Pvt_Larry (DayZ)

Came back to Chernarus after a long absense

And things are, interesting.

I admit that I haven't gotten very far off the coast yet today, so my perspective is pretty limited, but there are a few things I think I can comment on.

Firstly, the zombies. They're much more interesting now, the way they wander around a bit. This surprised me at first, since I was used to them just hanging out on street corners before. It also seems like it's a bit harder for them to spot you, so it's possible to avoid them. Which I've been inclined to do, because fighting them has proven to be more challenging than before. Are short-handled melee weapons now preferable? Because my experience with long handled weapons now is that if you don't kill with the first hit, they'll continue to push up against you, and make it very difficult to hit again.

In any case, I think they're a bit more fun now.

On the loot, I'm sure my observations have been skewed because I haven't seen much of the whole map yet, but still. It seems that there's an abundance of low-level melee weapons, which is mostly fine, one expects to find shovels in the shed after all, but at the moment it seems that every resident of Chernarus must have owned multiple sets of brass knuckles. I found food and clothing to be a good deal more rare as well (couldn't seem to find any shirts, plenty of hats though) and water, which became very frustrating, because it seemed that I was unable to drink from the pumps directly (or was I doing something wrong?) and I couldn't seem to find a container.

On the whole my performance wasn't drastically improved, but things were a bit more stable. Basically the game ran without giving me any trouble thus far.

Overall, I'd say the experience is probably improved from when I last played, although I'll have to adjust to the new mechanics and find a goddamned can of soda someplace. Any flaws with my observations?

I think the zombies may be bugged. I will be looking around and see nothing in any direction and all of a sudden I am being hit its not just like 1 or 2 hits it spam hits me until I kill it. its annoying. other than that its better.

I think the zombies may be bugged. I will be looking around and see nothing in any direction and all of a sudden I am being hit its not just like 1 or 2 hits it spam hits me until I kill it. its annoying. other than that its better.

Sometimes the zombies will be walking through/inside bushes, where you can't see them but they can still see you.

What's the best way to kill them now though? Would I be better off with a short-handled type of weapon, or a bayonet or something? I'm finding it tough to use longer weapons (I've tried pickaxe and hoe so far) once they get too close, though I may just have to adjust a bit.

What's the best way to kill them now though? Would I be better off with a short-handled type of weapon, or a bayonet or something? I'm finding it tough to use longer weapons (I've tried pickaxe and hoe so far) once they get too close, though I may just have to adjust a bit.

Best way, at least for me, is with a suppressed pistol....  I've never aggro more than I could chew yet...

2mw9nxj.jpg

Also, walk crouched to sneak. You can avoid most infected that way. You can get pretty close to them that way if they are not facing you. If they face you though, crouching closer than 10 meters from them will still get you aggro.

Good luck!

• Like 3

Don't worry about the amount of Brass Knuckles and other items. A lot of items are 'tested' by having them everywhere, just to increase the interaction with them. They will be fine-tuned later in Alpha. For zombies, I try not to fight them, but will run them a bit, get 'em tired, and lead them into a house where I will lock them in. Works most of the time. They hit less hard than before, so you can take a few shots. 

• Like 1

Pristine brass knuckles, the ol 1-2 ko works best on zombies for melee imo.

Huh, I'll have to try them out sometime. I usually just leave them in favor of weapons with a bit more reach.

Your observations are canny and accurate. Zombies are a lot more fun and interesting than in past iterations. However, they currently are stealthy ninjas whose footsteps make no sound. They have a nasty tendency to sneak up on your and start hitting you from behind with no warning.

Regarding pumps, it's been a week since I last played, but you should still be able to drink from them directly via the action menu, though I think the actual interaction area on the pumps was moved around a little.

Best way to fight the undead?

Lock 'em in  a house so the next bambi that comes along can have some fun! :lol:

Melee combat with zombies is teeth-grindingly, mouse-throwingly, shit-losingly frustrating.

They just zoom around you like a fucking bluebottle and are near impossible to hit. I have completely given up "practicing" this particular "skill" on the assumption that both zombies and melee combat in general will be fixed sooner or later, thereby rendering the process of getting better at fighting them a complete waste of time. Besides, they are incredibly easy to avoid/ignore, since they are so unobservant and unreactive now, so long as you don't fire a gun anywhere near them.