HomerJay27

Some realistic ideas for craftable Items not suggested before

I am preparing this post for 3 days now looking if anything is mentioned already and refining my ideas, so please read it carefully. I know it is long, but it consitst mainly of images but nevertheless please read the image descripions.

If you don't read it carefully, please don't even reply!

And I know that some of these would require changes to the current inventory system.

It is a common wish here on the forums to make your gear a mix of crafted/improvised and military gear to make for a cool and unique looking survivor. Something from Postman or Mad Max. (Full leather or full military outfit looks rather silly)

Here are my suggestions and im pretty sure they weren't mentioned before.

Of course all the leather itmems would have to look more crude than in these pictures and for all the stuff I mention here some pre-apocalyptic gear equivalents laying around in chernarus would be nice too, but not for all. It should force players to go hunting and crafting to get some of the cool stuff:

Gun attachements:
Butt Stock Leather Ammo Carriers  which would fit on most rifles (one slot on the rilfe for emergency ammo if all your stuff gets ruined or ghillies who need all the storage space they can get). The focus here is on the butt stock, butt these is are some sweet looking SKS rifles.
Brass-Stacker-Rick-Lowe-SKS-Buttstock-Am

Rifle sling to alow you to carry a rifle on your back (different options: duct tape, rope, burlap, leather, rags) same for primary melee weapon; the sword is an exception. I'm NOT sure if this is too much realism for the comunity . Another solution would be if rifles randomly spawn with a sling.
Straight%20sling2.jpg

And a sling to carry a smg infront of your chest instead of a vest. This would be more realistc and cooler looking than carrying your backup MP5 in a high-cap vest.
9081_0.jpg

Backpacks:
Yukon pack, larger than the improvised backpack and for some variety (crafted out of Tarp or burlap, rope and duct tape).
yukon-pack-lashing.jpg

Sheaths and holsters:
There should be multiple ways to attach these to the character for greater individualization.

Universal Leather pistol holster 
leather-holster-ad-nd-2.jpg

Leather and duct tape sheaths
(Idea: carry gear visible on the outside; platecarrier holster was a good start)
For knifes, machete, field shovel, hatchet and don't forget the sword; attacheble to your belt(Scout style carry for hidden knive), backpack, vest or like the chestholster. Remember: you need these tools for survival.
Carrying them in Packpack without sheath shoud ruin the backpack
01.jpgrujy6aba.jpg

US-WWI-AXE-SHEATH-LEATHER-MARKED-G-K-191Jeff001.jpg

Clothing:
Reinforce clothing on knees elbows and shoulders with leather to protect you and make the clothing more durale. If you gear up with the best clothing, you wouldn't look as military, but more like survivor who has been out in the wildernes for quiet a while. I know that there is no leather in this picture, but imagine the black parts are leather.
81761-633_1024x1024.jpg?v=1377020408

Leather Gaiters/shin protection ( additional protection from bear traps, broken legs, pants/shoes getting ruind and wet)
il_570xN.429730283_red4.jpg

Cooking:
Cooking tripod/ pot hanger shloud be craftable.

Improvised pot out of tin foil

Cooking meat on a flat stone or on a sharpened stick
Edited by HomerJay27
  • Like 20

I am preparing this post for 3 days now looking if anything is mentioned already and refining my ideas,

-

Sling to alow you to carry a rifle on your back attacheble to your belt

Liar ;D

I like these ideas, especially the notion of reinforcing clothing with leather and other materials.

More crafting, and making crafting more important, is a must. At the moment the vast majority of crafting is simply too difficult since they require uncommon materials. By the time you've gathered those materials you've most likely found something better than what said materials would allow you to craft.

As such, crafting is of little importance to both geared and ungeared players. More options for freshspawns to make simple backpacks and weapons, and the ability to reinforce clothing and craft utility items once players have enough food and such to keep them going would be stellar.

Sheaths and slings I'm not too fond of, unless they serve as a means to store items externally. Players should be able to carry a weapon on their back regardless. Of course if a sling could be crafted very easily (you mentioned rags) then I'd have no problem with it - though a simple sling should perhaps incur a weight or stamina penalty while a proper gun sling would not.

And yes, cooking should be far more accessible. I've never been able to cook anything because I simply can't find the 300-or-so components required to cook a steak (if I can even find an animal to kill and have the means to do so). Having a proper setup should confer an advantage, like better cooked food, but cooking food via simple means should certainly be an option.

