Sign in to follow this  
yazar8

An interesting point about the periodic table.

Alright say hi to our inverted periodic table.

But that's not the case today.

http://i.imgur.com/TYuKv5s.jpg

You might notice that some elements such as (Uub, UUq)  etc. are missing.

Uuu element was found at 1995 which points out that this periodic table was hung up to that wall at 1995 but not after 1996. Because at 1996 UUb was found.

Edited by Yazar8
  • Like 7

Yes, and?

Modern American schools often have books and other things from the early-to-mid 1980s hanging around. Still in use. Which says a lot about the state of American public education, but still.

Not all that signifigant.

Could just be an old periodic table that they had hung up, I mean the school is clearly old and may not have the newest material (such is common in poorer regions) readily available. It could have been placed there at any point after 1995, the school just never got one with an updated bit of information.

Another board in the school has a piece of paper which is clearly talking about some Biology related event happening in February of 2015, so it's not like that has any effect on what time period DayZ takes place in.

school.png

Present day, if anything.

• Like 3

Alright say hi to our inverted periodic table.

But that's not the case today.

http://i.imgur.com/TYuKv5s.jpg

You might notice that some elements such as (Uub, UUq)  etc. are missing.

Uuu element was found at 1995 which points out that this periodic table was hanged to that wall at 1995 but not after 1996. Because at 1996 UUb was found.

I think it's more likely the artist wasn't a science buff and based the art on the wrong source. Interesting find.

Could just be an old periodic table that they had hung up, I mean the school is clearly old and may not have the newest material (such is common in poorer regions) readily available. It could have been placed there at any point after 1995, the school just never got one with an updated bit of information.

Another board in the school has a piece of paper which is clearly talking about some Biology related event happening in February of 2015, so it's not like that has any effect on what time period DayZ takes place in.

school.png

I must admit the paper looks really brand new even considering the apocalypse.

The windows of the school are most likely open, aren't they?

Moisture, wind, rain, dust how could these not affect the paper? How could they not fly away? How could not the colors fade away?

At the other hand, cars outside are rusty, tell me the approx time for a car to be come rusty? 20 years?

The periodic table was placed at 1995, let's say the paper were placed at the same date with the periodic table.

Why is there a 2015 dated paper there then? Why would you talk about something that will happen 20 years later?

And these all lead to more questions, over and over again. 

Like the epipen is also set to expire at April 2015, if the apocalypse struck at 1995, how could there be 20 years lasting epipens? I heard they last 2-3 years.

Edited by Yazar8

Moisture, wind, rain, dust how could these not affect the paper? How could they not fly away? How could not the colors fade away?

At the other hand, cars outside are rusty, tell me the approx time for a car to be come rusty? 20 years?

The periodic table was placed at 1995, let's say the paper were placed at the same date with the periodic table.

Why is there a 2015 dated paper there then? Why would you talk about something that will happen 20 years later?

Like the epipen is also set to expire at April 2015, if the apocalypse struck at 1995, how could there be 20 years lasting epipens? I heard they last 2-3 years.

Because the game clearly does not take place in the 90s - there's plenty of post-2000s stuff in the game. The date has never been officially given (and might not even have a canon point), but there's really no reason to believe it's any earlier than today.

It has been confirmed that ArmA 2's events in Chernarus are canon, and that game took place in 2009, so... do with that what you will. The date is probably one of the least important parts of the lore anyway, though, as the devs have added stuff from a plethora of different time periods.

• Like 2

I think the FAR more important question to ask is not "what year did the apocalypse happen in?", but instead ", how long has it been since the collapse?".

Beleive it or not, there is a signifigant difference between the collapse of society happening a week ago, 6 months ago, or 2 years ago. Namely, what man-made things (particularly, fuels and medicines) would be viable. I think, based on the fact that there is both gasoline in pumps, and that said gasoline still works, the collapse of society was relatively recent, meaning only a couple of months.

• Like 1

More proof that Chernarus is a backwards society...  Need I mention the conspicuous absence of modern technology like computers, and traffic signals?

In Soviet Chernarus, elements organize you by proton and electron count.

