almostcomatose

Truck traps, and how to keep intense locomotive ambushes alive

I really love the truck traps, the bug created by placing fireplaces along a road. They're intense and interesting and add a really cool dynamic, but of course there can't always be buggy fireplaces.

To fix this, i have a small suggestion for what would have to be very rare, or one time use loot.

While I'm sure tank traps are scheduled to be added, they're bulky and obvious and will most likely be very avoidable. Vehicle mines and tank traps will also cause massive damage to the vehicle bandits intend to capture, and so something smaller and less noticeable might be useful to keep this trend alive.

What I'm suggesting, without any further ado, is a spike strip. Found perhaps at police stations or more rarely military bases, it is able to be rolled up, making it less bulky than a tank trap to carry for lighter equipped bandits with ambition. It's also low profile, making people more likely to fall into the trap. Pop all the tires, vehicle spins out of control and now bandits are able to close in or snipe while the driver/occupants must fight for their lives.

If vehicles - especially large ones - have inventory space to carry spare tires this will simply be a temporary hindrance that forces an engagement. Though, as previously stated, the frequency of these spawning would have to be rather rare, so they aren't on every single road set by griefers.

Anyone else like this? I may be of a minority of the community who thinks these ambushes are awesome and want to see the likes of them continues so I'm not sure everyone will like the idea, but i'd love to hear people's thoughts. I simply think it's rather realistic as if i wanted to ambush a moving vehicle in the apocalypse this is precisely how i'd do it, as it beats a mine destroying everything or a great big covered ditch getting the truck stuck forever.

Other trap ideas, along these lines, would be:

Tank traps (almost certainly already considered by the devs)

Tank ditches (probably too much of a fuss to add in and a hassle to program, so not high on my list)

Pungee traps (not about vehicles, but about hindering movement and ambushing groups, so same chain of thought)

Tree-Net traps (Return of the Jedi style, for animals and humans, again, about ambushing along frequently used paths/ high traffic areas)

Traps like this might not fix KoS mentality, but they certainly make it more interesting and a story that you actually enjoy being a part of/ telling to your friends, and therefore hopefully less irritating.

• Like 4

It woul be cool if you could craft a spike strip yourselfe out of barbed wire.

But since cars take damage in 0.55 (the font tires burst when you crash into something) and  it is a pain how slow a V3S drives with no fron tires it wouldn't be of much use to destroy all tires if you want the car. You would need equipment to repair the truck afterwards and you would need lots of stuff to repair it.

It would be simpler to catch your breath an simply shoot the driver than all these fancy traps.

Edited by HomerJay27

I like your barbed wire idea - i hadn't thought of that. I also see your point, and i think my following answer covers that - though my suggestions are based on luck and over-preparation so you still have a good point.

If vehicles have inventory, people will store extra tires which will be usable to repair said captured truck - plus if you have a tent you can create a small temporary ambush camp and store extra tires there. Not everyone is that good a shot either, so this allows even mediocre bandits to at least make an attempt to ambush the truck - and keep their position secret and ammo full for the following Pvp.

Not to mention, people like me don't want trucks - they're loud, attract attention, and are highly desired by most people making you a massive target, so the capture of the truck isn't the point of the ambush - the death of the driver/passengers, their loot and loot stores within (once there's inventory in vehicles) will be the incentive.

It simply adds more possibilities, and keeps what i think is a great accidental dynamic of the game alive.

Edited by almostcomatose