Sign in to follow this  
Weyland Yutani (DayZ)

Hunting Scope Replacing The Long Range Scope?

If it is, imo its kind of lame that long range affairs are constantly being nerfed. 

I've used the Mosin since SA release and watched it go through a series of nerfs. Its my best friend in Chernarus. The big issue here is the new hunting scope has no zoom on it.

Why do they keep beating down sniping? Its not like its OP or anything. I can count on one hand the times I've been sniped from a long range distance in 2.5k hours and thats not running around the hills all by myself either.

Winchester is sweet, but come on guys...quit digging on snipers. Takes more skill to snipe than pray-n-spray with an AKM w/a drum mag.

• Like 2

You simply got used to a game mechanic or item that was never meant to be permanent.

Fixed power scopes are a good thing imo they are an easy disadvantage to long range optics that force the player to be more careful.

The Variable zoom in the LRS allowed it to be used nearly as well as a red dot being great at long range and extreme short range.

And lastly no it does not take any more "skill" to snipe someone in dayz compared to running and gunning.

Not unless they ad mil turrets and wind.

The LRS is only being removed because it was a placeholder scope used exclusively on the Mosin - they're adding more optics and whatnot to 'replace' it so that they can be used on a wider variety of other rifles, and I wouldn't doubt that a variable zoom scope will be added at some point in the future (especially if they add a military bolt action)

I really don't think you can say that anything suggests sniping is being nerfed; sure, the LRS will be gone and the Mosin will only have the PU scope, but just in the last update alone we got the god-damn SVD, as well as the VSS Vintorez, and a new scope that works on four different rifles, and even now the ability to put a scope on the crossbow!

I don't think you can honestly say that sniping is being degraded in any form, especially considering that there's an actual sniper rifle in the game.

• Like 2

i'm glad just for the fact that the zoom was lame as hell i don't like it in the mod either you can blast folks too easily but thats opinion now if it was variable zoom and you actually had to change it i would be fine with it but a magical zoom like i said is lame to me glad its gone if it is.

Yeah, the game actually has a purpose-built sniper rifle now, it's hard to argue they are targeting "snipers". Also, mosin + pu is plenty deadly.

• Like 2

Hate to break it too ya'll, but the Hunting Scope should be and will be 12x, a big increase over the LRS.(Look in Devtracker) Right now it's like 2.9x which is worse then the PU, it will have variable zoom(Read the description) and should have zeroing.

• Like 3

a new scope that works on four different rifles

Five, actually :)

Even though it wasn't included in their initial compatibility list, it would seem it works with the Trumpet as well (in addition to the Blaze 95, Sporter, CR527, and Winchester).

• Like 3

"The last prototype I would like to mention is the one which was done for the advanced crafting. It’s flexible enough to be used as a field crafting and also table crafting. The point is that you need to put all your items from which you want to craft something new in front of you then equip right tool in your hand and directly interact with the item pool to produce the desired new crafted item. This solution is giving us few important possibilities like adding meaning to the plethora of tools we already have in game, crafting complex items without need of intermediate products which are most of the time useless. As well, turn some of the stationary tables with machinery in houses and industry structures to crafting tables where you will be able to produce crafted rails for scopes, modify weapons and do other advanced processes."

http://www.dayztv.com/video/dayz-status-report-highlight-17-feb-2015-v3s-civilian-crafting-central-economy/

Reading comprehension is the ability to read text, process it and understand its meaning. An individual's ability to comprehend text is influenced by their traits and skills, one of which is the ability to make inferences.

*weeps quietly*

Edited by BioHaze

The main problem right now is that the hunting scope is bugged, and does not magnify to 12x like it's supposed to.

I'm glad the mosin will only use the LRS, for authenticity purpose, as since the start we could clearly see the scope was in the way of the reload the mechanism. 

But then again, it's all placeholder, just like the 5 round clip, which only let's you press "r" to reload, and doesn't do it's job as you still load each round individually, instead of using the said clip to load the gun in a single move.

Having the VSS and SVD just adds much more sniping tacticool to the game, which personally I could have avoided completely as I don't play DayZ for military simulation or shooter reasons... But, to each his own!!   ;)

• Like 2

Five, actually :)

Even though it wasn't included in their initial compatibility list, it would seem it works with the Trumpet as well (in addition to the Blaze 95, Sporter, CR527, and Winchester).

All the better.

I'm actually glad they gave that capability to the Trumpet, because it makes it capable of exactly what it's intended to be; a collapsible survival rifle meant mostly for hunting. All of the .22 weapons in DayZ are actually some of the most interesting choices; none are the best for dealing with players, but all of them have a niche that nothing else really fills.

• Like 1

There was some clear sniper hate for a long time by the team, they've said as much in either streams or posts that they were afraid of people sniping fresh spawns getting out of hand (something they should not try to regulate at all in a sandbox).

Does seem to be improving finally though.

