Sign in to follow this  
theEasternDragon

Need some help, apologies from a noob.

So, Arma 2 and 3 are on sale on steam. I have been watching DayZ videos obsessively, and I have decided to get it. But first, I have a few questions.

1. Can an Arma 2 client play on an Arma 3 server in DayZ? So, say I didn't want to pay for Arma 3, but I had Arma 2, could I play on the same servers as the Arma 3 people?

2. Servers aside, are the performance optimizations really worth it in Arma 3? For the extra $30 on top of Arma 2 OA, it is really that good?

3. I have done some research, and I hear that you need Arma 2 to play DayZ on Arma 3, (they use the same assets of something?). Is this true? I am talking about the official mod. (Side note, is this true of other mods such as epoch, origins, etc)?

4. Here are my specs

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550, 2.8 GHz.

GPU: AMD Radeon 6870, 1gb vram

SSD: Yes, Samsung 840 evo.

RAM: 8gb ddr2 800Mhz

PSU: 600W

What kind of performance will I get with this?

5. Standalone vs. Mod. Does the mod still have players? I honestly would like to play something based on Arma rather than something in development. Is there still a community for the mod?

Thanks, If I can get some help that would be great, I am a complete noob here.

• Like 1

Hey,

I think with that rig you should just give arma 2 oa and the official mod a try.

For the standalone you're going to get not a good framerate, even at lowest settings.

• Like 2

That sounds like good advice, though I'm no expert on Arma 3.  I do have it but only tried it once.  I play Arma 2 and the DayZ mod too. 

No, I don't think you can play on Arma 3 servers without Arma 3.  They are mutually exclusive, as are their mods.  I know because I can't play with my mates when they are in DayZ mods for Arma 3. 

If we can clarify anything more, let us know. 

1 no a A2 client can not play A3 server. the game is required.

2 arma series is really poorly optimised in general. These games are extremely CPU heavy and reliant. There are so many items on screen to register at any one time that it takes a half decent CPU for good game experience. Intel normally performs better with it than AMD however A3 seems to have done a lot to improve optimisation for AMD chips and they are seeing great performance.

3 There is no OFFICIAL DayZ mod for A3. There are mods that mimic DayZ and it's offspring but Rocket (the guy who created the original DayZ mod) was working solely on DayZ Standalone and he has even moved away from that now. There are similar mods such as breaking point. There is a Epoch mod and a overpoch mod. Having said that no you don't need A2 and the dayz to play these A3 mods. All you need is the game and Arma3launcher. You can download any mods using this.

4 Those specs will play the mod however not at a very enjoyable FPS count. Like I said its CPU hungry and there are little tweaks to improve them but if you are looking for decent FPS you need to brute force it with high specs.

5 yes it still has a large community of consistent players. This is a game players get really invested in and end up spending a long time on the mods. It also has so many spin off mods. Most notibly Epoch, Origins and overwatch. Even these mods have collaborations such as overpoch and overpochins.

The server I play on see's a consistent player count and maxes out its 65 slots every night. Deadcellgaming.

In short yes it has a player base.

If you do get into the mod and it's variations I have a guide on some of the experience I have gathered through the years. If it interests you take a look http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/224916-pegasus-dayz-mod-tips-and-tricks-a-comprehensive-player-guide/