Coheed_IV

Should DayZ 1.0 feature events and world cycle?

I love a good conspiracy theory, let me spout one out.  

I believe it's "possible" (in conspiracy speak), (devs don't ruin my fun) when DayZ is released, it could feature a "event" system or cycle. Hear me out. Something like a 3 month ebb and flow to Chernarus. Day Zero - 90

The first 30 days will feature much more loot on the coast. Fresh fruit, canned food, guns in police stations, complete coastal chaos, dress wearing fire extinguisher carrying psychopaths a plenty.   :P

This will slowly fade pushing viable loot into different regions, based on what the players on that server have done. Fruit and canned food disappears, cold hits, rainy season, gardens grow, hunting is good,  hope you made a stash costal psychopaths. :(

The last 30 days, most loot is completely gone, traveling to the north will take relying on wits and a bag of apples, disease has become very rampant, antibiotics are highly valued, the north has loot left but is chaos, groups of cannibals drive V3S's and have extensive bases for curing human skin :o  

Kinda makes sense with the Centralized Loot Economy and Regions.

At the end of 90 days, every persistent item is wiped, sorry guys. But, this is the answer to, "everyone's just going to play mod versions with 10000 vehicles". The BI Servers would have something that no other mod servers could. Promotional events in 90 day cycles.

Who wants this world? I do. This would be a true survival world, one that changes, and you must adapt. I don't think I could stop playing if this was the case. And I don't think BI would stop selling copies of DayZ for people who want to try 90 days of survival. Even, 90 day priced Chernarus passes, if you don't own the game.

Edited by Coheed_IV
  • Like 7

I'm not sure if they intend to make the game play this way. I really don't see much evidence that it will become as you describe. I also see no evidence that it won't. Cool idea regardless.

• Like 4

I see it coming. Some clans stashing it all away in their tent city and go sniping for fresh spawns. New people loosing any motivaion to play. I think you should not be rewarded for hopping on at a specific point in time, but that's just me.

• Like 1

There is something about this idea that appeals to me, maybe it's just that it can give a sense of story-arc in a way. Plus, the promise of feeling really lucky to have survived throughout an entire cycle. There's fun stuff that could be done with this, for sure.

In general, the "you are dead" screen would be really improved with stats from your life, to give more meaning to just your personal cycle.

Edited by Ebrim

Yeah I've wondered about cycling 'loot storms' to mimic a start of the epidemic with resources slowly running out over time.

This idea defeats the purpose of the central loot economy and will just give people the ability to restart their servers constantly for massive loot gains.

well, i hope such thing will be in. but i'm pretty sure if they intended to make this events,it won't be in the same hive as vanilla because the whole idea is it being sand box but this events direct your game play which is something that sand-box can't accept.

hopefully after modding is in we will see some great mods i'm sure of it. imagine Chernarus Life, Survivor GameZ as a mod, even Epoch maybe :D.... 

i think if you change this from a event to a mod, it has a great value :)

maybe they should have a world event like those fuckers in zone A from coordinate xx xxx to xxxxxy will get swarmed by 10 times more zombies suddenly

I really don't see much evidence that it will become as you describe. I also see no evidence that it won't. Cool idea regardless.

And that's how a conspiracy is born. So let me think of supporting evidence.

-The Loot Economy is capable of pushing us around into different regions.

-They are really into gathering data, understanding where players are and how they die, in real time.

-CLE can be adjusted in real time. (pretty sure that has been said)

-Regions

-Fruit, why? Fresh Fruit, how does that make sense in the long term? It only makes sense if it eventually rots.

-Hypothermia, remember the update that froze us? This was survivable, and fun for short amounts of time, this only works with ebb and flow.

-The North and Map development, feels like we will be pushed there.

-Group AI, arma AI has a strength, massive groups, this saves AI processes. Beyond a "loot front", AI could be grouped in greater numbers. Lone wolfing only plausible where infected are manageable and ungrouped.

-All the survival mechanics make more sense stronger and separated (disease, hypothermia) rather than having a nagging water down effect hardly seems worth the time. How do you do this? Cycling

-Long term game profits, selling the game with 90 day passes (Like hunting license in theHunter)

-Less long term persistence would be easier to handle (let the wall of china be built in modded servers)

-BI has a history of creating a game showcase, this shows the sandbox for user created content. The 90 day cycle would showcase all mechanics in full strength, but separated slightly.

-This allows all users of different play styles to have their time.

-STATS

Edited by Coheed_IV
  • Like 3

Sounds much like seasons, which aren't going to be in DayZ. But Zomboid has seasons and the world changes kinda like you described.

This idea defeats the purpose of the central loot economy and will just give people the ability to restart their servers constantly for massive loot gains.

Not sure about that, a server restart has nothing to do with items spawning. Persistence its what happens at restart. CLE then sees numbers of total item classes in persistence (not on player/tent/bag within time), then realtime respawn every 5 seconds to adjust to minimal value. Or I could be completely wrong too, don't quote me. :huh:

Item settings can be changed in real time through our frontend or directly in database. Each item class is tagged as crafted/not crafted, and carries nominal/minimal/maximum amount. 

Nominal value directly controls the amount of items the server is aiming to deliver at initial startup, after that the system is controlled by cleanup + realtime respawn. When an item class reaches (nominal - minimal) it will start restocking. Maximum amount of item class on a server is (nominal + maximum). There is also a setting that dictates maximum amount of items on a server as a total. 

In current iteration each server oscillates between 19k-25k items with total maximum set to 45k. Respawn tick happens every 5 seconds as does cleanup. Each class has nominal/minimal/maximum values defined. When a items class gets to a minimal value (usualy about 50%) it start respawning based on priorities. 

Also, would like more info on this part "as a total" what is qualifying a total? 

There is also a setting that dictates maximum amount of items on a server as a total.

It would be fun , but it obviously would be done after 1.0 like others said , and it can't have anything cheesy in it but I would love if things like bad hurricanes and stuff would happen throughout the 90 days , also maybe these servers would all be time accelerated so that the 90 days actually equals like 15 -30 real days ... Would be awesome to see a more "realistic evolving world" like if we cut enough trees down certain plants that need shade would start to die , or if we kill all the animals at once in a given pasture they won't respawn in that area until the cycle is complete to simulate having to ration with what you have ...

Edited by Grapefruit kush

I like in Project Zomboid how theres possible to have electricity for X days and then it stops. Then weather could be one big element, cold rainy season and hot sunny season can make the gameplay very different. Then like you said, loot could become more rare, the more days have passed.

Imagine something like the hive is up for X days until it resets. In those days it goes through different kinds of events and gameplay becomes more harder the more days have passed. In the end the more you've put time in those days and you've really survived in different events, the more "rewarding" (I mean pleasing) it feels when you've achieved something and really survived. Combine that with some perma-death thing until the hive has reset, that could really bring some interesting private servers/hives.

Edited by St. Jimmy
  • Like 1

Sounds much like seasons, which aren't going to be in DayZ. But Zomboid has seasons and the world changes kinda like you described.

Pushing that game again, really?

No need for cycles to push/move the loot. This will happen dynamically through the CLE. I would like to see weather changes according to a seasonal cycle.

Yeah I've wondered about cycling 'loot storms' to mimic a start of the epidemic with resources slowly running out over time.

This is basically the difference in nominal and minimum values. Nominal is on initialization, minimum is when it starts to restock. Is it for testing purposes? but why 50%? Could be to fill lots of characters inventories before restocking starts. It's interesting to think about all the characters that start and how they sponge up loot, and how that is greatly dependent on how many clothes and backpacks originally spawn.  