I still think they should bring back the zoom levels of the mod however, for normal looking/sights.  Medium-long range fights in the SA still pale greatly in comparison to arma/the mod and it's a shame.  I don't want to need a scope to have a medium range engagement.  I could happily shoot guys with ironsights at 200-300m in the mod.

The scope is not working as intended. The LRS is also bugged, I had one in EXP and both those scopes are the same.

And lastly no it does not take any more "skill" to snipe someone in dayz compared to running and gunning.

Disagree. AKM, drum mag is like shooting fish in a barrel at close quarters. Shooting a running 3-9 target at 600+ meters takes skill.

I really don't think you can say that anything suggests sniping is being nerfed; sure, the LRS will be gone and the Mosin will only have the PU scope, but just in the last update alone we got the god-damn SVD, as well as the VSS Vintorez, and a new scope that works on four different rifles, and even now the ability to put a scope on the crossbow!

I don't think you can honestly say that sniping is being degraded in any form, especially considering that there's an actual sniper rifle in the game.

Of course I can say it and I will say it, sniping has been nerfed several x since SA released. If you're not seeing it, you haven't played enough or used the gun enough to realize it. You can't even lay down and snipe anymore as the POV goes all haywire making it impossible to see where the shot lands. Sit crouched, aim at 12 now your facing 3 after the shot. So you can put a pistol scope on a crossbow, who cares? Its had optics since the jump and nobody uses it...for a reason. Unless your living off the land that is.

The SVD and Vintorez use the same dang scope ffs. Nobody used the SVD in the mod because it sucked and nobody is going to use it in SA either. Just another Trumpet, mark my words. 10 round mag, who cares when the optics are ass.

Of course I can say it and I will say it, sniping has been nerfed several x since SA released. If you're not seeing it, you haven't played enough or used the gun enough to realize it. You can't even lay down and snipe anymore as the POV goes all haywire making it impossible to see where the shot lands. Sit crouched, aim at 12 now your facing 3 after the shot. So you can put a pistol scope on a crossbow, who cares? Its had optics since the jump and nobody uses it...for a reason. Unless your living off the land that is.

It's harder but that's as it should be. Sniping was also "nerfed" in ACE mod and ARMA 3...

The SVD and Vintorez use the same dang scope ffs. Nobody used the SVD in the mod because it sucked and nobody is going to use it in SA either. Just another Trumpet, mark my words. 10 round mag, who cares when the optics are ass.

Not quite the same scope, if you pick up a VSS you will find it is a different version. No one used the SVD in the mod because it was uncommon gun with uncommon mags and the DMR was better in every way and rifle and ammo was much easier to find. The SVD in standalone has a rangefinder, the second most powerful optic in the game with zeroing to 1000 meters and is also the only semi-automatic rifle using a full-power cartridge (or will be once the Model 70 is fixed) so yeah, people will use it. If they can find it.

Been playing the mod again while waiting for the patch.  Here's some one I shot tonight, firestation to firestation in elektro.

q06y2sB.jpg

This is what I mean when I say I wish you weren't forced to use a scope for even that sort of distance in the SA.  I really don't know why they've made the zoom levels what they are.

As for the SVD, I know people who liked it in the mod but Gews's points are pretty spot on for why most people didn't.  I was never really a fan of the DMR myself, since it was the go to weapon of everyone.  The SVD was nice for range finding, though personally I used to just like the m24.  In any case, I think it will be popular in the SA if people can find it.  It's the only semi auto of that caliber right now.

Do agree with all your other points again though, Weyland.  There were periods where you couldn't even see shot impacts at all past a certain range, and while that wasn't a sniping exclusive problem, it mainly affected it and took a back seat to being fixed for a long time.  There's also the much reduced impact graphics in general from the mod, so even when they are working it's incredibly difficult to see them at range on most surfaces.  That's besides the awful jump on vision too when ever you shoot.

I don't think anyone can argue against the SA trying to force short range engagements, between a ton of changes over the mod.  I don't like it personally, most people who play in my experience resort to short range engagements even in the mod.  Most people aren't confident in long range shooting, so why punish those who are or want to take the time to practice?  There's room for both play styles.

I don't think anyone can argue against the SA trying to force short range engagements, between a ton of changes over the mod.  I don't like it personally, most people who play in my experience resort to short range engagements even in the mod.  Most people aren't confident in long range shooting, so why punish those who are or want to take the time to practice?  There's room for both play styles.

Up until a while ago I would have disagreed because although the zoom was less than the mod it was the exact same as in ARMA 3, and that game certainly doesn't force short-range encounters... but then in 0.55 someone reduced the zoom YET ANOTHER DAMN TIME so it's now less than half of the mod and inconsistent to boot. That annoyed me more than anything these last two patches and they better revert it. Hunting scope is not an example of this, though.

