staticvortx

Status report lateness

I love DayZ. I lap up every piece of official info like a delicious cream bun. I think the devs are doing a stand-up job in an unknown world of Early Access development.

BUT.
Their official communications are deeply lacking in professionalism. The status reports are ok, but hastily written, often with very bad article structure. Hicks has a slightly rambling writing style, leading to confusion where none is needed.
The official DayZ website is very ropey at best. It's got poor mobile/tablet compatibility, and the style design is very 5-10 years ago.
For such a media driven form of entertainment, the lack of videos, non-screenshot images and other tech demos is concerning. They said a few reports back that they would be changing this, but very quickly fell back in to old habits.
The Trello board is a great idea, but really only Chris Torchia uses it regularly. It also lacks depth.
The official forums are also good idea, but communication is intermittent. It can be weeks in between an official dev response. The sound guy, Andrej, is particular quiet (ho ho), with a mere 2 post in 4 months.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/36zeil/about_the_status_reports/crir7u0 this comment is one of the best to describe the current situation with DayZ's development. I am agreeing to the parts, which i have not deleted here. 

Edited by PaniXx

Because you RUN for a gun instead of finding and planting seeds. And the loot is fine if you don't stand along the coast hoping to find that one forgotten can of peaches :P

Love,

hope it doesn't turn into Farmville... I think I saw that game for 12.99 somewhere online.

I am all for planting pumpkin seeds though....... I love them fried, buttery and salty. Yummy

and for stinking reports.... do this Devs

Its being updated, fools!

.....and Devs get back to work, slaves!!!!!! you have no time to sit there on the forums giving us updates.

At least you get reports when they do, hell I would be happy if they stop giving us so many details. Around beta would be good for details, alpha isn't so important.

Major details are important, but they can be said in the developer's corner.

I am happy to say, this gave me the chance to polish up on my programming skills and learn how to mod in Arma 3. I am able to understand Dayz more now, and how it was created.

Good job btw :0

is it just me or it seems like these status reports are always late. There suppose to be every week (i think) but its been 7 days AGAIN. I WANT TO KNOW DAYZ STUFF NOWW!!!!

but seriously, all it does is make the community lose respect in the team. If you dont want to post a status report, than dont say you will,or AT LEASE SAY THAT YOUR WORKING ON IT AND IT WILL BE LATE OR SOMETHING. 

If you've noticed, the status reports have been progressively slim. I think they're just having a hard time finding stuff to write about. A few reports ago, Hicks' writing reminded me of some papers I wrote in college that I had to have a word count on. Dragged out...

People know what they're fixing and imo, its just a case of they don't have enough to write about. Jmo...

Not cool that we cant get at least weekly status report, or what ever its called. Other games in EA have weekly devblogs, and I think they are smaller teams. Hell, there are modding teams that do one or more streams every week, and they work for free. I like how team that makes 2017 mod has regular streams with work on their new map. Some other teams also did streams while working on game. I cant belive that DayZ is so secret. Are they afraid someone will steal their ideas?? In my opinion, best competition for SA comes from their own backyard, its Arma 3 mods and DayZ mod!

I think there is enough people working on game that they can spare 4 or 5 hours weekly to make devblog or at least monthly video blog.

Well, you also have to ask yourself are these dev's that program all day or forum mods that post information?

You do have to hire someone to handle these PR affairs. I would not want my programmers posting on Images, videos, and all the hyped blah blah. Programmers are that, coders that make the game what it is. You cant expect them to be able to forum hop and expect perfect responses each and every day, week, month.

A project leader should not be posting much of anything other then in Dev updates, etc... to have them do random responses is great, better then great about the insides of any game.

This is why we have PR people, and Forum Mods to handle the other affairs of the game. Remember this isn't all set in stone, its alpha things do change.

Suggest solid examples of what you want information on, and not spam "I don't get my paper in the morning" attitudes. It does help you know.

Not carring much. let them work. I take lenghty breaks between playing. I guess i lead some chars to their doom today given the impending whipe.

Why isn't the renderer in? Why are Zombies broken? Why is gam n0 fix?

jk

its a joke but its so true

Why are People so impatient...this game is at least 1 year from 1.0

...gosh

In reality when they say 2016 this entails the whole month of december from that year too.... :D

plus..why the f..did i go on reddit/Sub for dayZ today...that place is getting worse and worse....

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel

Hicks tweeted there would be a report every week, which makes it seem like he meant to get one out.  Just say you're not going to do it, if you're not.

There's about 3 pages worth of gossiping/arguing/chatting with people on his twitter feed since that tweet too, so the idea that he doesn't have time? yeah... sure.

Actually here we go, just found this one

So since he has no news, and people get "angry" when the report reads the same thing, he's just going to avoid the situation altogether and not do one.  Nice.

Edited by Bororm

So since he has no news, and people get "angry" when the report reads the same thing, he's just going to avoid the situation altogether and not do one. Nice.

I read that frustration is a dominant cause of aggression. The quickest way to start a riot is to give people hope and then let them down.

He should have just written about the current progress on those two critical issues.

Edited by scriptfactory