Sign in to follow this  
Whyherro123

Primitive Shelters

So, rather obviously, we have tents that can be used to store gear. They are lightweight, portable, and quick to take up and break down. 

However, what happens if we don't have a tent, or want to stay in one place for a while? Run a garden or trap a line, perhaps? Then we might want something a little more permanent and comfortable.

Lean-To:

The Lean-To is the easiest form of shelter to make, just using sticks and leaves/pine needles/brush. A single person can build one with a few hours work. However, they are not fully encapsulating, blocking the wind and weather only on one side.

In that video, the presenter also builds what is known as a "fire wall", which serves to both protect the fire from wind, as well as to reflect the heat into the shelter. Almost necessary when using a lean-to. More on that later.

A-Frame:

Essentially, a lean-to mirrored onto itself. More labor-intensive, but fully enclosed and insulated, and therefore, more comfortable. I've slept in an A-frame outside when it was snowing and -20 degrees Fahrenheight, and I was plenty warm.  It would take a single person quite a while to build an A-frame, but a group can make one in much less time. This makes sense, as A-frames are more suitable for group-survival, being larger, with more "interior space" for gear and sleeping.

There are also some little improvements you can make for a "primitive shelter" that would make your stay more comfortable, as well as being pragmatic for use around camp.

Tripod: You can use a tripod for almost anything, from suspending water over a fire, smoking meat, processing large game, etc. 

Fire reflector: Used for protecting your fire from wind, as well as to make it "more effective"  (AKA lose less heat to the environment around), by reflecting most of the heat into your shelter. 

• Like 31

All my beans are belong to you.

Primitive survival is all about primitive shelters, and we're kidding ourselves if we play a so-called "survival game" without them.

Do it developers. Or we will huff and puff and start a riot up in this place!

Edited by FlimFlamm
  • Like 2

This is exactly the sort of stuff we should be able to craft.

When Rocket first mentioned underground bases all those ages ago i thought that something of that scale and effort was quite unachievable really. Who on earth could build an underground lair with planks of wood and some sheet metal?

This is more like it!  No talk of security codes on doors, turret defenses or personal hand made Terminators to guard your stash.

• Like 8

A blanket or a tarp would be good in the game

Put it over your shoulders and other gear to stay dry

Use a stick with it to make a simple shelter, stay dry, warm, and stash two or three items in it

Your lean-to or A-frame very good

Also hard to spot

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

This is exactly the sort of stuff we should be able to craft.

No talk of security codes on doors, turret defenses or personal hand made Terminators to guard your stash.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Great post, Whyherro123. You've constructed (;)) a thread that accurately conveys what a lot of us are interested in seeing added to the game.

• Like 2

Good suggestion!

I've always wondered why people keep drooling on about these huge barricaded bases with helipads, barracks, garages, jacuzzis, dog houses, neatly mowed lawns and all that jazz... I get it, it's cool, but no matter how well you've barricaded and locked it up, it's still bound to get broken into, quite possibly when you and your guildmates aren't even online to defend it.

It's far better if your base can't be found, or even seen.

• Like 2

Good suggestion!

I've always wondered why people keep drooling on about these huge barricaded bases with helipads, barracks, garages, jacuzzis, dog houses, neatly mowed lawns and all that jazz... I get it, it's cool, but no matter how well you've barricaded and locked it up, it's still bound to get broken into, quite possibly when you and your guildmates aren't even online to defend it.

It's far better if your base can't be found, or even seen.

Pretty much my philosophy as well.

Unless you went out looking for that A-frame shelter, AND knew what to look for, who could honestly tell me they would spot the A-frame set back in the woods? Opposed to a bright-blue tent?

• Like 1

SO, what would we need to construct these shelters?

In the bare-bones-minimum, nothing, asides from willing hands and ready backs. Both of these can be made without rope, an axe/hatchet, a saw, knife, whatever. Just lean sticks up against each other and make sure they are strong. In my class, a shelter was only strong enough if it could support your weight on it. This is so in order to support the weight of insulation material and of snow/rainfall, etc

However, having some tools and materials could make building these faster and easier.

Knife: Used to cut notches in sticks, and to cut bark off (dead) trees for waterproofing. In all seriousness, I don't really use my knife for shelterbuilding all that much

Axe/Hatchet: In almost all instances, I prefer a hatchet over an axe, if just for weight alone. If I need to fell a tree, I use my saw. If I need to cut wood, I use my saw. I only use the hatchet for splitting the wood. Plus, the hatchet can fit into my pack, or under my belt, so if I need it, I will have it, as opposed to a heavy axe I leave back at camp.

Saw: IMO, probably the most important tool for shelterbuilding and wood-processing. Using a saw, I can cut down trees faster than with an axe, with less effort, and cut them into smaller pieces. A good saw also is smaller and weighs less than an axe. You can also carry replacement blades (far more) very easily. You use the saw to cut the cross-members to length.

I prefer bowsaws (or, for the more technical minded, "buck saws", as they can be easily improvised in the field, to the point where you can just carry the blade and make a handle when you need it. I really, like this one, as it folds up nice and looks good. Plus, it is cheap and easy to make.

Improvising a bowsaw handle:

Rope/Cordage: In my opinion, having a supply of rope or cordage is almost necessary in a survival situation, as the uses for it is almost uncountable. I am actually really disappointed the devs haven't included a way to make cordage in-game yet. ( "Guts", to me, don't count. I would use those for other things. To me, using intestines to tie something together is a waste of good material. Use sinew or 2-ply cordage for that)

It is possible to make reasonably-strong cordage from any plant material using the 2-ply-twist method. Grass and Yucca are my favorite, and are actually pretty strong, to the point where, if you make it 1/2 inch thick, I have serious trouble breaking it.

You would use cordage to lash the beams to the uprights, and the cross-members to the beams, for added security.

one of these + two sticks = problem solved. http://www.survivalaids.com/multiterrain-military-poncho-hmtc-camouflage?gclid=CMX92tDc5cUCFWrkwgod64EA1w

packs up nicely and you could wear it in the rain and keep your gear dry 

I own one. Love it.

But I would much prefer to build one of the above in anything other than summer.

wow nice videos.. the 2nd one with the guy making the A frame shelter against a tree was great.

Pretty much my philosophy as well.

Unless you went out looking for that A-frame shelter, AND knew what to look for, who could honestly tell me they would spot the A-frame set back in the woods? Opposed to a bright-blue tent?

Hell I have a hard time spotting my blue tent sometimes lol. 

This is a great suggestion!

The core requirements for this is already in place with tents. Now its simply a matter of creating the scripts to craft tent X , with x+y=item. And the creation of a new model for the improvised shelter.  I'm fairly sure these bright blue tents are not going to be the best we see.