More proof that Chernarus is a backwards society...  Need I mention the conspicuous absence of modern technology like computers, and traffic signals?

There are computers, albeit 90's Pentium 1's. Chernarus is a poor country, nothing else to it. Would like to see a more modernized area of it in the future, a large post-Soviet city, with all the modern amenities of a city in Europe.

Ah....

there are totally desktop PCs to be found in Chernarus.

The most interesting fact about the periodic table is that you can reach through it to get on the roof.

Ah....

there are totally desktop PCs to be found in Chernarus.

There are none in the police stations, that's pretty conspicuous.  But maybe that's just to keep all the evidence of corruption in-house.  With the amount of wrecked vehicles around, I would assume that there was a fair amount of resources available in Chernarus.  Not to be taken too seriously, but I also wonder about the lack of telephone booths, and how I can't think of a single microwave oven that I'd seen.  I'm leaning towards a conspiracy to keep things exactly as they were when Chernarus was a happy and thriving state under the magnanimous management of the Soviets.  That periodic table just doesn't seem right.  Nothing past Seaborgium should have been included.  It is an admission of the shortfalls of Communism.

Op is correct. Game is set in around 94 or 95 simply because one of the char skins is dean hall. If you look at dean's hair it is very similar to jim carrey's char lloyd christmas from the movie dumb and dumber which came out in 94.

Fin.

• Like 3

I am so lost. Somebody explain this.....

I'm looking outside my window at a 1985 Toyota Truck...I was born in 1986, therefor, I do not exist.

• Like 1

I am so lost. Somebody explain this.....

The periodic table hung on the wall in the new schools is out of date.  The entire universe of DayZ is therefore set in an alternate reality where knowledge of chemistry and physics stopped progressing in the mid 90's.  It's not really that significant unless you plan on crafting advanced weapons using elements that do not occur naturally on earth,  which decay into lighter elements in mere seconds.  If you did happen to have such plans, I would be very interested to hear how that would work.

• Like 1

Public soviet russian education was better then former and today's US public education.

Because it's most likely set in relatively modern times...

I don't think the potential age of the periodic table used is anything to go on. I still have coins in my wallet that were minted in the 80s.

Helium walks into a bar and orders a beer.

The bartender says: “Sorry, we don’t serve noble gases here.”

He doesn’t react.

• Like 8

Helium walks into a bar and orders a beer.

The bartender says: “Sorry, we don’t serve noble gases here.”

He doesn’t react.

LOL

The periodic table hung on the wall in the new schools is out of date.  The entire universe of DayZ is therefore set in an alternate reality where knowledge of chemistry and physics stopped progressing in the mid 90's.  It's not really that significant unless you plan on crafting advanced weapons using elements that do not occur naturally on earth,  which decay into lighter elements in mere seconds.  If you did happen to have such plans, I would be very interested to hear how that would work.

My god. The things players can find and actually notice in games is crazy. But the coolest thing to me about it is, the devs had thought of this, just waiting for someone to locate it. Like a "easter egg" in a sort. But just something cool. That's nice. GG Devs. 

-SNIP-

If it weren't already 2015 and past February I would have said "It's a hint!" But if anyone cares, did anything specific in relation to the game occur at that date? Maybe it in itself is making a little poke at such event. But doubt it. 

If it weren't already 2015 and past February I would have said "It's a hint!" But if anyone cares, did anything specific in relation to the game occur at that date? Maybe it in itself is making a little poke at such event. But doubt it. 

It's probably about just as meaningless as the periodic table being from 1995. My only point was that DayZ doesn't take place somewhere during the Cold War or 90s, an idea that gets touted off both here and Reddit more often than I'd like.

If anything that date is probably when they created the model/texture for the board there. Nothing more.

It's probably about just as meaningless as the periodic table being from 1995. My only point was that DayZ doesn't take place somewhere during the Cold War or 90s, an idea that gets touted off both here and Reddit more often than I'd like.

If anything that date is probably when they created the model/texture for the board there. Nothing more.

Good point. But I was just curious. GOD WHY DID YOU HAVE TO SHATTER MY DREAMS ALL THE TIME CHAINGUNFIGHTER