Stonedflame

Think before you shoot. (How to distinguish between heroes and bandits at a glance)

One of the biggest causes of Shoot on Sight is paranoia. New players are the single greatest threat to Hero humanity, because they either can't distinguish a potential ally from some trigger-happy asshole, or are trigger-happy assholes themselves and force a hero to murder in self defense. This is a guide for the former. First off is a short guide on humanity.

You can raise your humanity by healing other players and killing bandits whose humanity is below 0 (killing ten or more zombies per minute will yield humanity in Origins). This is a time-consuming process and progress can be undone very quickly by murder. Someone who has put that much time into helping others will genuinely feel bad if they are forced to lower their humanity because of you. Killing any non-bandit player comes with a big penalty to humanity that makes murder not worth the price.

Now for a lesson on recognizing them on the spot.

A Hero will be wearing a blue checkered shirt under a bulletproof vest and have a humanity of 5000 or more (except in the variable DayZ Origins, which I will cover in a later guide). You can usually trust them not to kill you if you are unarmed and may approach you to offer aid. If you hear someone talking to you on direct chat, it will almost always be a hero, as it alerts you to their presence and gives away their position, removing the element of surprise. Heroes can sprint a bit faster than Bandits and Survivors before they get winded, take only half damage from zombies, and are protected from some low-caliber guns, such as Makarovs.

A Bandit will be wearing a black tactical vest, but are most easily distinguished by their shemagh, or head-scarf. These are players who have killed other survivors or heroes, and have humanities below 0. There is no penalty for killing a bandit, and may sometimes boost your humanity. Sometimes, a friendly player will get unlucky and dodge all incoming bullets in a fight with an attacker, causing a penalty. An unrepentant killer will rarely, if ever, give up a stealth advantage by talking in direct chat. They'd turn you into swiss cheese as quickly as look at you. Bandits, like survivors, get no benefits for their actions aside from what they pull off your carcass.

When wearing a Ghille Suit, a hero's entire body will be covered by it, whereas a bandit's pants will be exposed. 

Feel free to give feedback and offer suggestions, not that you need my approval.

• Like 2

What is this?

This, Is someone posting in the wrong section, Mainly about a mod that isn't related to this forum.

• Like 3

This is someone who is VERY late to the MOD.

Edit: Should we explain to him about how you exploit the Hero skin or let him find out they're mostly bandits on his own?

Edited by creature
  • Like 2

This is someone who is VERY late to the MOD.

Edit: Should we explain to him about how you exploit the Hero skin or let him find out they're mostly bandits on his own?

Lessons learned in blood are not quickly forgotten. ;)

Edited by Preach
  • Like 1

Heroes can sprint a bit faster than Bandits and Survivors before they get winded, take only half damage from zombies, and are protected from some low-caliber guns, such as Makarovs.

I played the mod for close to if not 2000 hours - and your above statement was never true for me

I played the mod for close to if not 2000 hours - and your above statement was never true for me

none of his statements are even close to true.

he posted in the Standalone section.

Edited by therandomredstone

Sometimes I get scared and shot on sight. but when I do not shoot on sight I get killed.

Op:

If i would do that as your saying. In dayz mod i would be dead like 1 trilion times. I don't see any way difirent what so ever in day sa and i rly doubt any veteran like me, will change its mind.

As for you bambies, have it your way. Go on and die, like a bug.

Edited by metalica24

Do heroes really get those artificial benefits in the mod? Sound stupid to me. Especially as every karma system is initially flawed by the creators specific take on morality as well as the specific implementation and can be abused by following it "by the letter".

In reality it's much harder to distinguish but players will usually select gear and develop skills according to their playstyle. So in actual fact chances are higher it's the bandit/killer who gets advantages in combat and not the friendly hero. However the latter might be quicker to react from a relaxed position as their playstyle puts them into this situation more often. Having their face visible or hidden is not an indicator as you cannot identify someone by his/her face at the moment.

Sorry, I know the OP got it mixed up and this thread shouldn't even be here, but this piqued my interest:

Is that so? How do you exactly abuse the humanity system in the mod to become a bandit in a hero skin? Note: I've never played the mod myself.

Sorry, I know the OP got it mixed up and this thread shouldn't even be here, but this piqued my interest:

Is that so? How do you exactly abuse the humanity system in the mod to become a bandit in a hero skin? Note: I've never played the mod myself.

Spam your buddies with bloodbags. Raises your humanity quite fast. There was a time the hero skins were instantly considered to be bandits..the skins simply don't work out.

Spam your buddies with bloodbags. Raises your humanity quite fast. There was a time the hero skins were instantly considered to be bandits..the skins simply don't work out.

LOL. Well played, you devious devious earth hu-mans.

well put, but next time in the correct forum, moved to correct section 

• Like 2

It would be great if those things were true and worked in the game but as some have said, exploiters get their hero gear and still kill others.

I rarely earn humanity to get hero status but I help everyone and in all the years I've been playing, only killed one person because despite my warnings he just would not coming towards me.

I find I play lone-wolf and quiet servers because every single time I help someone I end up dead.  I still do it but it would be so nice not to end up dead after being alive for say 3 months and find you're dead again because someone wanted a wheel on your car.  :huh:

I still play every single day if I can and still love it.  This latest version of the mod is great though I dislike all the making things or "crafting" as it seems to be called these days.  I like to hunt, kill zeds and travel round the map.  Making things isn't for me.  :thumbsup: