Sign in to follow this  
Sister Ray

Some suggestions about upcoming mushroom foraging.

So, Chris Torchia posted some upcoming mushroom models on trello.

Looks like we'll be able to go mushroom hunting soon. This immediately brought me some ideas I'd like to suggest here, so here it goes:

1. THE EFFECTS.

There should be three or four possible outcomes to eating a wild mushroom:

1. The mushroom is edible, your hunger level goes down.

2. The mushroom is mildly poisonous. You will gain the "sick" -status, the severity of the sickness is dependent on how many mushrooms you ate.

3. The mushroom is deadly poisonous. No kidney or liver transplants in the apocalypse. You will, with 100% certainity, die in x time. Usually it takes some time for your vital organs to fail. During this time you will get according status messages, starting from vague feeling of discomfort and ending to "I'm dying". Time to go YOLO.

(4.) The mushroom is psychedelic/hallucinogenic/intoxicating. I put this in brackets, because I doubt the devs can be arsed to implement something like this, but you never know. And it's impossible to get something like this right in a game or in any media for that matter. It will probably feel gamish and lame. I (and no doubt, you too) might have some ok:ish ideas on how to go about this, but I'll hold on to them for now.

2.THE PREPARATION

There are mushrooms out there that are both poisonous and edible. it's the method of preparation that determines if you'll just enjoy the savory taste of a wild mushroom, or get sick. Turning poisonous mushroom to edible one is usually done by boiling the mushroom and discarding the water. This is possible if the toxic (and other unwanted) substances of the mushroom are water-solutable.

Amanita muscaria (one of the already modeled varieties) is a good example for this. Amanita muscaria is edible, mildly poisonous, hallucinogenic and intoxicating (as in dissociative/deliriant/depressant). When eaten raw, you'll probably get feverish, lethargic, nauseous and develop some psychoactive symptoms. When boiled (remember to discard the water), on the other hand, it's safe to eat. Tastes a bit like chicken actually. This is actually a quite common practice in rural Russia and Eastern Europe, or so I have heard (I'm a finn myself). Westerners tend to be more mycophilic.

What I am suggesting is that it should be possible to boil some mushrooms (such as A. Muscaria) to make it safe to eat. This would mean that a survivor who knows something about mushrooms would stay away from A. Muscaria, but a survivor who knows a little more than something about mushrooms would boil the mushroom and satisfy their hunger. Of course, there also would always be that one guy, with an orange hardhat, pink raincoat and no pants on, who would just eat the mushroom raw and get sick.

3. THE IDENTIFICATION

I suggest that the mushrooms should have really minimal descriptions, as in "white mushroom", "brown mushroom" and you'd have to identify them by looking at the model. Have the description state only the characteristics of the mushroom that arent clear by looking at it. This way, you could have, for example, two kinds of "white mushroom", one of them poisonous, one of them edible. You could only tell them apart by studying their models closely. You could have an edible Agaricus titled "white mushroom" and deadly Amanita Virosa (Destroying Angel) also titled as "white mushroom". If you can't tell them apart by looking at them, you die. I'm looking at you, guy with an orange hardhat, pink raincoat and no pants on.

I think these mechanics would add some hardcore survival elements to a game based around hardcore survival. Let me know what you think.

Edited by Sister Ray
  • Like 6

If mushrooms are added into the game, then you can bet they're going to add other types of edible things that don't come in cans. I love it.

Walking through Chernarus like:

Shrooms-Shrooms-everywhere.jpg

• Like 2

hello there

Judging by Mr T's post it looks like we *will* have edible/poisonous shrooms.

Splendid.

Rdgs

LoK

• Like 2

I want to be able to make shish kabobs now! Since we have all the necessary ingredients to make it. That and pizza! XD

IMG_44651-1024x1024.jpg

arugula-mushroom-rosemary-pizza.jpg

And mushroom soups! :P

pickF61QL.jpg

I think its cool were getting more foods to cook with considering mushrooms make up a large portion of food consumption in various countries.

Edited by Deathlove
  • Like 1

I would like to add some things. 

Mushrooms can be :

-unedible (useless, no nutrition value) example below

4228869403_e63d3b4ea0_b.jpg

-conditionaly edible (you have to boil it) 

Amanita rubescens (poisonous if consumed raw)

the-blusher-1.jpg

- edible 

Branched-Oyster-Mushroom-022.jpg

-poisonous 

Omphalotus olearius (they glow in the dark)

post-620-1169222321.jpg

51KXeDPWOaL._SX466_.jpg

-lethal 

Amanita virosa 

Amanita_virosa_02.jpg

Destroying Angels contain a complex group of poisonous substances called amatoxins. Contained not only in certain amanitas but also in some fungi from the genera Galerina, Lepiota and Conocybe, amatoxins initially cause gastrointestinal disorders with symptoms such as diarrhea, nausea and stomach pains occurring within five to twelve hours. Cruelly, the symptoms usually fade away for several hours or even a day or two, tricking the victim into thinking that they are recovering. When in due course the symptoms return with a vengeance, it may well be too late: kidney and liver damage is already underway. Without treatment, coma and eventual death are almost inevitable.

