SMoss

Status Report - 14 May 15

Greetings Survivors,

This status report came a bit later than usual as we wanted to include some of the results and findings from this weeks experimental releases, as well as shed a bit of light on the intent of said releases. As we tread on into May, we'll be rolling 0.56 into 0.57 development with the intent of a regularly scheduled end of month release. Ramping up to this, you'll see frequent experimental branch updates and experiments ongoing on that branches servers.

As internally we spent time investigating server side performance, as well as the effect of various systems on production server performance we discovered abnormally high performance cost related to infected AI. As said performance should be lateral at a certain point, we've been fluctuating configurations and builds on the experimental branch to properly replicate the production environment and profile the exact location and behaviour of the source of the performance drop.

aA8zgGQ.jpg

On the player side, we've made strong gains performance wise. We're seeing a gain of 4x higher performance per average player count, and this is instantly visible in gameplay. As the programming team moves ahead on investigating infected costs on server side performance, we'll be disabling infected spawning on stable branch servers (post-stable update)to ensure the highest quality of gameplay on that branch. Experimental will proceed with infected performance tests so we can as soon as possible return the infected to Chernarus en masse. 
If you're curious how this work is going, once the end of the month stable update (0.57) releases - keep an eye on experimental branch.

d7soEuO.jpg

I'm personally excited to see the gains on the player and gameplay side - we've still got a long way to go until feature complete, but I'm excited to chase you all across Chernarus.

Really not a bandit,
- Brian Hicks / Lead Producer

Standup Notes for the week of 14 May 15

(Note: Standup notes are not a change log - they are a quick high level look at tasks the teams worked on throughout this week)

Art:
  • GAZ Volga
  • Civilian Bus
  • VZ61 Scorpion
  • New Zombie Models
  • Civilian Hiking Jacket
Design:
  • Transfer of skinning to EnScript
  • Transfer of traps to EnScript
  • Tripwire Traps
  • Design of damaged barrel usage
  • Bugfixing
  • Profiling server performance for existing scripts
Programming:
  • Inventory refactorization bugfixing
  • Dynamic Events spawning bugfixing
  • Loot Distro bugfixing
  • AI Performance Analysis & Bugfixing
  • Character Controller
  • Login Que Design
  • New Damage Sys.
  • Server & Client Crash Fixes
  • Like 20

Thanks for news and hard work, devs/all!

It may be quieter in Chernarus for some but I know myself and other experimental branch goons will keep the faith!

:murder:

"The most totally's brutals zombie apocalypse is one without zombies."

• Like 5

I didn't consciously acknowledge how much of an impact the zombies have on my moment to moment enjoyment of the game until they were removed from the experimental branch. I'm already anxious for 0.58 because I'm finding it incredibly difficult to stay engaged in the experience with no zombies. That aside, this is alpha, and I know that means there will be setbacks. 

Good luck and godspeed Bohemia.  :thumbsup:

Edited by ColdAtrophy
  • Like 8

I didn't consciously acknowledge how much of an impact the zombies have on my moment to moment enjoyment of the game until they were removed from the experimental branch. I'm already anxious for 0.58 because I'm finding it incredibly difficult to stay engaged in the experience with no zombies. That aside, this is alpha, and I know that means there will be setbacks. 

Good luck and godspeed Bohemia.  :thumbsup:

i totally agree with this, zombies have a great influence on the experience of the game. 

people are talking about how boring and frustrating Zombie games are getting, but i most say i love zombies, they are great (although i don't like Zombies in dayz but i totally respect devs choices over them) ...

maybe the worst thing about dayz is you can't cut body parts but i can live with that :D

I'll trade you zeds for rain and smoother play with many people.

• Like 1

I'll trade you zeds for rain and smoother play with many people.

That's what the team will be working on :)

• Like 2

Are the slot sizes in stable going to increase for people who rent servers? The 75 person servers without infected seemed to run like a dream.

here is the real question....... VZ61 Scorpion in .380 ACP or 9mm Parabellum?

here is the real question....... VZ61 Scorpion in .380 ACP or 9mm Parabellum?

.380 would be the more sensible option because there's an older Vz.62 that's almost exactly like the Vz.61 but in .380 instead of .32. Plus, .380 is a rather under-utilized caliber as of right now and 9x19 has a lot more options so it's better for it to just go to the limited one.

• Like 1

So why not release the current 0.56 without the zombies? Why wait until the end of the month to do the exact same thing? 

VZ61 Scorpion Nice!! Alos, nice to hear that experimental will have infected , its quite strange stable ,after .57's update, will not have zombies though...

So why not release the current 0.56 without the zombies? Why wait until the end of the month to do the exact same thing?

I imagine because they don't feel it's ready yet.

if we have to go with less zeds to have more better functioning zeds in the end then hell yeah lets get to it.

Permanently replace zombies with tumbleweeds imo.

Damn it Quincy!

2nd picture, bottom left corner.

is this client performance update going to help with support for VR with Oculus or the Vive?

Meh, I'm disappointed. Removing zombies from stable branch for a month...

I guess all pvp players will be happy.

• Like 1

Meh, I'm disappointed. Removing zombies from stable branch for a month...

I guess all pvp players will be happy.

Yeah, but I'm betting it's going to be the hardest update in terms of survival. The current stable is a joke compared to the experimental.

Yeah but i'm playing DayZ because off Zombie's ... No Zombie No DayZ for me ..

I'm not playing PVP¨i'm a survivor .. so what we gonna do without zombie's ? PVP ? hu.... turning around ? just kill somme pet's with no risk you killed by a zombie ...

No thx if you will remove Zombie for a month i will remove my self for a month to :P

Cya

Edited by cedrico85
  • Like 5

"we'll be rolling 0.56 into 0.57 development with the intent of a regularly scheduled end of month release."

Just to be clear - does this mean you will skip stable release 0.56 completely and there will be no global server/character wipe until stable 0.57 is released, say... Maybe end May- beginning of June?

Edited by Skadefroen

Yeah but i'm playing DayZ because off Zombie's ... No Zombie No DayZ for me ..

I'm not playing PVP¨i'm a survivor .. so what we gonna do without zombie's ? PVP ? hu.... turning around ? just kill somme pet's with no risk you killed by a zombie ...

No thx if you will remove Zombie for a month i will remove my self for a month to :P

Just when zombies became fun, they remove them... 

• Like 2

A game, named DayZ, with basics of "zombie survival", without zombies?
I'll keep to the experimental, as long as there are zeds, without them, i'm not playing.

• Like 2

Currently zombies or not, this is exactly the same. They are totally harmless.

what happened to new renderer in May??

Edited by JozoNalozil