Sign in to follow this  
SniperV (DayZ)

I've got convinced to play 1pp more.

Recently I've realised that my approach towards playing 1st person view in DayZ has changed. Previously I used to play both modes even though I've spent most of my time in DayZ (SA and the mod) using 3pp.

I think that it begun with recent release of GTA 5 on PC, where I mostly played using 1pp.

In the past I've witnessed many threads about 1pp vs 3pp, and not a single one could convince me that 1pp is more fun.

Usually 1pp enthusiasts would just brag that their setting requires more skill, 3pp is cheating etc. Then they would suggest removal of 3pp or something similar.

Basically, those guys were massive d*cks. No wonder, I wasn't convinced.

One more thing I want to mention before I start:

Play whatever mode you want, it's YOUR choice.

Why I think 1pp can be more fun:

1. Paranoia.

You see what your character sees. Nothing more. You might meet your death behind the corner of the house, but you won't see it untill it stares right in your face. Hopefully, as the time passes, our character's lives will become more precious. Tougher survival, more rare items and guns and the paranoia will grow back to the mod's levels.

Imagine running around military area. You've just found you favourite, rare gun in the barracks. About to run out but suddenly you hear unusuall noise. Footsteps? Was it a zombie? Nothing after that.

Will you stay in the corner and wait?

Will you peek out, knowing that someone might shoot you in the face?

2. Driving

So far we have limited options for vehicles, but it should change in the future.

Driving in 3pp is easy. You can easily stick to the road and look around in the same time. If someone shoots you, you can probably spot them while still driving.

1pp changes it drastically. If you're the driver, you better focus on the road or you'll risk crashing into debris.

Is that a dude on my left? Hmm, lets see. *Boom* You crashed into a tree.

Wanna know if someone's chasing you? Use the mirrors or risk looking back.

Going offroad? Better watch CAREFULLY for rocks.

One more thing.

Lets say we can put some extra protection for the front windscreen (like in Origins). Big piece of scrap metal, with small hole to look through. Congrats. You're protected from the front, but suddenly you can't see shit. Fair trade.

3. Flying

It might be comming, and if it is I wouldn't mind seeing it only on 1pp servers. You WILL need a lot of practice for your dedicated pilots. Average bambi might be able to slowly land with auto hover on, with a lot of space and on a flat ground. That's it. We don't need bullshit "flying manuals" to find and read before giving players flying vehicles. Just limit camera to 1pp in vehicles, spawn some Antonovs and enjoy the lulz when people try to land. No parachutes this time, force them to land if they want to fly somewhere.

4. Sneaking.

Oh look, a guy camping in the bushes with a sniper rifle. If you can get behing him and he doesn't hear you, you can probably even empty his backpack. 3pp camera won't give away your position anymore.

To sum up. Give 1pp a shot. Don't test it just for running around and looting, but try driving, fighting from that perspective. You can get back to 3pp servers any time you want, but maybe, just maybe there's a whole lot of excitement just waiting there for you.

Feel free to share your thoughts but keep it civilized.

• Like 7

First-person perspective for life. Too many people complain about motion sickness and headaches. Apparently they've never played any other FPS ever.

It just feels better, and levels the playing field, preventing people on the high ground having supreme advantage over those on the low ground.

• Like 2

Love me some 1PP, I wish the word would spread like wildfire and we would see higher pops on 1PP servers.

• Like 3

I played it a bit.

I think this will be the perfect thing when you can play this game with something like the Oculus Rift or similar.

Yes its real life but, you dont have peripheral vision in the 1pp version and that's where it sucks the big one or have it set up with 3 screens as people have for sim racing, that gives you some peripheral vision.

It was fun playing that way but really lacks in that area

Edited by PlasticAssasin8
  • Like 1

GTA 5

You mention a brainless redneck-oriented, console casual game. Didn't read any further.

I like first person for the immersion and the more natural field of view. I like to play on first persion servers because the latter part warps the gameplay.

First-person perspective for life. Too many people complain about motion sickness and headaches.

That what happens if you reduce your FoV to get a higher zoom factor and keep it there all the time. Many players have issues with the FoV being too small for their screen.

If only camera is positioned a bit higher. It feel like you are looking from chest height.

• Like 1

I also switched to fully 1pp after 0.55. Loving it so far, gives the game a whole new perspective.

• Like 1

First-person perspective for life. Too many people complain about motion sickness and headaches. Apparently they've never played any other FPS ever.

