staticvortx

Status report lateness

it's not always easy to think about writing a weekly update report when you're spending most of your time on yachts with average looking women....it's just not, and they're not sorry.

If you go back and read the context hopefully it'll be clear that I was mocking people who say/ask these things. :D

9a95721e-ce58-4f8e-b73c-3f4b5bed4e44_zps     :)

Edited by LoveAffair

These would be valid if they weren't consistently late on them.

What if you had an employee who is just consistently late to work? A friend who consistently shows up late to whatever? Punctuality matters, especially if you want people to take you seriously professionally.

Like others have said, if they aren't going to be on time, don't set a date to begin with. Saying you're going to do something, then failing to do it, a lot, which is the case here, is completely fair game to be criticized.

If they've got nothing to show, just say as much and then include the things they missed in the next one. There's no real excuse, it's a few paragraphs. If they don't wanna do it on time, don't say they're going to be X day.

Us paying to test their game is the only courtesy around here. I'm not trying to come across as some entitled gamer, but that's the situation. If they can't have the decency to follow through on something simple like a status report, then it's only fair they lose some respect. It's not the end of the world, but why defend laziness?

Think about how many tweets and stuff they throw out, if they just focused that energy on writing a couple paragraphs instead it would be a non-issue. Hell they could compile their tweets and make that the report. The point is to get something out because that's what they said they were going to do.

Like you said.. it's a simple status report. Ever stop bitching long enough to think maybe they're actually putting that time into working on the game? Seriously dude its a status report, who cares if it's late... get a grip

Like you said.. it's a simple status report. Ever stop bitching long enough to think maybe they're actually putting that time into working on the game? Seriously dude its a status report, who cares if it's late... get a grip

I care about accountability.  I care about people saying they are going to do something, then not doing it.  That either shows they are lazy at best, or a liar at worst.  It's the principle, if you can't understand that I don't know what to tell you, guess I just hold people to a higher standard than you.  If you wanna criticize me for that, I'm afraid you're wasting your time.

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 1

Alot of helpful info in the dev blogs/twitter .. would do you good to read them every so often

No idea how to get a twitter and don't read the blog.

I come here for news and there isn't any again.  I agree, the update news is very late again.

• Like 2

The people who work on the game are not the same people who work on the updates, forum posts and the twitter/blog things.

Different employees, different job descriptions and neither do the same work.

Someone isn't doing their job.

• Like 2

Status reports are a courtesy to us.

Read a book while you wait.. or make up your own status report and compare when they do come out. Just don't bitch and demand

I love this idea! Here's mine:

tux's official status report for May 23rd 2015:

Hey guys, dev tux here. We've been hard at work making the game more like what people on the forums want, so here's a short list of things that are new:

• We heard all of the complaints that it's too hard to find food, so we took the need to eat or drink out of the equation. Everyone knows this game is just a massive PvP simulator, and BI's response to GTA V, so who were we kidding with all those dumb survival mechanics that were previously added.
  • The zombies were really hard to kill and avoid, and got in the way of all the juicy PvP, so we just decided to remove them from the game indefinitely. They were buggy and broken anyway, so why have them at all? If we spend more time working on them we won't have time to work on all of the other sweet features we have planned like a working weather system, modding support, and the single player campaign.
  • We realized that the setting for Dayz was in the Czech Republic, where there really is no weather, so we've decided to remove weather and temperature all together, despite the previous bullet point.
  • LOL we have your money now so we've just decided to stop working altogether on this game and to let it die. H1Z1 is a better game anyway.
  • Here's a screencap of some of our latest work:

5kc7ZkN.jpg

I'll be taking bets on how close my status report is to the actual status report (if it's ever released wtf devs).

Edited by tux
  • Like 1

I care about accountability.  I care about people saying they are going to do something, then not doing it.  That either shows they are lazy at best, or a liar at worst.  It's the principle, if you can't understand that I don't know what to tell you, guess I just hold people to a higher standard than you.  If you wanna criticize me for that, I'm afraid you're wasting your time.

But as has been explained before, there are reasons for as to why status reports come later than usual, and they never seem to include "we're lazy and don't want to give the playerbase this update." You might not be the kind of person that finds excuses valid if something was "promised" beforehand (I'm not entirely sure it was, though), but that doesn't change the fact that they are there.

Although I must say that it's not really logical to hold people accountable for everything they say (it's not unreasonable, as things should go how they're said) because it doesn't take into account any possible differentiation and the fact that unexpected events can pop up changing the course of what was said. Plus, it's not like you were promised a status report on that day, but moreso you were told quite some time back that status reports would now be released on a new schedule, and the glaringly obvious fact that it won't happen every time. Your expectations are slightly high, yes.

But as has been explained before, there are reasons for as to why status reports come later than usual, and they never seem to include "we're lazy and don't want to give the playerbase this update." You might not be the kind of person that finds excuses valid if something was "promised" beforehand (I'm not entirely sure it was, though), but that doesn't change the fact that they are there.

Although I must say that it's not really logical to hold people accountable for everything they say (it's not unreasonable, as things should go how they're said) because it doesn't take into account any possible differentiation and the fact that unexpected events can pop up changing the course of what was said. Plus, it's not like you were promised a status report on that day, but moreso you were told quite some time back that status reports would now be released on a new schedule, and the glaringly obvious fact that it won't happen every time. Your expectations are slightly high, yes.

unexpected events can pop up and thats fine, but when you don't even tell the community that you are going to be late, after 4 days... its basically saying i dont give a fuck, i have your money, now shut the fuck up. Not to mention, they are late VERY often, once in a while is ok, but its like there making no effort to go on what they say. 