- halucinogenic 

Psilocybe serbica 

200559921-139135.jpg

And the end, about the Amanita muscaria (Fly Agaric) 

Amanita_muscaria(mgw-05).jpg

If you eat it raw you get stomach problems but if you dry it and eat enough amount you can experience some halucinogenic experience, more delirious, panicked state of mind etc 

• Like 3

-SIgh-

In a real-world survival situation, I would NOT eat any mushrooms, even if I could positively identify them as safe to eat. The food-value of them is negligible, especially when compared to other equally-if-not-more viable foragables, and the chances for misidentification remain high. It ..... just isn't worth it. Not really.  

But, you know, the devs can add whatever survival mechanics they want, and I actually am excited they are adding mushrooms to the "foragable" list. The more "survival" mechanics there are, the better.

I just wish they added something that made more sense, like cattail, first.

EDIT: when I say mushrooms are not worth the energy it takes to eat/digest them, I mean it. 

This source (http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/survivalist/2011/09/survival-foods-are-wild-mushrooms-worth-risk) states that a group of 5-7 medium-sized mushrooms (not sure what species), only has 25 calories. That isn't balanced at all, and the act of gathering, picking and eating them will put you into a severe calorie deficit.

This source (http://www.chiropractic-help.com/Nutritional-Value-of-Mushrooms.html) which seems more "legit" than the above source, also states that a serving of mushrooms only has about 20 calories, and are also low in carbohydrates.

In other words, you would be better off leaving the mushrooms behind and continuing to forage for other plants, just based on caloric balance alone. Add in the chance for death due to misidentification, and you should (and I do) swear off mushrooms forever.

Edited by Whyherro123
  • Like 3

-SIgh-

In a real-world survival situation, I would NOT eat any mushrooms, even if I could positively identify them as safe to eat. The food-value of them is negligible, especially when compared to other equally-if-not-more viable foragables, and the chances for misidentification remain high. It ..... just isn't worth it. Not really.  

But, you know, the devs can add whatever survival mechanics they want, and I actually am excited they are adding mushrooms to the "foragable" list. The more "survival" mechanics there are, the better.

EDIT: when I say mushrooms are not worth the energy it takes to eat/digest them, I mean it. 

This source (http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/survivalist/2011/09/survival-foods-are-wild-mushrooms-worth-risk) states that a group of 5-7 medium-sized mushrooms (not sure what species), only has 25 calories. That isn't balanced at all, and the act of gathering, picking and eating them will put you into a severe calorie deficit.

This source (http://www.chiropractic-help.com/Nutritional-Value-of-Mushrooms.html) which seems more "legit" than the above source, also states that a serving of mushrooms only has about 20 calories, and are also low in carbohydrates.

In other words, you would be better off leaving the mushrooms behind and continuing to forage for other plants, just based on caloric balance alone. Add in the chance for death due to misidentification, and you should (and I do) swear off mushrooms forever.

Im still hoping they add your cat tails in game considering there pretty much everywhere anyways.

• Like 1

Im still hoping they add your cat tails in game considering there pretty much everywhere anyways.

They ARE in-game, they just don't have "foraging mechanics" attached to the models.

They ARE in-game, they just don't have "foraging mechanics" attached to the models.

well hopefully we will be able to pick them soon. Im just surprised the developers never thought to add them as an edible source in first before mushrooms lol.

Edited by Deathlove

Would be useful if you could tip your arrows/knife/spear with a deadly poison from one of the mushrooms (if any are lethal in that way). I have a feeling that nothing that poisonous grows in that part of the world though.

-SIgh-

Yeah, I get where you come from. I think that the devs are adding mushrooms this soon because they are such an iconic part of foraging. I'm sure there will be more plants to forage later on.

The point of my post is that when implementing mushroom hunting into the game, it should be done right. Picking wild mushrooms without any knowledge in the subject will mess you up IRL and imho the game should reflect that. I think it would add some deepness into the game to force people to use their real world knowledge (or learn something) if they're about to eat wild mushrooms, without the game holding their hand and telling them what the mushrooms they're about to eat are (and how to use them). I left out some of the more advanced techniques to identification (such as taking spore prints, as BioHaze pointed out) because that would, imho,  be taking the process too far.

Anyway, I'm fairly certain that the devs have already put a lot of thought into this and they're not going to make it too easy.

Oh, and also, a mushroom hunter's handbook of some kind should also be added in the game.

Would be useful if you could tip your arrows/knife/spear with a deadly poison from one of the mushrooms (if any are lethal in that way). I have a feeling that nothing that poisonous grows in that part of the world though.

It will not have any effect. 

• Like 1

as Whyherro123 says above - IRL mushrooms have ZERO food value. No mushroom is of any nutritional benefit (vitamin Bs and minerals, ya can get anywhere).

If you want to survive just leave them alone.

birds eggs would make more sense than mushrooms

eating various plant leaves would be 100% more productive than eating mushrooms, which is a useless occupation

if you want vitamin B12 stew up some cow dung

still - mushrooms look nice .. and they can make you ill, so why not ?