It just feels better, and levels the playing field, preventing people on the high ground having supreme advantage over those on the low ground.

In my experience most of the people that complain about motion sickness seem to either play with headbob and post-process effects enabled for unknown reasons.

I've always preferred 1pp in Arma and DayZ and never had any problems with the 1st-person view. :)

1pp has always been an immersion thing for me but judging by how the forum posts usually degrade into the needless 3pp vs 1pp skill debate,  that seems to be the minority reason.  Glad you have finally seen the excitement it can create :)

I'm a first person fan but ive got to point out, the motion sickness and Headaches is Obvious *why* if you have been used to 3rd person for a long time and are truthfully a dayz addict (then you play for many many hours). So, then randomly doing all your actions and awareness in 1st person can create some neasua sometimes.

Easy example, I have TrackIRpro5. a headtracker very handy to use in anything 1st person. but if i play for an hour on 1st person, i will get sick. from moving my head around to move my characterrs head. But honestly, dont rip on people who complain about Motion sickness and headaches, they are legitamate reasons.

Remeber this game has so much to do , Besides aim down a rifle and shoot,  and also other FPS games, generally are LIMITED to1st person. So you either play it and get used to it or you dont. with Dayz/the mod/arma, There's always been a choice, and that means if someone wants to try 1st person it will take some adapting.

PS. i can play 1st person. and walk around no problem, if i start running and shooting and doing everything else, for 30minutes nonstop, yeah i'll get a little motion sick (wont ever barf of course)

<3 1st person for Risk vs Reward - PvP

<3 3rd person for enjoying PVE

Edited by RyanH

I much prefer 1st person. Firstly, I don't feel like I have to keep switching between 1st and 3rd to be on a level playing field. I usually enter 1st when I enter buildings, but if someone happens to be in 3rd, peeking round a doorway, then I'm fucked.

I actually got into a firefight of a sort the other day. Was leaving a firestation when a RAK opened up on me. It only hit me 2 or 3 times and I didn't even start bleeding. In a panic, I fired off my flare gun (it was night) and ran back into the firestation. I then equipped my MP5 and waited. The sound of the flare masked my movements, so I was able to maneuver to get a good angle on the back door while having cover from the two big doors. I heard the guy close the front doors, so I'd know if he was coming that way. I waited a good 5 or 10 minutes without moving an inch. He must have thought I was dead. Eventually he inched through the back door and I was able to empty half a mag into him. Unfortunately I ruined everything he had. I waited another couple of minutes to see if he had friends. Eventually I sprinted out the back and out of the town. It was my first proper fight where I wasn't just killed outright, and it was fucking amazing.

If that scenario was in 3pp we would have both been peeking round the corner. The fluke whereby I was able to trick him (I think) into believing I was dead wouldn't have worked because he would have been looking at me the whole time. He would have maneuvered himself to have the advantage because he'd be able to see me, so I would have countered. He wouldn't have risked coming in because he'd see that I was alive and well.

1pp is infinitely more rewarding. I'll admit that melee is a pain, but that is the only circumstance where I can allow the 'peripheral vision' argument. Peripheral vision doesn't allow you to see behind yourself, or over walls. If you're getting motion sick, I'm pretty sure you can disable head bob and motion blur. I know I did.

• Like 2

All in all, good stuff here. I've always prefered 1pp and found it sad/troubling when the 1pp pop died in the mod/s. I do think players get too used to 3pp and don't give 1pp a fair chance due to how vulnerable they feel without that floating exploit. Fact is you're not going to be engaged by someone who saw you while safely behind cover. Thus camping is less rewarding.

It truly is all about risk vs reward and if someone can see you, you can see them too (though they maybe well hidden). The only downfall IMO is it makes ghillie suits slightly less OP (which can be a good thing too).

Keep up the good fight folks, long live 1pp!

In my experience most of the people that complain about motion sickness seem to either play with headbob and post-process effects enabled for unknown reasons.

I've always preferred 1pp in Arma and DayZ and never had any problems with the 1st-person view. :)

In my group of 6 real life friends, 2 of them suffered motion sickness and had to play on 3PP with the FoV way out.

I talked them through all their settings including post processing and headbob.

I have been playing FPS shooters with these guys (multiplayer and single player) for 15+ years (HL1 and 2/CS/CZ/CSS/CSGO/L4D2/Far Cry 3/Bioshock) and they haven't had issues in any other games.

