Sign in to follow this  
sgtpotatoes@gmail.com

Toy Guns/Junk Guns

If you're desperate, something that looks like it could shoot you is still useful.  Just having something threatening in your hand can give you an extra second to escape or gain a momentary advantage over someone.  I wouldn't recommend making them too common, just so people don't expect the bluff all the time, and many of them should have passing resemblance to actual guns if they're not straight replicas.  Toys could be found in homes or cars, and the DayZ equivalent of vendor trash in barns or deer stands.  Junked guns could also be melted down whenever that becomes a thing.

I'd like to see things like:

- Rusted out service pistols

- Guns missing triggers or cylinders

- Cracked chambers, etc.

- Brightly colored plastic guns (Can spraypaint black)

- Cap guns (Sounds a little like a .22, useful for signaling or distracting)

See Airheads, the robbery from Bandits, or the Father's revolver with wooden bullets in The Road for examples of how these types of items would be useful.

• Like 6

I agree. There could be more ruined guns in the 1.0 than we are imagining right now, this might increase player interaction. Has a better chance than fully automatic loaded rifles with scarce economy.

No, if you want a broken gun put a pistol in your pocket and have your buddy shoot you.

I think you're missing the point.  I'm not talking about ruined guns.  I'm talking about finding junk and knick-knacks that you could use to fool people into thinking you're armed when it's hard to find real working guns.  Create opportunities in a dire situation by being clever.  

Random junk that serves little to no purpose only puts more strain on the server, I say keep non-essential items hardly anyone will use out, at least until items don't have such a heavy impact on server performance.

• Like 1

Cap guns would be nice, if they can resemble guns in the game like thr Magnum or M1911 at a glance. Could be used as a distraction, signal and to scare people if the firing noise resembles the .22s or the M1911.

Random junk that serves little to no purpose only puts more strain on the server, I say keep non-essential items hardly anyone will use out, at least until items don't have such a heavy impact on server performance.

That's true, I hadn't considered the server load, but they don't have to be common. I'd just like them to be included.

I think you're missing the point.  I'm not talking about ruined guns.  I'm talking about finding junk and knick-knacks that you could use to fool people into thinking you're armed when it's hard to find real working guns.  Create opportunities in a dire situation by being clever.

No I get the idea.

It's just not a good one IMO

I'd like to see guns spawning with a random condition - anywhere from badly damaged (not ruined) to pristine, with a preference for worn and damaged. I fail to see the point of toy guns and such. From a distance they might look real, but I don't think it'd take very long for people to be able to identify which guns are real and which ones are not.

Ruined guns, of course, could be spawned, which would be fine if ruined guns could be restored to a working condition. However, as far as I am aware they cannot be repaired so it seems like a poor idea. It'd just clutter up the loot tables.

guns without ammo work, no? or maybe put your finger in your jacket lol

If you're desperate, something that looks like it could shoot you is still useful.  Just having something threatening in your hand can give you an extra second to escape or gain a momentary advantage over someone.  I wouldn't recommend making them too common, just so people don't expect the bluff all the time, and many of them should have passing resemblance to actual guns if they're not straight replicas.  Toys could be found in homes or cars, and the DayZ equivalent of vendor trash in barns or deer stands.  Junked guns could also be melted down whenever that becomes a thing.

I'd like to see things like:

- Rusted out service pistols

- Guns missing triggers or cylinders

- Cracked chambers, etc.

- Brightly colored plastic guns (Can spraypaint black)

- Cap guns (Sounds a little like a .22, useful for signaling or distracting)

See Airheads, the robbery from Bandits, or the Father's revolver with wooden bullets in The Road for examples of how these types of items would be useful.

Reminds me of this one time, I was taking shelter in some train station, some 2 fresh spawn also came in, I pulled out the 1911 ( had 0 bullets) and the two stayed back while I slowly withdrew to the forest.