Schweinsteiger

Hordes of Infected...Finally!

What's up survivors,

So far .56 experimental is pretty sweet (besides the desync and inventory/item/hotbar problems).

There are officially hordes of infected in DayZ. The best part is you won't realize it until it's almlst too late! A friend and I were behind Myshkino at the tent city and fired off a few rounds at some lonely infected. Next thing you know the infected were on us like flies on shit! They just kept coming so we kept shooting. Unfortunatrly I only had a P1 (without a mag). I had to reload after every kill. Luckily for me my buddy had a PM 73 and he didn't have to reload after every shot. I wound up on top of one of the camo look out platforms with about twenty or so of the infected milling about near the latter like a barrel of monkeys.

After it was all said and done there must have been 40+ zombie corpses lying about.

After that we hit the military base southest of Pavlovo. I was inside one of the barracks when a train of zombies decided to pay me a visit. This time I was ready with my trusty repeater and I made quick work of most of the dead (I took eleven down without a problem then had to reload). After I crawled out of the barracks bleeding I decided to run around and axe as many zombies/infected I could find so they wouldn't train us again. It was a really good time.

I hope and pray when .56 makes it to the stble branch the zombie numbers will stay high, or even be bumped up a bit. It really makes the game a joy to play. Imagine that! Zombies in a zombie apocalypse! Who would a thunk it?

-Schweinsteiger.

• Like 13

Zombies in military areas have been drastically raised from what I hear as well as highly populated areas getting a higher zombie spawn rate. (If anyone knows differently please let me know)

Zeds also seem to be much more sensitive to gunfire, the come running really quick especially with multiple gunshots.

• Like 2

What's up survivors,

So far .56 experimental is pretty sweet (besides the desync and inventory/item/hotbar problems).

There are officially hordes of infected in DayZ. The best part is you won't realize it until it's almlst too late! A friend and I were behind Myshkino at the tent city and fired off a few rounds at some lonely infected. Next thing you know the infected were on us like flies on shit! They just kept coming so we kept shooting. Unfortunatrly I only had a P1 (without a mag). I had to reload after every kill. Luckily for me my buddy had a PM 73 and he didn't have to reload after every shot. I wound up on top of one of the camo look out platforms with about twenty or so of the infected milling about near the latter like a barrel of monkeys.

After it was all said and done there must have been 40+ zombie corpses lying about.

After that we hit the military base southest of Pavlovo. I was inside one of the barracks when a train of zombies decided to pay me a visit. This time I was ready with my trusty repeater and I made quick work of most of the dead (I took eleven down without a problem then had to reload). After I crawled out of the barracks bleeding I decided to run around and axe as many zombies/infected I could find so they wouldn't train us again. It was a really good time.

I hope and pray when .56 makes it to the stble branch the zombie numbers will stay high, or even be bumped up a bit. It really makes the game a joy to play. Imagine that! Zombies in a zombie apocalypse! Who would a thunk it?

-Schweinsteiger.

Do you have any screen shots form this?

I don't mind a lot of zeds as long as I can find an axe. But hordes? I be a-runnin'.

• Like 2

I don't mind a lot of zeds as long as I can find an axe. But hordes? I be a-runnin'.

They are fun, but like OP said, you see the one zed running for you, an axe to the head, and next thing you know, there is a train of 10 more on you. You can axe the crap out of them, but you can also get knocked unconscious before you kill them all. It changes the PVE elements somewhat. They hit weaker now, but the swarms make up for it. Also, when you are engaging them, you become a huge and easy target for any other player. All the desync crap makes experimental difficult now, but it might be GRANDE when they figure that out.

The zeds in the new experimental need there AI worked on though because you can  walk up to quite a few of them around the towns and they don't do anything to you lol.

• Like 1

what like this in balota? this wasnt half of them, uploading a vid too that ill post when done

24v1t2g.jpg

Edited by steve007
  • Like 5

I too noticed lots of zeds in exp, but they are a lot easier to kill and avoid again. You can punch them out without being hit if you understand how they move now.

Got a crawler too from hitting this chick with a pick axe. Couldn't stop laughing. Can't wait for it to hit stable.

I watched that video in the other thread you made for it, and it seems like the zombies are really hitchy when they run; have they been messing with the movement speed of them as well? I admit I haven't played since right after 0.55 hit stable, and even then it wasn't much.

I watched that video in the other thread you made for it, and it seems like the zombies are really hitchy when they run; have they been messing with the movement speed of them as well? I admit I haven't played since right after 0.55 hit stable, and even then it wasn't much.

They probably don't even have all the hardware ported over for the new zombie AI yet. So that is probably why there so ubber glitchy right now. That and remember theres a bunch of new improved models coming in to.

