Sign in to follow this  
almostcomatose

Soviet Mortar

Just because it will exist does not mean the devs should encourage them. Best to leave that stuff to the modders once the game is finished.

This actually is almost certainly for the best, I agree. I'd forgotten that once the game is done modding would be supported.

"Large scale clan combat" in this case means "multiple squads of infantry, maybe  with some LMGS and trucks for support and transport if the group is well-supplied", 

not 

"a mortar section raining death on Berezino"

Was never supposed to be the latter, more the former, but I think the best suggestion for the full game was the rpg-7, and let the modding community who want a half SA, half arma 3 create it afterwards is probably the best suggestion I've seen, because I still think a mortar would be damn intense. 

Do you, the survivor (not you the player" have a working knowledge of trigonometry? Ballistics? How much propellant at such an angle will direct the shell where you want it to go? Or how the wind 500 meters up will affect the shell?

Because this is how a mortar is actually used, at least in ARMA

For a game that you might not know where your next meal is coming from, heavy weapons such as this is extraneous at best, and in my opinion, completely unnecessary.

Yea either it uses or is as complex as ACE artillery or don't bother at all.

Nothing bigger than maybe a light mortar would work so either a m224a1 or a type 93 mortar.

That being said I doubt it would make sense in Dayz since Dayz will not be about clan battles or squads duking it out. Dayz looks primarily focused on low tech, survival.

If they were to add a mortar however the single biggest benefit would be the new crafting component due to the shells.

60mm_Chinese_Mortar_OTA-R60C_i1.jpg

Edited by gibonez