The people who work on the game are not the same people who work on the updates, forum posts and the twitter/blog things.

Different employees, different job descriptions and neither do the same work.

Someone isn't doing their job.

Actually they are , if you have ever taken the time to notice the status reports are written up by mixes of the following (depending on what content is in the latest update) eugen harton , Chris torchia , brian hicks , it all depends on what info they want to give us that week ... But chill guys we all know the status reports are always late because of some reason , it's definitely not the end of the world and i lose no respect for the devs everytime they miss one , because it always comes out during the week at some point , I'm hoping today .

• Like 1

Actually they are , if you have ever taken the time to notice the status reports are written up by mixes of the following (depending on what content is in the latest update) eugen harton , Chris torchia , brian hicks , it all depends on what info they want to give us that week ... But chill guys we all know the status reports are always late because of some reason , it's definitely not the end of the world and i lose no respect for the devs everytime they miss one , because it always comes out during the week at some point , I'm hoping today .

they could at least let us know, instead of giving the impression that they don't care

they could at least let us know, instead of giving the impression that they don't care

Hello there

They do care.

But things dont always go the way one would like.

Rgds

LoK

unexpected events can pop up and thats fine, but when you don't even tell the community that you are going to be late, after 4 days... its basically saying i dont give a fuck, i have your money, now shut the fuck up. Not to mention, they are late VERY often, once in a while is ok, but its like there making no effort to go on what they say. 

If not getting a god damn status report on time really makes you think that the developers don't care, then I can't say anything. That's a ridiculous notion, because considering everything the devs have done for the community you're still complaining when you find an instance that they haven't.

How is not posting the status report when expected giving the impression that they "don't care."? If they really didn't care they would have stopped updating the game awhile ago, they wouldn't ever respond to forum, Reddit, and Twitter posts, and hell; we wouldn't even have status reports. You're making one small issue into a much larger one.

• Like 1

Give me my money back, or the status report!

Edited by Yazar8

The twitter, tweet(?), from yesterday does seem to imply that we'll get something over the weekend. Which seems crazy to me because it's probably hella expensive to get someone to work on the weekend. According to EU labor laws all members of team are probably entitled to a month of vacation at 1.5x pay for this. :D All the same if it is true they get huge respect, if not, they lose none. I'm as excited as the rest of you, channel that into positive anticipation and not negative hatefulness or silly conspiracy theories.

• Like 1

The twitter, tweet(?), from yesterday does seem to imply that we'll get something over the weekend. Which seems crazy to me because it's probably hella expensive to get someone to work on the weekend. According to EU labor laws all members of team are probably entitled to a month of vacation at 1.5x pay for this. :D All the same if it is true they get huge respect, if not, they lose none. I'm as excited as the rest of you, channel that into positive anticipation and not negative hatefulness or silly conspiracy theories.

Which tweet was that? I checked Eugen Harton's and Brian Hicks' Twitter and neither said anything that led me to believe anything was happening this weekend. The DevTracker doesn't show anything either. Just curious.

Edited by ColdAtrophy

Which tweet was that? I checked Eugen Harton's and Brian Hicks' Twitter and neither said anything that led me to believe anything was happening this weekend. The DevTracker doesn't show anything either. Just curious.

This one this is from yesterday, this is a week with no status report yet but if yesterday Hicks is saying there will always be one every week then I take that to mean this week will be no different. That's only possible if someone from the team at least does something over the weekend.

• Like 1

Hello there

How dare they not personally bring me updates written on scrolls made of human skin every 15 minutes!

Lazy devs!

Cash scam!

WARZ ftw!

rgds

LoK

Orlok, i demand tacos! GIVE ME TACOS DAMNIT! 888888888888888888888(

Or some of your British food dishes are fine. I don't think iv had to much British food.

• Like 1

Again, the people defending it would have a valid point if they weren't consistently late so often.  At this point, they need to just admit they can't keep a schedule and say as much.

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 1

Again, the people defending it would have a valid point if they weren't consistently late so often.  At this point, they need to just admit they can't keep a schedule and say as much.

I for my part wouldn't be mad if they just said "trouble with CLE implementaton. Working overtime on it, thus no time for status report and the like this week, sorry survivors". Takes you, even if properly formulated not more than 2 minutes and would be totally sufficient. It seems, the dev have chosen the hide away mathod instead what I think is a pity.

good sunday

• Like 1

There suppose to be every week (i think) but its been 7 days AGAIN. I WANT TO KNOW DAYZ STUFF NOWW!!!!

twee... :P

How you survived 6 posts?

Edited by NoCheats

I only use the forums for getting info on the development - I don't have a twitter account or reddit or anything.

I am aware that the next Stable update, 0.57, is planned (provisionally) for next week and I expect there will be a status report to go with it, telling us what's in it and such. I don't really feel I need to know more than that for now.

The best places to follow latest information for me is the Experimental thread and Devtracker. I don't see a problem with the communication.

• Like 1

I only use the forums for getting info on the development - I don't have a twitter account or reddit or anything.

I am aware that the next Stable update, 0.57, is planned (provisionally) for next week and I expect there will be a status report to go with it, telling us what's in it and such. I don't really feel I need to know more than that for now.

The best places to follow latest information for me is the Experimental thread and Devtracker. I don't see a problem with the communication.

Agreed. I'm not too fussed about weekly status reports either. It's just an arbitrary time scale. I'd much rather them based around releases/milestones. That way they'd have substance.

• Like 1

The only people who think the devs do not care are those whose impressions will not be swayed regardless of what they say. You're just fishing for validation that yes, the devs are indeed lazy.