Sign in to follow this  
Luftpancake

Choke Hold

Hello views! I believe that choke holds should be implemented in the standalone. If a player were to sneak up behind a zombie A.I or player he would get an option to "Choke" via scroll menu if  he was behind their back. The choke would be a 15 second animation of the player choking somebody out using their arms, also known as a "Choke hold". The victim would go unconscious and wake up in exactly one real life minute. However, the victim can pry the attackers arm off of the victims neck by rapidly moving their mouse left to right for 10 seconds, if they do not shake it fast enough they will still go unconscious. If the victim has a knife or machete in their hands and do a "stab the attacker in the arm" animation, forcing the attacking to let go in intense pain. If the victim is looking at you or sideways, you cannot choke them. You can choke a prone person, and a crouched person, different animations for each, similar to the mocap melee mod for arma 3. Zombies on the other hand will die after you are done choking them, or get knocked down. The attacker, when choking another, will also shake his mouse right to left to make his or her grip stronger, lessining the time for the victim to go unconscious. If the grip on the victim is wimpy the victim can easily walk out of it or pry the attackers arms off of them. So, that's my two cents, what do you guys think? 

Edited by BillNyeTheRussianSpy
  • Like 3

While I think this would be cool, I don't like the idea of any forced actions like this on people (Ones that sort of lock you into an animation basically), which I guess can be argued with handcuffs and rope and whatnot, but a takedown like that just goes a bit too far to me, even if you can break free from it. Plus, would it only work if you get them from the back, is it only a chance thing, because what if you're in a fight with someone, all you would have to do is exploit this little takedown (Using it over and over until you get it locked). It would just, eh, not seeing this work for this game (Sorry for the poor sentence structure of literally everything, been sick and tired and bleh)

• Like 1

If movement gets improved with sprinting all the time not an option and momentum effects are added, I could see something like this working but only on other players and not infected. The reason for the movement caveat is that Dayz characters are at the moment way too twitchy, zipping around so as to make meaningful melee very difficult: exploitation would be too easy.

• Like 1

I agree with both of you, i'm sure there would be some way to fix any kind of exploiting of it. Maybe if your getting shot at or swung at you cannot do it, if the person has saw you in first person or third person within a 2 minute time span you will not be able to preform a take down.I agree on the lock on thing, but there is really no other way they could possibly go about adding it. The only way i thought of countering the annoying lock on thing is for the attacker actually having to put work into it by shaking his mouse rapidly, or else his character would let go. 

And i'm not talking about adding this now (sorry i should have mentioned that earlier) i'm talking about adding this in when the game's engine is smooth enough and desync is not terrible so it would be fair and not glitchy.

The problem with a choke hold, is that, IF you are not trained in the technique, you can quite easily kill someone. These are not well trained military solders we are talking about, they are survivors. Intelligent mind you, yes, and resourcefull, but, not well trained in hand to hand combat techniques.

• Like 1

The problem with a choke hold, is that, IF you are not trained in the technique, you can quite easily kill someone. These are not well trained military solders we are talking about, they are survivors. Intelligent mind you, yes, and resourcefull, but, not well trained in hand to hand combat techniques.

Well heck man, i'm fine with killing somebody if i have too. Especially those pesky bandits i tend to stumble apon. I usually befriend them and later knock them over the head. Good point anyway bro.