Do they still have their stupid respawn mechanic, where as soon as they die they respawn/auto reaggro?  Or can you actually kill them all and be done with it.

Wish I had more pics from my Novo MP5 massacre in exp.

r8P44Sp.jpg

It was some of the most fun zombie slaughter I have had in DayZ SA.

Unfortunately a lot of my bullets passed through them due to desynch and I began to laugh in a sort of giddy maniacal way going full auto/rambo on a large group of infected not knowing if I was going to live or die and loving every moment of it.

Man, where's the frag grenades when you need them?

Edited by BioHaze
  • Like 2

Wish I had more pics from my Novo MP5 massacre in exp.

r8P44Sp.jpg

It was some of the most fun zombie slaughter I have had in DayZ SA.

Unfortunately a lot of my bullets passed through them due to desynch and I began to laugh in a sort of giddy maniacal way going full auto/rambo on a large group of infected not knowing if I was going to live or die and loving every moment of it.

Man, where's the frag grenades when you need them?

awesome...how you get out of the door LOL...with all the bodies around

awesome...how you get out of the door LOL...with all the bodies around

I tried to wait for them to despawn and when I finally opened the door there was at least 10 more in the entryway.

I vaulted around while shooting the infected that marched in and actually was able to stiff arm my way out as even more infected streamed towards the house from all directions.

Correct me if im wrong, but isnt this already in the ARMA versions? It took a long time just to copy a script across from something else if it is.

I see stuff like this all the time and I have to point out the flaw in this thinking. My intention is not to be arrogant, but to help you understand why it seems simple but really isn't.

First of all, scripting is a dirty add on kind of thing. The zombies of the mod were scripts. Everything that was not an existing part of the Arma 2 engine was run using scripts. The new zombies and their AI is being programmed as a part of the engine. The zombies and their behavior that we see now is not a simple, thrown together, tacked on thing but a hard programmed, integral part of the game. 

The real issue here is that the mod was exactly that: a mod. The engine could only handle so much. You run too many scripts and performance goes in the shitter. The limitations imposed because of the fact that it was a mod existing in an old engine not designed for this type of game and using an API that was current when Windows XP was released put the dev team in a position where they couldn't do all that the concept begged for. The only reasonable thing to do at that point was to either give up on the whole thing or redo the entire game from the ground up. BI chose the latter and decided to make an effort to keep the entire Franksteined together mess working and playable while they extracted pieces of the engine for replacement.

So the short answer to your question is no. It's much, much more than that.

• Like 7

I see stuff like this all the time and I have to point out the flaw in this thinking. My intention is not to be arrogant, but to help you understand why it seems simple but really isn't.

First of all, scripting is a dirty add on kind of thing. The zombies of the mod were scripts. Everything that was not an existing part of the Arma 2 engine was run using scripts. The new zombies and their AI is being programmed as a part of the engine. The zombies and their behavior that we see now is not a simple, thrown together, tacked on thing but a hard programmed, integral part of the game. 

The real issue here is that the mod was exactly that: a mod. The engine could only handle so much. You run too many scripts and performance goes in the shitter. The limitations imposed because of the fact that it was a mod existing in an old engine not designed for this type of game and using an API that was current when Windows XP was released put the dev team in a position where they couldn't do all that the concept begged for. The only reasonable thing to do at that point was to either give up on the whole thing or redo the entire game from the ground up. BI chose the latter and decided to make an effort to keep the entire Franksteined together mess working and playable while they extracted pieces of the engine for replacement.

So the short answer to your question is no. It's much, much more than that.

Yeah fair enough, although i have scripted for inde games, so yeah hard but not that hard especially after you sold 3million copies.

Even at a conservative cost of 30 dollars its 90 million dollars to have the same looking stuff, i would have hoped the envelope would have been well and truly broken and have some ground breaking features , especially 2 years in.

Dont get me wrong, i love the experience, but holy cow batman it could be so so much better.

But i dont care what anyone says, this game should be done by now with that much scratch in the bank, and still growing.

Edited by PlasticAssasin8

Yeah fair enough, although i have scripted for inde games, so yeah hard but not that hard especially after you sold 3million copies.

Even at a conservative cost of 30 dollars its 90 million dollars to have the same looking stuff, i would have hoped the envelope would have been well and truly broken and have some ground breaking features , especially 2 years in.

Dont get me wrong, i love the experience, but holy cow batman it could be so so much better.

But i dont care what anyone says, this game should be done by now with that much scratch in the bank, and still growing.

You do realize that we have only gotten maybe 25% at best of the work the devs have done so far into Stable right? I didn't spell it out above but the idea is this: you can't put in half of a new module, like the renderer for example, and expect it to work either by itself or with the old graphics tech that is already in the engine. The major tech changes that they have had to make can only be implemented as an entire completed chunk. They can't put them in piecemeal.