• Like 3

Liar ;D

This formulation was a bit over the top, but I really waited 3 days and took some notes here and there thomake sure this will be a solid post

i think you defined pretty much what i think!!! nicely showned

thx;)

Spears

Slings:

Bolas:

All are weapons that are easily made with few tools and little materials. The spear and bolas are easy to use, and while the sling is definitely harder, it is easier to make the sling itself and easier to find ammunition for than a bow, and a sling is just as "powerful" as a bow

Spears

yeah spears are a must fur hunting. I' actually wearing a paracord barcelt from paracordist right now ;)

Alot of very good ideas, I especially like the Yukon backpack to draw onto them a bit more here's my take on some of them.

Butts stock ammo carriers

There should ideally be three types with some variations with each, Repeater, Rifle and Shotgun with the Rifle and Shotgun having at least one variation. Repeater would be exclusive for the Repeater Carbine while Rifle would be universal for rifle type guns while shotgun is universal for shotgun type guns. Rifle ammo carriers would exist in a pouch and loops while shotgun exists in loops and side saddle (more explained below).

The Stock mounted ammo pouch you posted should hold roughly two slots of ammo of your chosen gun, so if I had an SKS I should be able to carry at least one stripper clip (for fast reloads) and a box of 7,62x39mm or two if I really wanted. This would be the Rifle Ammo Pouch and be universal for most rifle grip styled firearms.

ff6e47818db9b67d980369e273268725.jpg

The variation for rifle ammo carriers would be the looped ammo carrier for rifle butt stocks and hold anywhere from 5 to 7 loose rounds of your chosen ammo type . This would also be available for the Repeater as it's own attachment, holding half the magazine of the the Repeater at 7 rounds. Rather than allow for ammo storage, this attachment would function much like a speedloader, allowing you to reload rounds without entering the inventory BUT you have to "reload" the attachment with fresh bullets before it can be used again.

Shotgun ammo carriers would exist as a looped buttstock ammo carriers and side saddle shell holders. Like above the looped shell carrier doubles as a speed loader but only holds upto 4-6 shotgun shells at a time. It would also only be attachable for the IZH-43 and MP-133 standard. The Side Saddle can be mounted ONLY on pump action (and in the future semi-automatic) shotguns, mounted on the receiver. Again this would allow speedloading like before and only hold a limited number of rounds.

survival-shotgun-side-saddle.jpg

robschcover1.jpg

Slings

While I like realism I think for balance reasons I'd prefer being able to carry at least one longarm on my back regardless of whether it had a sling or not. Carrying a second longarm WITH a sling should incur a heavy penalty, such as reduced run speed, higher fatigue, increased thirst/hunger rates (which would incur when carrying more gear). I also think that while rags would work short term, Rope and more dedicated slings should be found. In addition to the ammo carrier idea, certain slings could double up as your ammo carrier, as there exists Shotgun and Rifle type "Bandolier" type slings available.

m76Jehzbzmy0HxnecnPew9A.jpg

Backpack

Backpacks overall should be able to made out of almost anything, even spare clothes. There exists a way a person can create a small backpack using nothing but a T-Shirt and some Jeans for example. Your "Yukon" style backpack to me seems like a more suitable if not a somewhat bulky backpack which could store alot of items but be problematic due to bright colours (depending on what color tarps they add in).

Holsters and Sheaths

One thing I think that Holsters and Sheaths should be applicable to is much like Arm bands. Allow them to be placed on an arm or leg (arm for knives, leg for Handguns and Machetes/Hatchets) or just on the lower back/waistline (scout style like you said). Handgun holsters could exist on the leg in leather or synthetic materials. A drop leg holster for pistols could be a popular military spawn.

1083.jpeg

Reinforced Clothing

Again another good idea, I like being able to patch together current clothes with leather inserts to provide an added layer of protection you could even add a piece of scrap metal as a form of improvised ballistic protection (although it's protection against anything more than a pistol round would be negligible). Additionally certain other materials such as animal pelts and synthetic materials could be used to "buff" an existing item to become more resilient to weather effects such as warmth or waterproofing.

Cooking

Couldn't agree more, dozens of times I've tried to find a Frying Pan or a Cooking pot to cook my 8 beefsteaks or 4 or so Venison steaks to no avail and yet I should be able to make an improvised cooking implement to help cook my meat. Sharpened sticks is one idea, you can only cook one item at a time with them and you may need more than one. It could even lend itself as a cooking recipe for a future food item, a Shishkebab for example where you can added green peppers and other vegetables to the mix to create a more powerful and fulfilling meal.

Edited by Draco122
  • Like 2

I absolutely love all these options, to those who take the time to craft and hunt, should go rewards like increased space for storage. I'd also like to see ghilli attachable to backpacks, and netting, rags etc... attachable to guns for personalization and camouflage. Was considering making a post for it, but wasn't sure if it was necessary or wanted.

Unfortunately, I can tell you that about 90% of this list has been suggested before :/  Still a very good list!!  

