Sign in to follow this  
Deathlove

Couple Of Protective Suits Id Like To See In Game

We already have the gas mask in game and thats a good start. But for REAL radiation and fire your going to need way more to protect yourself with than just a mask. There are PLENTY of varieties to choose from both civilian and military issued sets.

fukushima-radiation-suits-007.jpg

radiation-suits.jpg

Hazmat-Suit-Radiation-Workers-Nuclear22.

1946371344_fd858d6b52_o.jpg

Chernobyl-Radiation-suits.jpg

385817489_7d3aeb7972.jpg

Blowpipe_missile_2.JPG

Fire Protection Gear

20141205220468636863.jpg

US_Navy_110920-N-DR144-196_Air_Departmen

• Like 2

1) There are no nuclear power plants in South Zagoria.

2) There are also no sites of nuclear-related disaster or bombing

Therefore, radiation-suits are 100% unnecessary

Also;

1) there is no evidence of there being any sort of forest-fire in recent history

in South Zagoria. In fact, the terrain and plants is the "wrong type" for spontaneous fires to break out

2) Currently, fires made by players cannot spread. 

Therefore, fire-resistant suits are also 100% unnecessary

As a slightly-related aside, have you ever worn fully-enclosed suits, like the above? I have, as part of Hazardous Waste removal training, and believe me, they are about the epitome of uncomfortable. Heavy, clumsy (you are barely able to walk, much less run, and handling things is a pain in the ass beyond description), HOT ( I wore a "Class A" PPE + SCBA for about 10 minutes, and I developed hyperthermia as a result), and you only have about 20 minutes of air with the tanks we used.

You won't be doing any fighting, or running, or looting. So.... you won't be having any fun while wearing these types of suits.

Hell, even wearing a respirator was a pain in the ass. Constricted vision, almost total loss of hearing, all you can hear is your breath and your heartbeat, etc etc etc.

1) There are no nuclear power plants in South Zagoria.

2) There are also no sites of nuclear-related disaster or bombing

Therefore, radiation-suits are 100% unnecessary

Also;

1) there is no evidence of there being any sort of forest-fire in recent history

in South Zagoria. In fact, the terrain and plants is the "wrong type" for spontaneous fires to break out

2) Currently, fires made by players cannot spread. 

Therefore, fire-resistant suits are also 100% unnecessary

As a slightly-related aside, have you ever worn fully-enclosed suits, like the above? I have, as part of Hazardous Waste removal training, and believe me, they are about the epitome of uncomfortable. Heavy, clumsy (you are barely able to walk, much less run, and handling things is a pain in the ass beyond description), HOT ( I wore a "Class A" PPE + SCBA for about 10 minutes, and I developed hyperthermia as a result), and you only have about 20 minutes of air with the tanks we used.

You won't be doing any fighting, or running, or looting. So.... you won't be having any fun while wearing these types of suits.

Hell, even wearing a respirator was a pain in the ass. Constricted vision, almost total loss of hearing, all you can hear is your breath and your heartbeat, etc etc etc.

Well i don't doubt any of what you said but there was talk of possible radiation and gasses for the future you would need the mask for. But a mask wouldn't really cut it for radiation depending on the how sever the area is.

And if they don't put it in but a modder wants to i would love for them to be as realistic as possible with how its handled.

And there was talk of molotov cocktails possibly in game to which is basically fire damage. Not on a scary massive lvl as a forest fire would be but it would still provide protection from burns and stuff.

Id be all for the realism of the cons of wearing stuff like this to in order to balance stuff out.

Edited by Deathlove

Well i don't doubt any of what you said but there was talk of possible radiation and gasses for the future you would need the mask for. But a mask wouldn't really cut it for radiation depending on the how sever the area is.

And if they don't put it in but a modder wants to i would love for them to be as realistic as possible with how its handled.

And there was talk of molotov cocktails possibly in game to which is basically fire damage. Not on a scary massive lvl as a forest fire would be but it would still provide protection from burns and stuff.

Id be all for the realism of the cons of wearing stuff like this to in order to balance stuff out.

Sure it would. A respirator is all you really need to prevent fallout particles from being inhaled into your lungs.

Said suits above would do fuck-all to stop radiation from killing you. All they would do is prevent the Alpha, Beta, and Gamma particles from landing on/phasing through your skin, AKA "Beta Burns". The "best" defense against the various types of radiation is a couple of feet of dirt and concrete, mixed with time. 'Real World" radiation fades after a couple of weeks. A "Fallout"-type scenario, where radiation persists for years and years, is almost impossible. The reason places like Chernobyl remain "irradiated" is due to the fact that there were radioactive particles mixed into the soil and water, and the plants and animals absorbed said particles. The actual "Exclusion Zone" is rather safe, so long as you don't eat/drink anything growing/living there. Shit, people live in the 'Exclusion Zone', and there are guided tours!

Sure, a firefighter suit would protect you from fires ala  Molotov Cocktails, but if you wear a firefighter suit around on the off-chance someone lobs a Molotov your way, you are seven different flavors of stupid. The handicaps of the suit (weight, bulk, heat, loss of senses, etc) would FAR outweigh the benefits.

Someone recently posted some pics of some Russian biological hazmat suits. They looked particularly cool (sorry, can't put my finger on the post). While they would not be of any use to a survivor (except perhaps for role playing), who by definition is immune to the virus, these suits would look great on some of the zeds.

• Like 1

I'd say giving some sort of hazmat suit in military installations a la Outbreak, (yes, I'm that generation) would probably be alright.
You'd probably overheat, be clumsy and not be at all stealthy, but it would add an element to the game where it would at least seem like the military was working on it before it got out of hand, much in the flavor of the corpse filled hole in the northern military base. No advantages what so ever, apart from protection from the rain. Just flavor.

• Like 1

these suits would look great on some of the zeds.

This as well! :O

bit offtopic but

seein all these suits really makes me want to see a Museumn of USSR space program including some of the Astronaut suits

yuriy-alekseevich-gagarin.jpg

Edited by halp
  • Like 1

title corrected. I just couldnt leave it.

L