Sign in to follow this  
dorn956

NPC Bodies as Events (Clarification)

Simple stuff. Corpses in random locations that bare loot as events similar to heli-crashes or cop cars.

I want the corpses to be focused as events, not so much for atmosphere. They are meant to be harbingers of common loot that you could find on most people in any apocalyptic situation. 

I.E. - A pistol that's already loaded with a clip and ammunition (maybe not full clip because the person tried to defend themselves from zombies?). Maybe the body has a few zombies around it? Maybe there should be another new zombie animation where the zombie is eating the body?

Hey new idea - have zombies actually eat humans instead of just slapping them! x)

Well let me illustrate the scenario as best I can for you visual people out there:

You walk into a room and you carefully open the door... There's a dead man on the floor with a zombie feasting on his flesh with its back turned to you, so it's not going to aggro you till you're very close, because it's clearly busy with dinner. You kill the zombie and you examine the man's body; He has a hat on with head tilted down (for he has no life to hold it up), he sits against a wall with a shallow pool of dried blood surrounding him, he wears simple clothing and holds a pistol in his left hand. When you search him, the things you see are the things you can get.

(Maybe that's another idea already suggested? Military zombies are wearing military gear. Maybe we can loot them and their conditions would always be badly-damaged/ruined?)

In the pistol the man was holding is a single clip, only half full. It seems as if he attempted to shoot the zombie before he was murdered? This gives an in-depth sense of realism - and quite frankly, I don't think anyone playing the alpha will complain if there's no actual blood, just a dead body (entity, not player) and a crawler zombie with its face in the body (to give the illusion of being eaten).

The type of experience you get from the game as of this moment and time is dominated by player-interaction. No contest. To be perfectly honest, this game was meant to be about surviving the apocalypse, but with the way zombies behaved (and behave now, I think they're a bit unbalanced but I'm certain they aren't finished yet - that's a given), and the atmosphere not being interactive in any other way except opening doors and drinking from wells, the game is only about "who's watching me" and "should I shoot".

• Like 3

Yeah i am a fan of random things like this......fire trucks....overturned food trucks (twinkies), bodies hanging from rafters.....lots more blood!

And there are animations of zombies eating bodies, though i havent really seen them ingame atm.

Yeah i am a fan of random things like this......fire trucks....overturned food trucks (twinkies), bodies hanging from rafters.....lots more blood!

And there are animations of zombies eating bodies, though i havent really seen them ingame atm.

Do keep in mind the purpose is not solely for guts & gore though... It's a strong factor to the atmosphere, but it's even stronger in the sense of interactivity. We interact with only a few set things in DayZ as it is:

Doors, Players, Wells, Trucks, Weapons, Food,Zombies, and Items in general.

The biggest ones are Players and Zombies (but zombies just prove to be a nuisance). Why not add bodies with items as a common random event? Why have to search half of chernarus for two hours just to find one heli-crash that's probably already looted? These will add a lot more of a goal than just scouting for items. Now you have bodies, and they're larger objectives too. Maybe they're guarded? Maybe they're booby-trapped? Time to find out, I say.

Yeah i am a fan of random things like this.....

Me too!

Some time ago a nice mock-up/suggestion was posted on reddit, wich make more sense now since food & supplies will become rarer (CLE)

oYa19xc.jpg

---

And so, NPC bodies concept are also part of it (random events).

+1

It would be great if a large database could be created packed full of random events - and maybe 6-10 were chosen every server restart and spawned on the map.

It was one of the best things about Fallout 3 coming across a random event in the Wasteland.

• Like 1

I.E. - A pistol that's already loaded with a clip and ammunition (maybe not full clip because the person tried to defend themselves from zombies?). Maybe the body has a few zombies around it? Maybe there should be another new zombie animation where the zombie is eating the body?

I like the idea of seeing bodies and taking a look at them to see if they had anything interesting when they died.

Maybe for your handgun suggestion you'll find someone once in a while who has a handgun that saved the last cartridge for themselves? You now have a handgun and a magazine with no ammunition.

It would be great if a large database could be created packed full of random events - and maybe 6-10 were chosen every server restart and spawned on the map.

It was one of the best things about Fallout 3 coming across a random event in the Wasteland.

Agreed. While the focus of DayZ content should be on player interaction, more unique/dynamic world features could greatly improve the experience, either solo or multiplayer. Things like a crashed grocery store supply truck outside some random minor town would be cool. Imagine:

You see it while running through the wilderness, and tell your crew, so they bring a pickup truck from your base. When you break the door open, you fond that the truck's security system is still active, and a loud alarm begins to sound. You and one squadmate decide to hastily move the goods into your truck while the rest of the squad fends off the incoming hordes of zombies. One of your squadmates goes down from gunfire; another squad has heard the alarm and plans to take the canned goods for themselves. An intense zombie-overrun firefight ensues...

(I actually made a thread about this here http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/224671-potential-new-dynamic-events-for-dayz/ )

• Like 2