Sign in to follow this  
Draco122

Bark Bowls!

So an idea I had about the concept of cooking pots and natural crafting was the idea around Bark Bowls. These can be made from Birch Bark.

The way I see it, you can cut out a piece of bark from a birch tree and with some work you can craft a birch bark bowl with maybe an ashwood stick or some regular sticks like in the video. This can be used as a makeshift cooking pot, it will be made ruined very quickly after only a few uses but allows you to cook at least a few pieces of meat on a fire with a stone oven or even a cooking tripod.

• Like 1

So an idea I had about the concept of cooking pots and natural crafting was the idea around Bark Bowls. These can be made from Birch Bark.

The way I see it, you can cut out a piece of bark from a birch tree and with some work you can craft a birch bark bowl with maybe an ashwood stick or some regular sticks like in the video. This can be used as a makeshift cooking pot, it will be made ruined very quickly after only a few uses but allows you to cook at least a few pieces of meat on a fire with a stone oven or even a cooking tripod.

Or, you know, you could heat up rocks in the fire, then drop them into the birchbark bowl to boil it. Lets you reuse the bowl effectively indefinitely (the bowl does not get damaged by the heat in any way using this method, as opposed to the above, where the bowl will get destroyed very quickly), and saves you both time and effort. Hell, the guy who made all three videos linked to recommends boiling using rocks as opposed to boiling on coals, for the reasons I explained above.

I don't understand everyone fascination with roasting meat on a fire. It is the most inefficient means of cooking meat, both in regards to the loss of caloric energy due to cooking, as well as the time and effort it takes to cook the meat. You also don't need to cook the meat on a stick or in a bowl to roast it; just throw it on a hot rock next to the fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnY8Bx0Hn1I

Boiling is faster, safer (the meat is guaranteed to be perfectly cooked), as well as more "efficient" (you can effectively get all the nutrition from the meat by drinking the broth made from boiling it.) I almost never roast any meat I get when in the bush; I boil it with some bones and wild foragables into a soup/stew-type deal.

Edited by Whyherro123

As a related aside, I really hope we eventually can make baskets and containers from birch bark. They are very useful things; lightweight, relatively tough, waterproof. Hell, I am working on two right now, for the exact purpose I explained above.

Ray Mears (probably one of the "best" bushcrafters around today, in my opinion) uses modern glue in two of the above videos, but you can (and he does, in the second) make glue in the bush by mixing crushed charcoal and melted pine resin together. Charcoal, obviously, comes from fires, an pine resin can be found on pine trees, which are in-game. Quite simple to make, extremely useful, and effective. 

• Like 1

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/225481-hermit-playstyle-enchancement/

Hermit playstyle enhancement thread.

Personally, on day zero, I'd be willing to walk 2 kilometers into town and rob any house.  They'd probably have a spare bowl, seeing as how they don't really expire.