ebrim

What next development milestone gets you most excited?

Essentially as the title suggests, I'm curious what the next big planned or hinted feature of DayZ gets each of you most excited or you anticipate most? I realize some people are just going to answer "Rawr, fix bugs, now!" And I think that's fine, in that case, what bug in particular? Try to keep it positive and specific.

To start: I think for me it's stamina. I'm really excited to see it tied to the weights introduced for items and how exactly they go about implementing it.

Edited by Ebrim

If this were a couple of weeks ago, I would have said "cooking over a fire without a cooking pot." Alas, 0.56 has made that a reality. Being that they have simultaneously added barrels and all of the functions that come along with it, I can't say that either. So as a survivalist, the next thing I'm looking forward to is: craftable shelter! :)

On a lesser note, I'm also looking forward to what they're referring to as "precise object placement." It will be a big boon to camp-building as well as my in-game photography.

Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 1

Renderer. Very exited how that goes.

Same here, I'm pretty sure that'll be the point where I start playing again.

• Like 1

I'm most excited to see the game actually come out of this seemingly endless state of Alpha testing. So everyone can stop using the damned word all over the place.

You know how monitors get image burn-in when a static image is displayed for extended periods of time? well.. that's what burned into my retinas ALPHA.

Edited by NuckFuts

Base building and just transportation in general.

i want a ATV to go across bridges to flip it and laugh my ass off.

• Like 1

Renderer. Hands down. That update will open a floodgate of possibilities and pave the way for everything else.

At the risk of being boring and agreeing with everybody, definitely the renderer. More specifically, DX12, now that it's confirmed. I really hope the team manage to take full advantage of it - it'll make DayZ play incredibly nicely. Considering how much is done server side, the only reason the game is CPU heavy is because the graphics actually rely rather heavily on it, I'd assume.

Honestly, overall, I'm just looking forward to the backbone of the game being improved upon and finalized. The renderer is one of the most notable ones, but things like networking often get overlooked (well, people constantly moan about it, but in the case of talking about what we can't wait for, I rarely see it mentioned). Once there's no more desync or lag issues, you'll be amazed at how much more playable the game will become. Both melee and gunfights will be massively improved just from that alone.

But getting out of that territory, maybe looking at features specifically, my biggest thing is, honestly, hordes. I know they're in the experimental and will be coming soon, but I'm crazy excited for them. Just not enough to put myself through another exp branch. I've never had much luck with those. .56 in general looks to be an incredibly exciting patch.

I'm mostly excited for the new technology of the player controller , inventory , and renderer are all put in 100% , when that happens so many good things will come : limping system and our characters won't die from a 6 ft fall , inventory for vehicles and no more inventory Tetris, much smoother client to server response and hopefully better graphics and fps from dx11-12 ! For features I can't wait for : barricading/basebuilding., advanced vehicles , predator animals, aerial animals like birds (big ones for hunting, and flocks) underwater to get an overhaul and complete life added ... And finally hordes of zombies that attack windows and doors ... Also with the new player controller / skeleton being added I can't wait to see things like climbing through windows and jumping off of high heights with a proper fall animation !

Lots of great things to come , also on a holiday note I hope the developers pay more attention to Halloween this year and tie in some spooky Easter eggs into the game :) !

Stamina is the #1 for me. It's a total game changer (hopefully).

Then the new animation system will be something that I look for a lot. Animations and moving haven't fit well together in RV engine ever so this is also a big change. Finally maybe a chance that the character doesn't suddenly stop or continue moving by itself while changing weapons or performing any kind of animations.

Then naturally every performance increase potential both server and client side are very welcome.

Mostly the renderer as everyone else . but as i said in Eugen's twitt too, #2 priority for me is modding because it will open a window to endless possibilities. 

• Like 1

When they start hiring professional alpha testers. 

Im looking forward to many more zombies and the prospect that firing a weapon will bring a whole lot of hurt down on you.

I also miss seeing the occasional heli in the sky.

• Like 1

2015 Q2  Advanced animals (life cycle, group behavior)

2015 Q3  Animal predators and birds

I'd like to see some bears, wolf packs, snakes and bees, so even the deep woods have their dangers.  And maybe I'm just dreaming here but there being way to raise a wolf pup or feed one until it becomes a companion animal would also be great.  Maybe it would alert you to other natural dangers and carry a thing or two with a craftable wolf vest - or have some other minor advantage making it worthwhile of your risk, effort and time.

• Like 1

Hmmm... renderer so my gfx card will actually be pushed to its limits, and also flashlights being relevant again. Instead of being a beacon of death.

So yeah. Renderer.

I don't quite know where to start. There are so many exciting developments on the horizon, which will enhance the game in so many important ways. This is my short list:

CLE with regional control - we are living through this right now and it can be a pretty bumpy road, until this mechanic if fully implemented and tuned.

Dynamic events - this will add a sorely needed element of unpredictability and keep the game fresh.

Animal predators - Even when you are completely alone in the deep forest, there should always be an element of danger. 

Animal companions - I think there is a lot of potential here that has never really been explored in other games.

New character controller and the elimination of legacy mechanics - New character capabilities and a significant performance boost ... what's not to like?

New renderer with DX12 implementation - proper culling, advanced particle effects (fog anyone?) and a significant performance boost.

I might very well feel differently tomorrow, but if I had to pick just one today, it may be the character controller and the elimination of legacy mechanics. I really liked the jumping teaser that was posted. Limping and other animations will be awesome. I would like to be able to eat, without standing up. I would like to be able to do more than one thing at a time, such as walking while eating an apple. In general, more fluid motions and the smooth transition between actions will be a very welcome development.

• Like 1

MOST ANTICIPATED FEATURE!?!?!?!

THE CENTRAL LOOT ECONOMY ACTUALLY WORKING!

just saying.

To start: I think for me it's stamina. I'm really excited to see it tied to the weights introduced for items and how exactly they go about implementing it.

For myself I'm very much the same for the stamina/weight distribution because you are going to have to be so much resourceful and carefull with what you choose.. i can see my self taking 15 minutes decide on whther to put matches or bullets in my last slot

And the renderer

Really i have so many more.. Zombies for the most part.. i wanna see them heaaaps more  until they are in my dreams

Hand 2 hand combat has been dodgey so long, especially if you are an OG who had played the mod from the start back in the day, the idea of a good close combat system these dayz seems pretty f**kn mental  :D

Edited by liquidcactus
  • Like 3

I'll be excited for the day when DayZ doesn't take forever to load and shut down.

I am most looking forward to animal companions, along with improved animal AI and predator animals. This will open up alot of new gameplay options. I can't wait for my first death by wolf pack :)

Also looking at the new stamina and inventory/weight systems. These mechanics will change how/what we loot and should bring some interesting choices that most of us never had to ask.

As for technology...new renderer & improved SFX!

EDIT: Almost forgot shelter building!

Edited by 8bit_Survivor

new renderer in mid to late May 2015

I would really appreciate if the devs addressed the status of the new renderer

though it seems they are late so no word on that can be expected