I took three screenshots from the same location, one in the mod, one in 0.54, one in 0.55... it really is drastic...

zZYyD2X.png

There's only one reason they should be increasing or decreasing that second level of zoom and that's to try to find a value that best portrays the average human visual acuity on the average monitor.

Edited by Gews

Thanks for the comparisons Gews.  Also sorry to derail a bit, just seemed the topic was diverging to sniping in general and it's something that always bugs me.

It's interesting that they nerfed it again.  I hadn't checked out the SA in a bit to be honest, but I did about a week ago and I noticed an extreme difference after having played a good amount of arma 3 lately.  At first I thought it was just more severe than I remembered, but that makes more sense, especially if it had previously been the same as arma 3.

The thing about arma 3 in comparison though, at least from my very limited experience of mainly playing koth/epoch, is that even mid range optics like acogs are a lot more prevalent in it and function better.

There's another elephant in the room in vein of this discussion, in that they also have yet to address the FOV exploit.  I don't use it personally, but in nearly every video I watch people do. 

Edited by Bororm

The thing about arma 3 in comparison though, at least from my very limited experience of mainly playing koth/epoch, is that even mid range optics like acogs are a lot more prevalent in it and function better.

Yup, none of the 3D optics in DayZ magnify properly. I wonder if it's just because they think it would look bad with the textures etc being stretched across one's screen. Either way it's annoying. Reticle dimensions on those are off too IIRC.

There's another elephant in the room in vein of this discussion, in that they also have yet to address the FOV exploit.  I don't use it personally, but in nearly every video I watch people do.

I never understood the point of this slider, it only created this issue. ARMA 3 does fine without it. Until we get back a decent default zoom and until we get proper optics magnification I don't really care though (ie: slider left = proper LRS magnification, slider left = mod eyesight). It doesn't affect PVP nearly as much as some other features.

You don't need an LRS to snipe. Or a moisin. I carry an ska with a picture and do very well. I'm not making 500m shots but that doesn't make it any less of an effective sniper weapon. Concealment and patience make a sniper, not the weapon.

Edited by Bigbadchuck

As written above the Hunting Scope is supposed to have quite a lot of zoom. Also the new Winchester is quite a good weapon on it's own (though a little less accurate than the Mosin due to lack of compensator) and .308 rounds can be stacked twice as high as 7.62x54mmR (probably an oversight). Together with two additional precision rifles (SVD and VSS) as well has more rifles being able to mount a scope now I don't think sniping will be nerfed.

I never understood the point of this slider, it only created this issue. ARMA 3 does fine without it.

You need a FoV slider because different screen sizes and types (distance) require a differnt FoV. Having it too narrow can cause people to get sick while having it too wide might look ugly and hurt orientation.

As written above the Hunting Scope is supposed to have quite a lot of zoom. Also the new Winchester is quite a good weapon on it's own (though a little less accurate than the Mosin due to lack of compensator) and .308 rounds can be stacked twice as high as 7.62x54mmR (probably an oversight). Together with two additional precision rifles (SVD and VSS) as well has more rifles being able to mount a scope now I don't think sniping will be nerfed.

You need a FoV slider because different screen sizes and types (distance) require a differnt FoV. Having it too narrow can cause people to get sick while having it too wide might look ugly and hurt orientation.

Most games don't handle FOV with an on the go slider like that though.

That was never a problem for those who needed it, just edit fovLeft and fovTop... it does the same thing except you can't change it without restarting the game.

Also the new Winchester is quite a good weapon on it's own (though a little less accurate than the Mosin due to lack of compensator) and .308 rounds can be stacked twice as high as 7.62x54mmR (probably an oversight).

Maybe stats say something different, but I'm all over the Winchester atm. Iron site accuracy seems leagues better than the current Mosin. Also, the damage seems stronger with the Winchester. One shotting everything that moves. Mohsin in stable atm, sometimes shooting 2-3x to drop a zed at close range from the hip...bullet is landing just not dropping them.

In my opinion the entirety of the map has been made with nerfing sniping in mind.

The main problem right now is that the hunting scope is bugged, and does not magnify to 12x like it's supposed to.

I'm glad the mosin will only use the LRS, for authenticity purpose, as since the start we could clearly see the scope was in the way of the reload the mechanism. 

But then again, it's all placeholder, just like the 5 round clip, which only let's you press "r" to reload, and doesn't do it's job as you still load each round individually, instead of using the said clip to load the gun in a single move.

Having the VSS and SVD just adds much more sniping tacticool to the game, which personally I could have avoided completely as I don't play DayZ for military simulation or shooter reasons... But, to each his own!!   ;)

Hate to break it to you but they invented the 10 round mag for it. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVE2L-D4AUY

Since the date is well into the future, we have lots of time for new inventions haha

and remember its all character animations, with time to reload the mosin the way you all want it loaded. Hitting R is ok with me as long as the animation displays it as reloading bullet by bullet into the magazine.

Edited by TheSneakyDude