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

as Whyherro123 says above - IRL mushrooms have ZERO food value. No mushroom is of any benefit at all.

If you want to survive just leave them alone.

birds eggs would make more sense than mushrooms

eating various plant leaves would be 100% more productive than eating mushrooms, which is a useless occupation

still - they look nice .. and they can make you ill, so why not ?

Whyherro123 and pilgrim, you are right in that mushrooms contain very little energy, as in calories, but I think it's a bit of an oversimplification to say they have zero nutritional value. Wild mushrooms are rich in fiber, vitamins, minerals and micronutrients. All of these essential for your wellbeing. Dayz, being a game, has a simplified nutritional system. It only accounts for your stomach capacity and energy. In this system, I think it's completely fine to have wild mushrooms fill you up somewhat more than they realistically would, so that they aren't completely useless, which they are not in real life. Also, there might be a time when all you can find for food is mushrooms :)

I don't want to derail this conversation into the realm of nutritional science, though :D

nice addition to the game. not the best survival food as mentionned before, but it's still something.

many consumables mushrooms are easy to recognize, it's almost impossible to make a mistake. some very poisonous ones are quite iconic too due to the fact that they killed famous people in the history (amanita phalloïdes) and could be used to poison canned food effectively (who would use dysinfectant to poison food in real life ?).

milk powder + water + flour + Agaricus campestris + rice = bon appétit !

• Like 1

..//.. Wild mushrooms are rich in fiber, vitamins, minerals and micronutrients. All of these essential for your wellbeing. 

..//..

:) I don't want to derail this conversation into the realm of nutritional science, though :D

Yes, that's what I said. Unless you are a vegan, mushrooms are useless.

and dangerous. Anything you can eat contains all this stuff with just one or two notable exceptions, as we know.

you think there are many 100% vegan survivalists in the real world or in dayz ?

you think a vegan survivalist (if there was such a thing) would not know how to maintain B12 ?

If you ever find yourself trying to survive IRL - DONT eat mushrooms, ok ?

[and don't eat cow dung either, I was just joking even though it can be done. Go eat a frog or a couple of worms or something, for crss sake]

[edit]

if

mushroom = protein = carb = ZERO

and mushroom = hydration = ZERO

then what nutrition value ingame would you put on a mushroom = more than an apple or less than an apple ??

hmm ?

Now - if you were going to include mushrooms in prepared, mixed, heated food = stews for instance - if this possibility was introduced in the game

then they would be a real advantage, as the psychological and morale value of nourishing hot good-tasting food is pretty high in survival situations

otherwise not

but yes they look good

xx

Edited by pilgrim

pilgrim, I'm not trying to argue that wild mushrooms are the best or only source of nutrients. Just that they have their place in foragable foods in dayz and aren't useless as food. I know you wouldn't get far with only mushrooms in your diet, but still, you'd get further than eating nothing at all. And there might be a sitution in dayz where you only have choice between eating mushrooms and eating nothing at all.

I'd probably eat mushrooms in a survival situation if I happened to come across varities I can 100% identify. I wouldn't spend too much time or energy trying to find them, though...

Edited by Sister Ray

nice addition to the game. not the best survival food as mentionned before, but it's still something.

many consumables mushrooms are easy to recognize, it's almost impossible to make a mistake. some very poisonous ones are quite iconic too due to the fact that they killed famous people in the history (amanita phalloïdes) and could be used to poison canned food effectively (who would use dysinfectant to poison food in real life ?).

milk powder + water + flour + Agaricus campestris + rice = bon appétit !

I do not agree with you that it's almost impossible to make a mistake. 

That is why i pick only green Russula instead of other colors because colors can be washed out and there is one very poisonous. 

While we're at Agaricus - Agaricus xanthodermus are poisonous and only way you can see that is by smelling or cutting a part and if it turns yellow it means that it's poisonous. 

The thing that confused me once is that i found an edible Agaricus which had a yellowish stain on cap so people can make a mistake.

061207005.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, that's what I said. Unless you are a vegan, mushrooms are useless.

and dangerous. Anything you can eat contains all this stuff with just one or two notable exceptions, as we know.

you think there are many 100% vegan survivalists in the real world or in dayz ?

you think a vegan survivalist (if there was such a thing) would not know how to maintain B12 ?

If you ever find yourself trying to survive IRL - DONT eat mushrooms, ok ?

[and dont eat cow dung either, I was just joking. Go eat a frog or a couple of worms or something, for crss sake]

if

mushroom = protein = carb = ZERO

and mushroom = hydration = ZERO

then what nutrition value ingame would you put on a mushroom = more than an apple or less than an apple ??

hmm ?

Now - if you were going to include mushrooms in prepared, mixed, heated food = stews for instance - if this possibility was introduced in the game

then they would be a real advantage, as the psychological and morale value of nourishing hot good-tasting food is high in survival situations

otherwise not

but yes they look good

xx

Could you please post a direct reply instead of editing the post I was responding to, thanks. Because now it seems that I didn't answer your question. It just wasn't there when I replied to your original post =D

And to answer you question, I'd probably give a single edible mushroom roughly the same amount of nutrition as an apple.