Echo4890

BAF L85/SA80 variants

why would the BAF be in Chernarus?

Wasn't it fairly clear that NATO forces were doing things in Chernarus? The L85 makes as much sense as the M4 and (as a military rifle) more than the FAL.

Hello there

Whilst I'd like to see the FAL in game (as a UK based rifle) I just dont think its in any use whatsoever (not even cadets) so on that basis the A1(?)/A2 do make more sense.

For me though, the FN is the archityple British weapon of my youth along with the Sterling SMG.

All my ex forces chums rate the FN way above the SA80 and derivatives.

It really was a proper battle rifle.

Regardless, we are a little off topic we need to concentrate more on the pros and cons of the L85/SA80

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

This weapon looks like one of those weapons from ARMA 3

Honest to god, never saw the point in saying which weapons go where.

FAL in Syria

712649-01-08.jpg

This is on the tame side of the images I've presented demonstrating the globalized variety of firearms. That and haven't the developers said the FAL was incoming at some point?

Hello there

Whilst I'd like to see the FAL in game (as a UK based rifle) I just dont think its in any use whatsoever (not even cadets) so on that basis the A1(?)/A2 do make more sense.

For me though, the FN is the archityple British weapon of my youth along with the Sterling SMG.

Regardless, we are a little off topic we need to concentrate more on the pros and cons of the L85/SA80

Rgds

LoK

Yup, my dad was RAF. Trained on the FAL, though I think he calls it an SLR.

Apparently he was selected as part of the Olympic shooting team, but he cheated by modifying the sights. He stuck a needle on the back sight so he could see the target better - of course that didn't go down well and he was disqualified ;D

I remember a couple of years ago I was allowed into a small armoury at an RAF guard room. There were several FALs there, along with some kind of bolt-action rifle. The SA80s were kept on a gun rack while the other weapons were lined up on the floor, so I suppose it's unlikely that those weapons were used.

I was also let into a sort of training simulation that used SA80s, so yeah I don't think FALs are used for training purposes. This only covers the RAF, though, couldn't tell you about the army or marines. I suspect they're the same, though.

I'd like to see both the FAL and the L85/SA80. If I had to choose I think I'd pick the FAL just because there aren't any battle rifles in the game. Unless the SKS is one? I'm not a gun guy.

• Like 1

post-220413-0-03372800-1429744355_thumb.

Since we started getting offtopic with the fal I was wondering about the l85 lmg variant to spawn along with the l85 like how the Steyr Aug is coming in with a hbar variant.(edit apperntly I placed two extra pics to bad I dont know how to make the pic bigger at least I finnaly was able to do it lol).

Edited by DaNic2553

Hello there

The FN FAL not a British gun. It was designed and made by Fabrique Nationale, also known as FN. From Belgium. The British and Commonwealth states used the L1A1, a version of the FN FAL that was built to imperial measurements rather then metric. Also the idea of it being restricted to helicopters is ludicrous. The FAL (or L1A1 if they use that design) should be found where Chernorussian red star insurgent caches should be located. It makes more sense that rebels were using it rather than the regular army of Chernorussia or Western/Eastern special forces.

Sorry for the sidebar.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifl86a1.jpg

Since we started getting offtopic with the fal I was wondering about the l85 lmg variant to spawn along with the l85 like how the Steyr Aug is coming in with a hbar variant.(edit apperntly I placed two extra pics to bad I dont know how to make the pic bigger at least I finnaly was able to do it lol).

L86

Honest to god, never saw the point in saying which weapons go where.

There will be a limited amount of weapons with limited rarity. Okay, how about an example: Blaser BB97, Rossi R92, Colt Python, derringer. All of which could be found in gun stores and private hands in various European countries. But add those all in and the end result is not "authentic", as can be seen now. If they're going to add weapons they should have all have a well thought out and reasonable backstory and should be common or generic examples since they will be spawning thousands upon thousands of times. But many people don't mind, so...

All of which could be found in gun stores and private hands in various European countries. But add those all in and the end result is not "authentic", as can be seen now. If they're going to add weapons they should have all have a well thought out and reasonable backstory and should be common or generic examples since they will be spawning thousands upon thousands of times. But many people don't mind, so...

Demonstrating the utter futility in dogmatically and rigidly applying real-world expectations/circumstances to a game. I'm sick and tired of being lumped in with people that "don't mind." I mind, I mind a lot, I just don't nail myself to the cross whenever they decide to include a rare weapon chambered in a common caliber or somesuch. Why? Because I don't inscribe the entirety of DayZ's worth on the degree to which it has "realistically" depicted weapons. They make it work without binding themselves indefinitely, owing to creative license.

Authenticity means (among a variety of things, depending on who's using the term or who's asking) they gave it their best try within the confines of what they wanted to accomplish as a video game (i.e. have things respawning). You're essentially saying that they cannot deviate from reality in the pursuit of "authenticity" because of a video game paradigm, respawning items. Authenticity means compromise, as the developers have done countless times with us.

Moreover, defining "authenticity" is subjective, especially, in a fictional medium. It's up to the developers to define what's "authentic," which is in and of itself a bullshit dev-speak word used to say "we do what we want."

It's unreasonable to expect every item to be justified (although I'd love that kind of attention to lore) with some sort of incorporated backstory. It's fairly easy (see CR rather than CZ), but still unreasonable to expect the developers to justify everything in-game just to please.

The FN FAL not a British gun. It was designed and made by Fabrique Nationale, also known as FN. From Belgium. The British and Commonwealth states used the L1A1, a version of the FN FAL that was built to imperial measurements rather then metric. Also the idea of it being restricted to helicopters is ludicrous. The FAL (or L1A1 if they use that design) should be found where Chernorussian red star insurgent caches should be located. It makes more sense that rebels were using it rather than the regular army of Chernorussia or Western/Eastern special forces.