I am actually currently wearing full Natural Leather Gear with a Brown Cowboy Hat and Complete Plate Carrier on the private shard I play in.  Would rock the Natural Leather Vest, but...c'mon!  Plate Carrier!  I particularly like the shin guards idea.  Perhaps have some chaps, too, that would get "attached" to pants without hip pockets?  Like jeans or practically anything that isn't military or cargo pants.

Extra inventory is absolutely needed with the natural leather gear.  The pack (which I'm also using) isn't that bad, since it has a row more than the improved improvised backpack, but they are hurting in other areas.  Maybe have them as tiered?  What I mean by that is to have them so that you make the base item, like the pants that have two inventory slots.  You could then add more leather to make chaps or shin guards for added protection, and then maybe sew on a pocket or two?  A couple more squares would be nice, maybe horizontal like the rider's jacket?  Maybe make some niche stuff like a forearm guard for a bow, or a quiver for arrows?  Being able attach stuff like knives and stuff to your leather gear would make it a lot more viable.

Using oils to darken leather gear would be a nice addition, too...  That stuff is pretty friggin' bright!

I do think the Yukon pack would be awesome, especially if/when they add in the ability to take tarp and make tents like the ones in FOBs and randomly in the woods...

Here is an old screenie...

post-192218-0-16725900-1428359955_thumb.

Edited by Haven923
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, I can tell you that about 90% of this list has been suggested before :/  Still a very good list!!  

Well at least I brought something new to the discussion :)

• Like 1

I would like to add my suggestion for a crafting idea, one which I feel is required.  I think survivors should be able to craft a tent, possibly from the hide of animals.  In the .55 update small tents seemed plentiful, but now that the loot has changed once again I am finding it impossible to find a tent again (the one I carried over from before the last loot changed dissappeared along with all my food and ammo.  I need a place to call home.  I think along with the ability to craft a tent/shelter(small) we should be able to hide it by using tree branches and such, much like a ghillie suit.

This would be one of the first things I would do in real life as a survivor- given the rarity and unstableness of tents as they are in game.

Reinforcing clothing is an excellent suggestion.

I'm also in love with the leather ammo carrier.  Being able to store a bit of ammo in a slot attached to your rifle would be heaven.

Great ideas in here! Not sure if mine is so great but with persistence soon to be fixed and base building to become a real option could we be allowed to craft a Bivouac Shelter, maybe give reduced capacity compared to even a tent but if you had a hunting knife, hacksaw and an axe you should be able to make one, I managed to do so successfully at the age of 10 in cub scouts (just remembered now, hence the post!) and I think this would be a good addition to the games crafting list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bivouac_shelter

hay,

i think i were cool to craft the nettings on a backpack with rope, so you can put in a pet bottle or a canteen.

I like the example of the leather holster for a handgun you posted is showing an accidental discharge.

I like these ideas.

The larger improvsied backpack, Clothing renforcement and SKS attachments are my favs.

Hello Everyone! Killroy Here! 

My wife and I have been playing Dayz now for almost a month now and I have to say... I LOVE THE GAME!!! I had been looking for a survival game for some time that I could enjoy and had the elements of PvP in it that makes a game great! This game has encompassed almost all of those needs! I am amazed of the amount of time and effort put into the smallest details that most traditional games either ignore. The sheer beauty of Dayz mixed with its constant anxiety of zombies or humans lurking in the shadows is exactly what I have been waiting for. So, now that the obvious is out of the way. I wanted to make a few suggestions that I would love to see implemented in the game. As the above posts have in fact highlighted this topic some. I would like to expand on this some more. So lets get into it: 

Cooking in Dayz Overview:

So cooking in Dayz is done fantastically. Unlike other iterations of cooking in similar games like Bethesda's Fallout 76. This game provides a unique feeling of "community" when building a fire sitting next to each other and just cooking on a long stick. I love it because it is actually calming in the chaos that is the world of Dayz. While still having that looming paranoia that someone is watching you and waiting. That said, the one thing I feel is lacking in this department is well options. Most every other "craft" so to speak in this game has multiple variants or "recipes" however cooking seems to have been left out. However, I think with all the amazing aspects already in the game. Cooking should definitely have a spot that is both enjoyable, challenging, and rewarding. 

Cooking Recipes and Buff suggestions:

The biggest problem I would see the Dev's running into is outside of providing more "food and water" than usual food options. What would be the benefit of crafting a more "complex" meal? My answer to that question would be simply buffs. To do this food would have to be broken down into basic tiers or levels of potency.

1. Level 1 = Basic Meal (these could include all non-cooked vegetables, fruits, raw meats, etc.) these would provide the least amount of "food / water" regeneration but would be more available / common but also put eater at risk of getting sick. 
  2. Level 2 = Prepared Meals (This would include all cooked meats, vegetables, fruits, canned goods, etc.) these would provide a moderate amount of "food/water" regeneration and have no risk of getting eater sick. 
  3. Level 3 = Hearty Meals (This would include combinations of meats, vegetables, fruits, rice, fish, etc.) These would provide the highest amount of "food/water" regeneration, have no risk of getting eater sick, and provide special bonuses to those who eat them. 