First person is a much better game BUT the motion sickness thing is real. It's not caused by headbob or any of the other reasons people who don't suffer claim. It's caused by low and stuttering fps. In third seeing your character means that your brain has something to anchor onto so fps stutters aren't so disorientating. 

I found the best thing I did was get a couple of sdds and although they didn't magically deliver high fps, I wasn't going from teen fps up to 60ish and back again. I used to have to avoid certain built up areas on the map because of the fps (e.g. apartments north of cherno/zelen/novo.)

Makes me laugh this theory people have that 3rd person players instead of just saying they prefer 3rd would make up an illness as an excuse because they fear the derision of super hardcore players. That's demented.

I hate 3rd person games yet I played hundreds of hours of 3rd person dayz. Maybe instead of making up a conspiracy theory that I'm just covering up being a coward by pretending to get ill playing in first we could admit there's a problem and aim at ways of fixing that.

Edited by freethink
  • Like 1

I'm a first person fan but ive got to point out, the motion sickness and Headaches is Obvious *why* if you have been used to 3rd person for a long time and are truthfully a dayz addict (then you play for many many hours).

That's not true at all. Lol. I find it very hard to believe that someone who plays DayZ (a fairly niche game, even with 3,000,000 copies sold, considering USA alone has a population of 400,000,000+) doesn't play any first person shooter. How many complaints of motion sickness so you see in any other game?

It's literally because of head bob and post-processing like someone else mentioned.

• Like 1

That's not true at all. Lol. I find it very hard to believe that someone who plays DayZ (a fairly niche game, even with 3,000,000 copies sold, considering USA alone has a population of 400,000,000+) doesn't play any first person shooter. How many complaints of motion sickness so you see in any other game?

It's literally because of head bob and post-processing like someone else mentioned.

Not at all. This is just a theory by some people who are unaffected and can't understand the very basic reason is low or stuttering fps. It's not complicated. Once the engine can achieve a steady rate of frames no-one will suffer from motion sickness - head bob or no head bob.

Edited by freethink
  • Like 1

I've been playing Skyrim lately and when I jumped back onto DayZ I had to go with 1st person after doing so in Skyrim. Looting is so much easier in 1st person.

First person is a much better game BUT the motion sickness thing is real. It's not caused by headbob or any of the other reasons people who don't suffer claim. It's caused by low and stuttering fps. In third seeing your character means that your brain has something to anchor onto so fps stutters aren't so disorientating. 

This I could understand, but surely the arms/weapon model would have the same effect?

This I could understand, but surely the arms/weapon model would have the same effect?

The camera actually seems to move around more in 1pp. Compare the two, as you run you may notice it sway from side to side in 1pp.

It's probably a matter or degree. The more you see the more your brain has to anchor onto. I honestly don't know but imo the biggest factor is frame drop/jitter. I'd guess a constant 20fps would be less troubling than 10 then 50 then 20 fps in quick succession.

To be honest, I thought the motion sickness people were weak, sickly people until it happened to me. I've never properly had it in any other game. I got a bit of a headache in arma but didn't connect it to the game. It was one day in dayz at the apartments north of cherno that I figured it out. I cannot overstate how much I dislike 3rd person games. If there's some lauded 3p game my though is "I wish they made this into a fps then I could play it."

Also what I found was it's the instability of fps that is the main cause i.e. when you are going from 16 to 60 and back again. It's the jitter that causes it, for me anyway. Before I got ssds all I had to do is go to those apartments north of cherno for a while.

Again, I say that as someone who thought the motion sickness people were some sort of tiny minority with brain problems. It's a real thing and will affect all humans playing fps when they are dealing with jittering/low frame rates.

Also, right or wrong, I think a wider fov equals a lower framerate so I have mine quite narrow - to the point of wearing blinkers and that exacerbates the disorientation.

Edited by freethink

So who of you was the fuck that shot me and my guy way up north-east near a small village, some wells and a lot of deerstands?

Like it was literally way up north, at the top and end of the map

I would have never thought that I'd meet someone up there, until I got hit.

We shot zombies like madmen, though.

Good post! I've played both, though lately mainly with 3pp because my friends play in 3pp servers. 1pp lacks peripheral vision as PlasticAssassin pointed out, it's like playing one eye closed, then again 3pp gives you too much, as you can see your surroundings while crouching behind a wall. And truck driving is ridiculous in 3pp, you can basicly see everything around you. I like both modes for different reasons, but sometimes I'm thinking can't they come up with an engine closer to the vision what we have in the real world?