Sorry for the sidebar.

Hello there

Im well aware of it's origins, when i said as a UK gun, I meant in terms of it being implemented in game as a weapon used by UK forces :) As was kindly pointed out earlier "we" referred to it as the SLR.

For many of us Brits (of a certain age)the FN FAL/SLR is the archetypal UK battlerifle no matter it's origins. (Kind of equal to the "AK" being part of the "bad guys" kit).

Back to the SA80 (im just going to refer to it as that no matter variants/designations), I would like to see it in several forms from the extended GPMG (LMG?) as posted above and in any carbine form (if any exist).

The Arma 2 Baf add on had some nice variants.

As to whether it belongs in game or not? Well, I think we are far past the realms of what many feel is "realism" so why not?

Cherno+ is a fantasy environ (yes, yes I know what it's based on) and why not pretend that U.N.I.T was dispatched and the SLRs are from them and the SA80's are from UK peacekeeping forces?

We do get around.

Sierra Leone

ikwqIO9.jpg

Bosnia

BWiYdrE.jpg

Kosovo

WutAvTA.jpg

Falklands

YiPsoeX.jpg

And those are just the major scraps.

• Like 1

I'd actually dig it if there was a foreign army base on a new island, which only spawns weapons of a certain type. It's not unusual for countries that want protection to allow foreign countries to build a base on their land; they'd usually rent that space, but have souvereignity inside the base. This could make for some interesting and unique places, as e.g. you'd suddenly find yourself in a more "western" looking environment with teapots and Union Jacks galore. This base could be from post cold-war times, so it wouldn't challenge the NATO base, which is sure to come in the North-West. The NATO base would probably have the most modern weapons and equipment, while the older outpost would have all the guns used before that, like the FAL or BAR rifles. It could also be that the workshop buildings can only be found at such locations, so you could go there to modify your weapons or piece something together from the parts you found around that base.

I think it would be neat to have bases that each differently represent their respective era. So it would start with the old russian/communist bases (1960-80), then there would be the post cold war base (1985-1999) and finally the rather huge NATO outpost which has all the latest decontaimination gear and along with it the most modern weapons and equipment (2000-2010). That way you get some places of original interest, which also could be interesting simply for their different designs/looks. I would not mind finding an FAL at the British site, but i would mind finding it in a supermarket or inside a toilet house. I think weapons like these should still be earned by finding a) a way to get on location, b)challenging environments/danger, PvP favoured areas. The risk is only having too many of these areas, which will spread the players too thin. I think there already are a lot of bases, but they seem to concentrate on the center and western part of the map and all the way up. I never quite got it why there isn't even a Camp at Berezino (e.g. for quarantine), since this area is so large, but without any military presence. Instead, there is a base in the northern forest, which nobody knows of why it is there. Could be a training facility of old days, but it sure looks dull despite the bunkers.    

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

liking the base with teapots idea, even craft a cup of tea to warm up!

Heh, yeah. Thanks! I tend to go a bit offtopic, because well...Dayz just does that with me. Dreams upon dreams upon dreams - the game is like an onion and we are only peeling away the outer layers :)

What I meant to say was: give these places character! If I find a gun/rifle in an area that looks like it would have this loot irl, I will most likely go there and enjoy myself more than when I find the same item in an outhouse by chance. We have seen so many models made for Dayz. And they are all great models, yet we still see 90% of the buildings that were already in the mods. Actually the mods had some cooler ones. I don't need 20 more melee weapons at this point, but I would like some more diversity in the environment. Prison Island was a great start at that, but it could be taken to a whole new level with the areas I described in my prior post.  

I would like to say the idea of consistent western spawns could maybe be extended to a type of embassy or consulate? It is not uncommon for a small security from the embassy's country of origin to be stationed there with their own weapons/uniforms/and equipment.

I would like to say the idea of consistent western spawns could maybe be extended to a type of embassy or consulate? It is not uncommon for a small security from the embassy's country of origin to be stationed there with their own weapons/uniforms/and equipment.

A great idea! Embassy buildings are usually quite stately and interesting. It would be an alternative to those that can't reach the islands or loot in completely different areas (like Novomotrovsk). I think it would be interesting to have the island I spoke about connected through a bridge, so we could already go there that way now and have more options later when there are rafts or boats. But I like the embassy idea! You could probably get some unique stuff there and it makes sense that they have an armory. It could really be any European country, as we have seen in the pictures posted in the thread that the FAL or BAF where used all over the globe. 

it was simple and reliable, I have no military service only cadet experience in my teens (I'm now 39 lol) I had the pleasure of firing L85, Bren gun and SLR on the firing range, I got a black-eye off the SLR by being too close to the ironsight lol, it was a beast.

Edited by wooly-back-jack

L85A2 susat was my favorite gun in epoch, I'd like to see it implemented into the standalone for selfish reasons but I do admit there's not much reason for such a rare rifle to turn up in chernarus.

Dont read the original post bit.

There is a UK assault vest and UN sht, 

Uk is part of the UN,

So wouldnt the L85 have a place in Chernarus?

Edited by Echo4890
  • Like 1

Dont read the original post bit.

There is a UK assault vest and UN sht, 

Uk is part of the UN,

So wouldnt the L85 have a place in Chernarus?

Who is to say those vest you find belonged to British troops.

Like most things in game I simply assumed they were military surplus just like in Ukraine with ukranian soldiers with german camos and german vests and body armor yet there are zero german troops in the nation.