism put on it then you would understand that. Not all people find the same things immersive.

Also if you read my post you would see that I have played in 1PP very often, but as I said, it's just not as fun for me. I also mentioned that I disliked the ability to look over walls, but that is currently being worked on by the developers.

Could you explain to me what DayZ will be then? I was under the impression that it was a full sandbox MMO-tactical shooter immersive survival horror game. Does it say first-person in there? I never said that wall-peeking should stay in-game, and I've never seen anyone actually defend it. If you're just going to spew 1PP-elitist BS rather than actaully replying then I guess there's no point in trying to carry on a conversation.

Again, calling me an elitist, does nothing to prove your point and makes you sound like a parrot of all the others.

If you get nauseous from 1PP, that's unfortunate.

It likely has something to do with your visual focal points and the new crosshair might actually help, (have you tried it since?).

In fact, just changing the focus of your eyes every 15mins or so should help (look away from the screen for just a few seconds to focus on something at a different distance).

But who cares for logical solutions, right?

DayZ is not meant to be a tactical shooter until you make it one.

In fact, people who come to DayZ for that should go buy ARMA 3; they're doing it wrong.

DayZ is an MMO Sandbox Survival Horror game.

Period.

The central goal of DayZ is survival NOT PvP.

Soon, when you fire a weapon, it will draw your death of zombies.

This is not a "shooter".

Just because a game has guns it makes all of the people devoid of imagination think that is the core aspect of DayZ.

Now, PLEASE, argue with me how the majority of the player base using a game with mostly place holder EVERYTHING and completely feature poor are here for the PvP and that's what DayZ is all about because so many people exploit the placeholder systems for instant PvP gratification. THESE ARE THE SAME PEOPLE WHO WANT 3PP FOR ALL THE WRONG REASONS.

So for the vast majority, I enjoy their tears as these changes come.

Some people have a legit desire and preference for 3PP (like yourself) and want no exploits.

To say that you personally prefer 3PP and that's it's more immersive for you doesn't say a whole lot really and probably puts you in a minority actually.

I shouldn't have to explain why that's a terribly thin argument.

I want to end by saying that the devs themselves have said that 1PP is how DayZ should be played and they openly encouraged everyone to try it (it was in a status report I've quoted in the dev section of the forum on this topic).

Those devs, such 1PP elitists.

Edited by BioHaze
  • Like 3

I think it's a good idea but WAY too many people would be upset by it.

I do think A LOT of people would convert to 1PP only.

Once they remove the placeholder 3PP camera we have now and replace it with one that is balanced we will see the same people leave DayZ that would have left if it was 1PP only.

I've learned a lot about why people prefer one camera type over the other in games in general through this forum and in regards to DayZ in particular I've never heard a valid argument beyond, "I prefer it."

Of course I am one of the people that wouldn't mind 3PP being taken out altogether.

It's not debatable.

what you stated is opinion what makes the game immersive for you is different than what is immersive for me. 1pp view doesn't add immersion or intensity to the game for me has nothing to do with it for me its the map plain and simple nothing else. can't believe as well that this argument is still happening and i for one will never be for 1pp mode simply because of the folks that keep pushing it on the rest of us like your some evangelical dayz player my way or no way its bullshit if folks like to play 1pp mode only so be it join those servers if the population is to low post on the forums and recruit for your server create a steam group and try and recruit like minded individuals but slammin 3pp saying we play the game wrong or that we will never be immersed is just like i said your opinion man
  • Like 3

Yeah, when I'm floating behind my own back, walking around my neighborhood, it's totally natural...???

I guess I touched a nerve there, huh killer?  :D

Don't tell me to shut up, ever, or I will tell you fuck off sideways on a rusty chainsaw, pal.

We are here to discuss DayZ related topics.

Some people are going to say things you do not like, always, and you don't get to tell them to shut up, not here.

Trying to attack me personally, makes all of your above points, nearly worthless

Try to attack the idea, not the person next time; that is if you can pose a sophisticated debate (which you obviously cannot).

Yeah, I'm elite.

Elite tastes in all things media.

Fuck other peoples shitty tastes. 

I'm tired of conceding to tasteless/SENSELESS people.

I am subjected to enough of it with the horrible tone deaf people pumping music from their cars.

They did NOT fix wall peaking in 3PP experimental.

I have been on every recent build and found the same wall peaking possible.

Nothing is fixed (yet).

Here's a solution for you, my shortsighted friend.

How about we all get 1 hive for all once 3PP is ironed out and not further splinter the player base?

You did a great job of missing my point though.

Please misconstrue the above once more so we can go round and round in abject futility.

and with that your arguments as well became irrelevant. one thing i can say at least you admit your a pretentious prick.
  • Like 3

and with that your arguments as well became irrelevant. one thing i can say at least you admit your you're a pretentious prick.

Fixed, numb nuts.

The name calling is appreciated and duly noted.

Take it a bit further and I might report you,

"Someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets." Right, Travis?

Well the upcoming changes to the game are gonna do just that.

This is meant to be an "authentic" survival horror game.

Even if you find 3PP more immersive; how you can argue that floating behind your character is authentic AT ALL?

I have strong opinions and I grow tired of kowtowing to inferiority/stupidity in old age.

I don't care if I am seen as rude or pretentious.

Let me make that as clear as an unmuddied lake or as clear as an azure sky to all people unfortunate enough to read my rantings.

You should feel free to put me on your ignore list if my attitude grates. I've had your beans anyway, they taste like all the rest.

I am passionate about the ideas behind this game and I have waited my whole life for anything remotely like it.

The revolving door PvP population does nothing for me but to pay for the development and therefore get little of my regard. They are the least creative, least constructive testers.

If you ever take what I post personally (as you must have, sweetheart), you should go back and try to reread what was written objectively.

Opinions are like assholes but informed opinions are like good haircuts, not everyone can have them, and they need to be maintained the right way to be healthy and look good from all angles.

Capiche?

Edited by BioHaze
  • Like 1

Yeah but biohaze is the one who paid for this game so it HAS to be tailored for him and ONLY him lol the rest of us who enjoy the game dont have any say in things because biohaze says we dont feel immersed when we play.

Sheesh, you all should know this by now.

• Like 3

Yeah, I would keep on with the conversation but obviously there's really no point...if the rest if you want to waste your time trying to converse with this guy feel free but I can guarantee it won't get anywhere.

I've reread EVERYTHING I posted here and stand by it all 140%.

In fact, it's all very well worded and fairly clear what my core points were in each post.

If they polish the 1PP and FIX 3PP I WANT 1 HIVE FOR ALL.

^^^This is all I care about.

Though I do enjoy some of the camaraderie in the Experimental and Stable topics (where we focus on the live progression of the game) I did not join DayZ forum to make friends.

My central concern is the quality of this title and that no part of the game is sacrificed due to transitory popular opinion.

Edited by BioHaze
  • Like 1

^Charming but do you care to elaborate on the pic above?

Seriously.

I feel like it can be interpreted more than one way....

Edit: meh, I get it, I think.

Another thing that could be seen either way.

If you go to a private server/hive, I can be there too.

You limit yourself by not playing 1PP only servers.

When we get closer to feature complete, private servers will likely mean a whole lot less.

I can't wait until modding starts and we see someone mod back in the old 3PP into 1.0

:rolleyes:

Edited by BioHaze

Guess what, everyone already has tried first person.  It's an option.  Quit trying to force people to play the way you want them to.  I'm not trying to force you to play how I like to.

People have preference, yours is the minority.  Bummer, deal with it.

• Like 2

Yeah, I would keep on with the conversation but obviously there's really no point...if the rest if you want to waste your time trying to converse with this guy feel free but I can guarantee it won't get anywhere.

Itll be funny when biohaze posts something about the fact nobody argues with him when really its because everyone has him on ignore lol or that the forum is dead because he has everyone on ignore.

Edited by cash81
  • Like 3