Sign in to follow this  
FlimFlamm

Boiling with Stones and the Burn Bowl

I'll keep it short and sweet: boiling with rocks.

It's possible to boil water by placing heated rocks from the fire into the water vessel and removing them and repeating the process. You can purify water this way and you can also cook food this way.

Why would anyone want to do this you ask?

Burn bowls.

A burn bowl can be made from any old hunk of wood and some embers. It requires you to sit there and do a lot of blowing and scraping but the result is a wooden bowl that you can use to boil water in via the heated stone method.

I have been unable to find pots when I really want them, and so this could be a great way of achieving the same result without having to rely on luck.

Obviously the wooden bowl would not be as good as the pot, one of the spaces would be used for stones, and it would take longer and more work to bring the water to a boil because you would need to shift stones around, but it would get the job done.

It could be made from a log, a knife and a fire of some kind, potentially taking a very long crafting phase in order to make it feel realistic.

If you have any doubts or curiosity, just watch this video! :

The game mechanics are basically already there. Things can absorb heat when in the fire and then diffuse it when they are placed on your body. Have something similar happen for water in pots and burn bowls.

Edited by FlimFlamm
  • Like 2

So If anyone didn't catch it, the new barrel is really sweet and looks like is going to perform a very large number of functions.

http://www.dayztv.com/video/dayz-0-56-multi-purpose-barrels-first-look/

Given the potential importance of these functions, the burn bowl could provide an improvised way to perform some of them on a small scale, in addition to the cooking pot!

Would a skull work in the same way?

• Like 2

Would a skull work in the same way?

is it weird i read this in snakes voice?
  • Like 1

is it weird i read this in snakes voice?

Lol now you got me doin it to!