Scripting is easy. I'm a designer with little interest in programming and I will have to learn scripting. As a matter of fact, most designers end up spending the last couple of months before a game ships helping the team with the remaining scripting that needs to be done. Programming is not easy by comparison. It is the bedrock upon which all else rests and good programmers are not only hard to find but they are not cheap.

I hate to break it to you, but $90 million is not that much. Not for game development that requires this level of polish and especially not for any MMO. Microsoft spent $90 million dollars on a Halo MMO and then they cancelled it. Skyrim cost $85 million and it didn't have a single scrap of multiplayer. It still took them 4 years to do it and they had tons of people working for them that had worked on previous entries in the series. They also didn't have an engine on their hands that had to be completely reworked from the ground up. EDIT: Oh yeah. Bethesda didn't also have to provide a playable game to the masses while they worked and got bitched at constantly.

I'm sorry you didn't do more research before you bought the game. I wish more people hadn't bought this game on impulse without understanding what it was that they were actually getting in to. It would've made this whole process a bit easier on everyone who doesn't enjoy reading constant negativity directed at people who don't deserve it, not to mention the devs themselves. Come to think of it....didn't Rocket even tell people not to buy the SA?

Based on my understanding of all this and what makes inherent sense when looking at the big picture, I would expect the following to be be true if I am correct about what is taking place in DayZ development:

1) Large chunk of time goes by with small changes that will easily be portable into new modules. This would mostly be art assets and other items that don't need major tech changes like buildings and weapons. While I've only been a DayZ player for a couple of months, I'm pretty sure this is the time period that the SA is right on the cusp of leaving. The major tech work is being done here but we won't see it until it is ready.

2) Major tech changes start getting implemented as those modules become completed and ready for stable. Each one will mark a massive jump forward for the game and open up tons of work for the designers. Each one may or may not appear to be a major change from the point of the player. In some cases, like the inventory matrix, it doesn't really look different

3) The race to beta begins. We will begin to see a faster tempo of visible changes that greatly impact the user experience. During this time period, most of the PVP focused players will leave, screaming as they go and harassing devs, I guarantee it. The forum mods will be quite busy and the graveyard will become so full that the servers crash. That last part was a joke.

Edited by ColdAtrophy
  • Like 9

They are fun, but like OP said, you see the one zed running for you, an axe to the head, and next thing you know, there is a train of 10 more on you. You can axe the crap out of them, but you can also get knocked unconscious before you kill them all. It changes the PVE elements somewhat. They hit weaker now, but the swarms make up for it. Also, when you are engaging them, you become a huge and easy target for any other player. All the desync crap makes experimental difficult now, but it might be GRANDE when they figure that out.

The gunshots are what bring them in and aggro them. Axing them, for the most part and they don't do too much. But when you shoot a gun they try and rip you apart in droves. I got caught in a barracks, very bad situation.

Edited by Schweinsteiger

Not the only one that thinks there is copying going on either

I haven't watched the video yet, but I will shortly.

I just have two things to say:

1) The fact that people believe something does not make it true. A lot of people believe a ton of crazy shit. In the case of the Stary tents, it may have been a copy, but that doesn't really mean anything if it was or wasn't.

2) You seem to not have grasped what I wrote earlier. I know it was a lot and maybe you didn't read it all. Maybe I'm not as good at writing as I think I am. Either way, you don't seem to have absorbed and understood it. I didn't say that nothing from the mod would end up in SA. I also didn't say that absolutely none of it would be a direct copy and I make no assumptions and therefore no assertions about why the devs choose to do what they do with each individual asset and patch. For all I know, they had a perfectly good reason to leave the Stary tents off the map all this time. I can brainstorm up a couple, but I can't know. What I did say is that, from the perspective of a developer, the zombies you see now are not the same zombies you saw in the mod, even if you can draw comparisons from your point of view.

The zombies are totally fine, the only thing that got teared apart by this update is the serverside performance. As soon as they improve it, the zombies will be the same as the ones in Stable right now. Nothing to worry about.

The zombies are totally fine, the only thing that got teared apart by this update is the serverside performance. As soon as they improve it, the zombies will be the same as the ones in Stable right now. Nothing to worry about.

I think they "toned down" the aggressive pathfinding of the Zeds because they increased the numbers again (and increased spawn rates in larger cities) so regardless of why they do it , yes ultimoose is right, soon we will have the badass zombies in exp that are on stable ... Can't wait for the zombies to be the #1 reason for fear in this game (alongside humans , those two are #1 together at all times in an apocalypse IMO).

• Like 2