So Hearty meals would essentially be the new thing added to the game since level 1 and 2 pretty much already exist. Hearty Meals would take time to prepare, would be slightly more difficult to cook potentially, and take the longest to consume, and provide buffs to characters. Hearty meals would take 4 components to make. NOTE: Only one buff may be active at a time. 

Hearty Meal Recipes & Buffs:

Here are a list of some recipes ideas: 

• Chicken Soup: (1 chicken bones + 1 Chicken steak + Water + Rice) eating this meal gives the player disease resistance / reduced water consumption while sprinting for 30 minutes. 
  • Fried Fruit: (+1 Animal Fat + 2 of any fruit + 1 Powder Milk) eating this high sugar meal gives the player increased blood rejuvenation for 30 minutes. 
  • Stew: (+2 Animal Steak [Chicken/Deer/Pork] + 1 of any vegetable + Water) eating this high protein meal reduces stamina usage for 30 minutes. 
  • Steak Dinner: (+ 1 Beef Steak + 1 Vegetable + 1 potato + 1 animal fat) increased cold resistance / reduced food consumption while sprinting for 30 minutes. 

New food storage item: Tupperware container

Cooking these delicacies would not be worth it if you could not store them in your pack. Enter the Tupperware! These would be loot you could find in the world that would take up the same space as a canteen and would allow you to store food. They would need to be placed in backpacks similar to cooked steaks to prevent overheating however, they would allow for mobile use. 

Conclusion:

With proper in game balancing and economy changes, I believe this idea would provide a new avenue for players to use. Both one that would provide challenges as well as rewards. Hunting, preparing, and cooking the food to provide very interesting perks and rewards for the challenge of their crafting. Let me know what you all think! 

Edited by Killroywuzhere0311

13 hours ago, discipled said:

Can we bring back the Bow and Arrows please... why were they even removed???

since day z came to console the developers started using a new engine and this is why a lot of things have been removed because they need tweaking and re worked. the bows will come its just a matter of when, if you notice they have added the sporter .22 which was in the old game on the original engine, overall we just have to be patient and wait for the small dev team to put all the original content back into the new engine and get it to work properly.

I've played since 2014 and stopped because life but started again because if quarantine and finding out there's more things added but lots of things removed.

• Beans 1

Honestly, if you can't see something crossing over into Arma 4 (whenever that might be) then it probably isn't something that the company is interested in working on.  This pretty much includes anything exclusively survival related or crafted.  For example, they're not going to include bows, crossbows, or leather gear in Arma 4.  I posit that such things won't be added to DayZ.  

Long live thread necromancy.

16 hours ago, Parazight said:

Honestly, if you can't see something crossing over into Arma 4 (whenever that might be) then it probably isn't something that the company is interested in working on.  This pretty much includes anything exclusively survival related or crafted.  For example, they're not going to include bows, crossbows, or leather gear in Arma 4.  I posit that such things won't be added to DayZ.  

Long live thread necromancy.

Actually I think the DayZ team (by all accounts a tiny crew at this point) are working on DayZ features while the larger Enfusion crew are working on what might be the embryo of Arma4. I mean if this as yet unannounced full Enfusion title is not Arma4 I'd be very surprised, but since nothing is announced yet you never know.

Anyway the crafted leather items are already in the game files but since you still can't tan pelts into leather they can't be crafted, unless you use a mod to add a way to tan leather and unlock the crafting. Also the bow & arrow is on its way,  I'm fairly sure it'll be in before the end of the year. They're nibbling away on the backlog, slowly but surely. As far as I know the only thing from old plans that is (more or less) officially scrapped is flying vehicles - which would be more than relevant for Arma4. I also doubt we will ever see ragdoll physics in DayZ, unless it can be inherited from whatever the Enfusion team are working on. (This is sad, one of the most distracting bugs the game has is bodies falling halfway into walls or hovering in thin air because part of the corpse happens to touch a tiny ledge, rail or windowsill. Imho this should be a priority to fix, not accepted as unavoidable. It looks cheap and unprofessional.)

Also interesting that many of the old suggestions in this thread have been implemented or are available in mods. Sadly not a lot of patches/reinforcements for clothes yet, I'd like it if clothes would actually look patched and worn when you repair them, instead of reverting to pristine textures. There's kneepad jeans in some mod, and a few ponchos, hoods etc, but sadly modded gear is dominated by military stuff which is really not needed.

Edited by Derleth
  • Like 1