Sign in to follow this  
almostcomatose

Soviet Mortar

I might only be suggesting this because I'm rewatching Band of Brothers for the umpteenth time, but a realistic (maybe a little tonned down AoE) mortar sounds like a really cool idea to me.

Make it about as accurate as a mortar would be in real life, perhaps using winds, but more likely making it a little random. There would be no guide lines for the mortar, one would either have to eyeball the distance or have a spotter with a range finder. This would lend another dynamic to squad based, clan battles, and as ammo would be so scarce (and i mean you'd have to make it really god damn scarce) people wouldn't just spend their time firing blind into cherno/elektro.

Honestly, as I suggest it I'm not a huge fan, but i really think it would end up strictly being used be large groups. Make it 7x3 (L times W) in a backpack, meaning ammo would have to be vertical 2x1. The shots and the mortar all together would require so much space that feeding oneself would be problematic without squad support and once encumbrance and stamina is enacted, a lone wolf with a mortar would be essentially impossible - or at least extremely unlikely as it would be a really troll move.

The real issue would be item dupers and hackers, so I'd never want this added until essentially the final game's released. Honestly, I don't even know if i'd want this in the game. Not to mention it's all PvP, and the devs are trying to get away from that in general. So I'm honestly interested in your opinions, just please give reasons if you disagree, and explain why you want it if you do.

post-229328-0-87118000-1428308076_thumb.

• Like 1

On the band if brothers subject, I want build-able trenches and foxholes, that's for sure.

yeah those would be epic :D

• Like 1

But... why...

Why a mortar? Almost exclusively for large scale clan combat - not to mention being under mortar fire from some cannibal group based on Green Mountain, then coming back with a squad and fighting your way up, having to be spread out to avoid them - sounds like an amazing experience.

As for practical uses, that one sniper that is holding the top of the hill with a couple fully geared guys defending his back, killing freshie and veteran alike? goodbye sniper. Basically the typical reasons to have indirect fire weapons.

Also when hoards are in you could get someone to act as bait running round town... When you have the hoard in tow lead them to the killing ground and drop a bomb on their heads!

This is a bad idea on many levels.

• To carry a mortar you need 3 people (one for baseplate, lauch tube and bipod) and additional people for the mortarshells or a vehicle because mortar is heavy af
  • You don't aim a mortar like in Far Cry 4. This was just awfull.
  • The way real mortars work is: Someone spots the enemy, then he transmits the position of the enemy to a mortar batterie ( 3 or more mortars in a dug in position) a few km away and they start shelling the enemy. The beaten zone where the bombs come in is usually at least 50m x 50m  wide
  • You dont waste a mortar shell on  1 or 2 peope when you have the manpower to operate a mortar because you can take them out with rifles 
  • You would have to do some serious maths to calculate your shots
  • Since you can't dig gunner holesi DayZ, the element to counter mortars is lacking
  • The mortars would be heard for miles and anyone near you would come and hunt you down
  • Like 1

Do you, the survivor (not you the player" have a working knowledge of trigonometry? Ballistics? How much propellant at such an angle will direct the shell where you want it to go? Or how the wind 500 meters up will affect the shell?

Because this is how a mortar is actually used, at least in ARMA

For a game that you might not know where your next meal is coming from, heavy weapons such as this is extraneous at best, and in my opinion, completely unnecessary.

Do you, the survivor (not you the player" have a working knowledge of trigonometry? Ballistics? How much propellant at such an angle will direct the shell where you want it to go? Or how the wind 500 meters up will affect the shell?

That's precisely my point, it would be rather inaccurate as they are untrained - but look anywhere in the world with militias and any of them with just some practice can kind of use the mortar. 

"For a game that you might not know where your next meal is coming from, heavy weapons such as this is extraneous at best, and in my opinion, completely unnecessary."

unnecessary? probably, but like i said, no lone survivor would pick this up, they'd need constant support for food and water from their allies, and a roving band of bandits in the post-apocalyptic world would almost certainly grab anything with extra firepower. They might not use it well, but they would love to have something like that - even just as a way to flush out hiding survivors.

This is pretty much something that would require people to work together to use. While thats good in its own right, like stated above, there are far too many components and factors to include. Seperate parts, finding ammo, FINDING THE DAMN THING IN THE FIRST PLACE, etc etc. Some players dont have people to play with, and this would almost exclude them from using this. As far as I know, there are not many items (and no weapons) that require more than one person to use, so, im thinking most likely no.

