Sign in to follow this  
FlimFlamm

Modular Vehicles: What are they?

Modular Vehicles Poll  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Are basic modular/constructable vehicles a good Idea?

In DayZ standalone we currently have the V3S and like the original DayZ mod, it currently spawns in random locations. This severely limits reliable access to vehicles which was one of the major issues of the original DayZ mod. Secondary mods like Epoch and Overwatch (for the original DayZ mod) became much more popular because of basebuilding and because of the reliable access to vehicles. The availability of vehicles on original DayZ mod servers depended on the settings of the server (usually jacked up very high so there would be as many vehicles as possible) but on many servers finding a vehicle was a matter or pure luck. (finding them and keeping them was not stable or reliable or consistent in any way)

In order to address the problem of vehicle availability, it should be the case that an assortment of makeshift vehicles be made constructable from the ground up.

The most simple makeshift vehicle should be a small 1-2 person buggy built off of a modular small frame. In order to build the frame there should be some resource collection involved, and then in order to complete the vehicle should require an engine (can be modular, meaning numerous types of engines), wheels (can be modular, meaning different types of tire and different handling on/off road), and some sort of auxilliary parts like siding/armor (can be modular in terms of weight/armor level which will affect overall speed of the vehicle)

Players will need to gather some sort of metal, an engine, engine parts, wheels, and other miscellaneous crap, which alone might be a fairly laborious process, and the result could be something like this:

hqdefault.jpg

The buggy would behave in speed/handling according to the engine and wheels and overall weight, and once the frame breaks due to damage will become wreckage (perhaps partially salvageable) and will dissappear on a server restart (along with any salvagable parts).

It is possible to make the requirements for actually building a buggy like this such that you basically need a team and a base in order to accumulate all the tools, parts, and raw resources required to complete the assembly. It doesn't really matter to me how easy or difficult it is, so long as it is available it will give me something to dedicate my time to that has a tangable reward.

A bigger makeshift vehicle could be constructed in a similar way while requiring more resources, better engines, etc... If the nature of parts onto frames of various sizes becomes modular (as I believe was promised) then there should be no reason that we cannot craft silly vehicles on car sized frames:

hqdefault.jpg

Whether or not a V3S sized vehicle is realistically constructable or should even be constructable is something that I have reservations about. I think that we can have these modular vehicles ontop of the ones that randomly spawn as a way to supplement the availability of things like the V3S. While they are not meant to replace the value of a real vehicle like the V3S, they give survivors something to do which is going to create and endless amount of fun.

When it comes to aircraft, building your own plane or helicopter is not easy, but with just a little bit of knowhow it is highly doable. for example:

hqdefault.jpg

or even better, THE DREADED, TWO PERSON AUTO GYRO!!!!

IMAGE_0005.jpg

The main problem I seek to address with this concept is the issue of needing to hunt endlessly for fully spawned vehicles and then when something happens to it you are screwed and need to start the endless hunt over again. In order to play with friends and groups without hours upon hours of walking vehicles are a requirement. People so heavily favored things like epoch and overpoch to the original DayZ mod because if they had a group then they could be sure of reasonably reliable access to transportation, without which traveling from one side of the map to the other becomes to time consuming and I can say from experience that all that walking and walking and walking is quite boring.

Edited by FlimFlamm
  • Like 1

Certainly not anytime soon but at some point right?

I think the time is now to start suggesting these kinds of things so the devs will have time to consider all their options.

Couldn't youfind some more realistic examples. I mean the onle reasonable is the 3rd pic. 

Somthing like a old surplus Ural bike where you could add a sidecar and tie on one or two drybags  for storing gear and a  jerrycan would be realistic. There would even be the possibility to mout a LMG on the sidecar. And a Ural is a realy tough motorcycle.

Here is some inspiration from resident evil:

Milla-Jovovichon-BMW-motorcycle.jpg

Here is the ural bike:

Ural%20Accessories%203%20010.jpg

• Like 1

I'd love if we could salvage parts for heli crashes to maybe make some of these. Or something.

I can see it being possible, but would every survivor be capable of this? Im only thinking lore wise here, but, would EVERY single survivor have the know how to make a car? Even a small one at that? I do realize this is a video game, and these are the "ultimate" survivors, but, is it totally realistic.

Not that I dont like the idea, I do.

Im just wondering how feasible it is.

Regarding realism and feasibility:

Constructing vehicles is not something that the average person knows how to do, but if you spend a few years in a post apocalyptic zombie world it seems reasonable that you would acquire a fair bit of mechanical know-how.

What groups of survivors cannot figure out from experience they would be able to figure out at most libraries. Information on engines, vehicle mechanics, aircraft mechnics, etc, would be valuable knowledge we can only assume would survive an apocalypse in various ways.

Regarding the feasibility of actually pulling off some of these construction projects, I see no reason why there should not be an abundance of materials in a post apocalyptic world (old cars, metal, fuel, engines. Relatively small vehicles are managableand realistic for the standalone, it's the bigger vehicles that if constructable might be too much.

If I had it my way however, I would make constructable some pretty ghetto but doable projects, like old motorbikes, tractors (whose engines are god-like), and even ww1 style planes, namely the CAMEL plane which I have previous experience with from the overpoch dayz mod.

sopwith-camel-f1-1.jpg

I would really like to hear some shit from the devs regarding the direction they plan to take with vehicles.

Regarding aircraft. I am firmly of the opinion that there needs to be a basic version which players with time investment can reliably gain access to.

One of the most important reasons why the game will need aircraft is because when you have a base you require convenient transport to and from it. Without the convenience of air transport bases do not get used frequently and serve as storage sheds rather than compounds of safety. The hassle of getting there and then traveling elsewhere takes up too much time. We are already going to be spending enough time doing everything required to build and maintain bases while surviving, so the labor of traveling there should be made easy once a base is established and affluent.