So what's the point of nominal setting? I see some kind of game design in that. But, it would only be used in some kind of beginning to a stage or cycle.

Just think about the CLE with regions, and all regions having different settings that can change in real time without client update.

Also, someone else posted somewhere about the feeling of needing to save up heat packs. Maybe we're getting subliminal messages.  

• Like 1

I guess my only problem with this is that it really cocks over freshspawns. Who's going to want to join a server which has, I don't know, fucking gorilla hurricanes and where all the food is poisonous if they don't have any gear? If one were to be involved from start to finish that'd be quite the experience, but nobody is going to be able to join part-way through because they won't stand a chance. 

Is an interesting point though. Once mods hit the scene who's going to play vanilla? There needs to be some sort of incentive to stay (unless the devs want to actively encourage modding, even if it butchers the core experience) so maybe these server-wide events would be a good way to attract people.

Edited by BeefBacon

I guess my only problem with this is that it really cocks over freshspawns.

Actually, I was thinking this would be helpful to fresh spawns. I'll explain, having all the survival mechanics at the same time makes life difficult for a fresh spawn, separating them over a time period allows them to more easily overcome it. Planning for one's not bad, but all?

I wasn't thinking of any events that we haven't already seen in game. We already have seen extreme shortages or abundances of many mechanics already (canned food, infected numbers, temp, tools, disease) in different builds.

How are they going to implement a hardcore hypothermia mechanic? Rain? <That cocks over a fresh spawn. Altitude? That was great for testing. But, didn't make much sense. Fresh spawns in experimental have to deal with nearly no canned food on the coast, that's a killer in the cold. Dealing with multiple mechanics at the same time will only necessitate a need to water down mechanics. Unless it's separated out, keep them hardcore, but in a changing world.

If we take Chernarus divide it into 1/3's or regions, south, central, and north. Then divide a world into 3 categories or time frames each lasting 30 days or whatever. 

The first 30 days in the south could have high loot that slowly dwindles. Also, large amounts of infected that slowly dwindle. These mechanics would give way to others, taking away mass infected threat but replacing it with cold temp. Then the south would then have large amounts of coats and tools left, and low amounts of canned food. Making fires and fishing the best approach at this time.

These would have to be gradual changes to the world, but we already have been experiencing this in many builds and CLE seems completely capable of this aswell.

The Central area at day 30-60 (in the middle), could feature many heli crashes at that time, even flybys. This would give a lot of context to the world.

Depending on the region and time of cycle, the infected could have longer sight and larger grouping, making traveling to the north a group activity early in a cycle. This would slowly give way as time passes, making the north accessible for loners. But, disease would be more predominate at this point.

Having a camp or stash of supplies would add to preparation of the changes of the cycle. Keeping vitamins and antibiotics for the end would be part of the planning, might even produce more trading.

Edited by Coheed_IV

I'm not entirely convinced that you know what a conspiracy theory is.

This idea seems like a great candidate for a mod! Not sure I'd want this event cycle in the core game/BI servers/whathaveyou. 

Edited by Parazight
  • Like 1

I'm not entirely convinced that you know what a conspiracy theory is.

I'm pretty vague there, something to do with men in dark rooms smoking?  

I guess it's just a feeling that they are planning quite a bit, that we aren't privy too just yet. I've laid down some evidence for a world cycle, very sketchy that it would turn out as organized as I've proposed. But, still not out of the question, a changing world in someway.

Also, I haven't even gotten into events. What I mean by events is similar to the X-mas tree and presents. Many games do these type of promotions now.

300px-ChristmasTree_1b.jpg?version=e96fd

This evidence shows they are considering these types of calendar events. CLE makes this easy. Christmas presents, Halloween infected buffs, 4th of July 5.56 and M4s for all!

How do people feel about that being in DayZ? I'm not really sure on that one.

A complicated world cycle maybe not, but calendar events? I think so, which does lead to the 1.0 world being less static than maybe we consider.