• Like 1

but look anywhere in the world with militias and any of them with just some practice can kind of use the mortar. 

The way militas use mortars is thy fire 1 or 2 rounds in the general direction of the enemy and then get away as fast as possible because they fear counter- artillary and raids. And they  even don't have to worry about hundreds of zombies being attracted by the noise.

• To carry a mortar you need 3 people (one for baseplate, lauch tube and bipod) and additional people for the mortarshells or a vehicle because mortar is heavy af
  • The way real mortars work is: Someone spots the enemy, then he transmits the position of the enemy to a mortar batterie ( 3 or more mortars in a dug in position) a few km away and they start shelling the enemy. The beaten zone where the bombs come in is usually at least 50m x 50m  wide
  • You dont waste a mortar shell on  1 or 2 peope when you have the manpower to operate a mortar because you can take them out with rifles 
  • Since you can't dig gunner holesi DayZ, the element to counter mortars is lacking
  • The mortars would be heard for miles and anyone near you would come and hunt you down

All good points, but the 3 person thing is why i said it would likely only be carried by large bands of bandits or wasteland regulators. Never used the mortar in far cry 4, haven't played the game - I'm more thinking on what I would do in the apocalypse. I run across a mortar, some shells and some smoke shells to lay down cover for my guys movements/mark target zone. The sound would be one of the biggest counterpoints to having one of these things, and the math is a little immersion breaking, you're right.

As a side note, holy crap we totally need gunner holes - Hopefully they add that. More than a mortar (which I would never, ever, use aha) I want build-able fortifications and building customization for better urban combat.

But yeah, I suggest this because I honestly think a large group of bandits in real life would grab this thing, even without proper knowledge of how to use it. And because it would make combat between large clans a little more interesting. But in the end this is a survival game, so if they forgo mortars and add say, rain catcher construction, i'd be just as happy - I just want as many options for play as possible, including post-apocalyptic roving paramilitary squads, as I'm sure there would be in real life (cause people are just plain awful lol) 

Edited by almostcomatose

But it sounds like you just gave the pros and cons. It's heavy, loud, ammunition would be limited and it'd be extremely difficult to use. However, clans could find them immensely useful as a means of forcing opponents out of cover and shelling an area (like a city or a military base) in advance. That'd be cool. There are enough tradeoffs to make it at least somewhat balanced.

I see no problem with mortars. In fact I think they'd add an interesting twist to large-scale combat.

The way militas use mortars is thy fire 1 or 2 rounds in the general direction of the enemy and then get away as fast as possible because they fear counter- artillary and raids. And they  even don't have to worry about hundreds of zombies being attracted by the noise.

Again, good point!

And I could see that being the way many people use it in the game - flush paramilitary police/bandits out, or lay down smoke to block their view, and then scoot the hell out.

And sorry, I don't actually disagree with you - I'm just playing devil's advocate for the sake for a good detailed dicussion.

All good points, but the 3 person thing is why i said it would likely only be carried by large bands of bandits or wasteland regulators. Never used the mortar in far cry 4, haven't played the game - I'm more thinking on what I would do in the apocalypse. I run across a mortar, some shells and some smoke shells to lay down cover for my guys movements/mark target zone. The sound would be one of the biggest counterpoints to having one of these things, and the math is a little immersion breaking, you're right.

As a side note, holy crap we totally need gunner holes - Hopefully they add that. More than a mortar (which I would never, ever, use aha) I want build-able fortifications and building customization for better urban combat.

But yeah, I suggest this because I honestly think a large group of bandits in real life would grab this thing, even without proper knowledge of how to use it. And because it would make combat between large clans a little more interesting. But in the end this is a survival game, so if they forgo mortars and add say, rain catcher construction, i'd be just as happy - I just want as many options for play as possible, including post-apocalyptic roving paramilitary squads, as I'm sure there would be in real life (cause people are just plain awful lol) 

A mortar is just not usefull in dayz and the white background is hurting my eyes

Edited by HomerJay27
  • Like 1

This is pretty much something that would require people to work together to use. While thats good in its own right, like stated above, there are far too many components and factors to include. Seperate parts, finding ammo, FINDING THE DAMN THING IN THE FIRST PLACE, etc etc. Some players dont have people to play with, and this would almost exclude them from using this. As far as I know, there are not many items (and no weapons) that require more than one person to use, so, im thinking most likely no.

