Dr5trange1ove

Mayday, Smoke and Traps

1. Crashsites:

When i was driving my "Crashsite-Tour" and didn't come across a single Helicopter on 4 Servers i gave up very disappointedly. I read that there may be up to 3 crashsites on each server. Which means there can also be only one or two, or zero!!! On a clear day you can see the smoke from 1 km away, maybe a little more if you trained your eyes ;) But still, it takes a tour of about 10 km to visit or drive by 90% of all possible spawns. And don't tell me the ones i didn't find were on those spots...

However my idea is: How about a SOS-Signal being radioed from the wreckage which you can receive with a Walkie-Talkie (maybe you have to be around 1 km to get it or sth like that) or a radiostation settled on Airfields, Green Mountain and similar places. It's not necessary the message contains the exact spot where the Chopper came down, assuming every passenger died in the crash, but it should contain some information like the last known position, which is sent in any SOS/Mayday.

2. Smoke:

Thinking about the clearly visible smoke of the Helicopter wreckages we should consider using smoke as a signal, or on the hand trying to avoid making us detectable by a smoking fire. One will think twice and approach more carefully if u see smoke then. It could be someone roasting a deer, not the UH-1Y-Venom where you just wanted to get your brand new M4 with ammo n stuff.

Making smoke signals would be quite easy, just put a wet piece of cloth on the fire, throw some leaves on it or soaked firewood. Doing so, you would also have to check if you got really dry wood to get yourself warm without smoking out all of Elektro. But! you may want to smoke someone out of a building. Start a smoking fire in the basement and force the occupants to leave or they will suffer from smoke intoxication and even die. The usage of fuel to start a fire should be implemented soon and easily, just to finish this thought.

3.Traps

Picking up the idea of occupying a building, brings me to the point what to do to prevent people coming in. Let's say i'm involved in a firefight in a town and i want to hide, cover or simply take a crap in a building. Locking the door is the first step, but that doesn't keep anybody out if they really want to get in. Why not putting a metalwire across the threshold, so the evil bandits coming in will at least fall down (leg hurt or broken) and have to get up, which might give me the 3 more seconds i need to bandage myself.

More effective would be attaching a grenade to the wire, so the splint is pulled when someone stretches the wire.

• Like 2

Some pretty good ideas here, have some beans.

On another note, the issue you mentioned with the helicopter crash sites is a bug introduced with 0.55. In 0.55 I have found that the heli crash sites are 100% guaranteed to spawn in the same places no matter what. These locations are southwest of the Vybor Military base, in a field near the west-northwest edge of the map, and a field north of Stary Sobor. I rarely ever found anything at them, so I came to the conclusion that either A. Loot was not spawning there; B. Loot was spawning at random crash sites while the structures remained stationary; or C. Other players knew about it and always got to the crash before I could (Which I highly doubt).

Also, not sure if you already know this but there are two types of heli crashes. These are American and Russian. Only the American crash sites have smoke trails, making Russian crash sites more difficult to spot from a distance. It's possible that you simply missed the crash sites because they were the Russian kind.

Good ideas. I'd like to see campfires produce more smoke, just so people have to think twice before setting them up.

Traps have been discussed before, and I definitely like the ideas you pose. Would also be cool to be able to attach a gun to the wire so it's rigged to fire when triggered. Would be a boon for those who play alone and want to make sure the door behind them is covered.