It promotes teamwork and a lonewolf would never be able to or want to use this thing - it's not worth using against freshies or lones anyways due to the incredibly complicated and resource heavy nature of the weapon. It would most likely sit in a persistent tent until one large group ran into an entrenched large group and would promote the rousting out of fortified clans taking over airfields/ villiages etc...

Again, good point!

And I could see that being the way many people use it in the game - flush paramilitary police/bandits out, or lay down smoke to block their view, and then scoot the hell out.

And sorry, I don't actually disagree with you - I'm just playing devil's advocate for the sake for a good detailed dicussion.

I forgott to mention this:

Because they can't aim properly milítas only attac large camps. because thats the only way they have a chance to hit someone. 

in dayz, even if you attac a city or militay camp  there wont be more than 10 people.

Edited by HomerJay27

I forgott to mention this:

Because they can't aim properly hy only attac large camps. because thats the only way they have a chance to hit someone. 

in dayz, even if you attac a city or militay camp  there wont be more than 10 people.

Right, but against massive server dominating bases this would be exactly what you need. A lot of servers in Arma 2 mod (actually I'm thinking of just one, but friends have told be they've had similar experiences) have bases that simply control loot points, creating a huge disparity. Having all the military bases controlled by one clan can be fun for trying to sneak in, but can also mean your favorite server is now essentially policed by one group and you'll always be at a disadvantage. So, find a mortar/dynamite etc... and flush the bastards out/breach a hole in their wall. Balance achieved. maybe. probably not, but you can see my point.

Edited by almostcomatose

Something way more usefull than a mortar would be a RPG-7, aka the poor mans artillary by insurgents and militas around the world. Here are some advantages over the mortar:

G__1335_RPG7_720.jpg

• The weapon and ammo can be carried by one person
  • It is accurate up to 1100m and would be more accurat than any mortar 
  • it would still promote teams, since you would need a squad protecting the RPG guy who can't carry a rifle
  • it is easy to opperate
  • it can take out groups of players

Of course it would have to be rare and the granades would have to take up at least 6 slots, but it would be more realistic  and praktical than a mortar

Anyone who plays Insurgeny knows what I mean

Edited by HomerJay27
  • Like 1

Something way more usefull than a mortar would be a RPG-7, aka the poor mans artillary by insurgents and militas around the world. Here are some advantages over the mortar:

• The weapon and ammo can be carried by one person
  • It is accurate up to 1100m and would be more accurat than any mortar 
  • it would still promote teams, since you would need a squad protecting the RPG guy who can't carry a rifle
  • it is easy to opperate
  • it can take out groups of players

Of course it would have to be rare and the granades would have to take up at least 6 slots, but it would be more realistic  and praktical than a mortar

Anyone who plays Insurgeny knows what I mean

I like this idea a lot, but kinda want both. Still though this in lieu of the mortar would be fantastic. Only reason i didn't suggest it is because I'm certain that the devs are already planning to add it, or have at least heavily considered it.

Edited by almostcomatose

Why a mortar? Almost exclusively for large scale clan combat - not to mention being under mortar fire from some cannibal group based on Green Mountain, then coming back with a squad and fighting your way up, having to be spread out to avoid them - sounds like an amazing experience.

As for practical uses, that one sniper that is holding the top of the hill with a couple fully geared guys defending his back, killing freshie and veteran alike? goodbye sniper. Basically the typical reasons to have indirect fire weapons.

Wrong game for that. 

• Like 2

Wrong game for that. 

You're probably right, but there is always going to be large scale clan combat - even once the devs finish their vision of the game, may as well keep it interesting.

I'm not exactly invested though, as I always play a lonewolf or work in a very small survivor group

You're probably right, but there is always going to be large scale clan combat - even once the devs finish their vision of the game, may as well keep it interesting.

I'm not exactly invested though, as I always play a lonewolf or work in a very small survivor group

Just because it will exist does not mean the devs should encourage them. Best to leave that stuff to the modders once the game is finished.

• Like 1

"Large scale clan combat" in this case means "multiple squads of infantry, maybe  with some LMGS and trucks for support and transport if the group is well-supplied", 

not 

"a mortar section raining death on Berezino"

• Like 1