Sign in to follow this  
Red_Ensign

berry and apple picking

having to forage for food is good for the game, but the current way of getting apples and berries is tiresome as hell.  in real life when you're picking berries, it's not a slot machine with an arm you keep pulling to see if food will be dispensed.  you walk up to the tree and it VISIBLY either has fruit or it doesn't.

what I propose is you click on a berry bush or apple tree ONCE and it gives you either x (randomized) amount of fruit or nothing, and produces nothing on subsequent tries until server reset.  then you walk away and try another bush or apple tree.  not sure what programming or server load that would entail, but I think that would satisfy the needs of both realism and non-tiresome gameplay perfectly.

Edited by Red_Ensign
  • Like 1

Yup, been suggested many times.

I would like to see more of a balance with this mechanic myself but it should take 5 or more "in game minutes" to gather fruit.

We should be exposed while we pick (or when accessing a backpack IMO), like the drinking animation leaves you exposed.

having to forage for food is good for the game, but the current way of getting apples and berries is tiresome as hell.  in real life when you're picking berries, it's not a slot machine with an arm you keep pulling to see if food will be dispensed.  you walk up to the tree and it VISIBLY either has fruit or it doesn't.

what I propose is you click on a berry bush or apple tree ONCE and it gives you either x (randomized) amount of fruit or nothing, and produces nothing on subsequent tries until server reset.  then you walk away and try another bush or apple tree.  not sure what programming or server load that would entail, but I think that would satisfy the needs of both realism and non-tiresome gameplay perfectly.

Agreed. I think it would be good if there were some visual indicator similar to the other grown vegetables. I think it would also be appropriate (considering the intent is for a reliable source of food) if they replenished themselves in the same way vegetables grow: After a certain amount of time, they regrow.

I think one of the reasons it doesn't work this way is because it can effect the server if it's constantly checking growing times and whatnot. It seems like this could be one of those rare instances where the mechanic could be handled client-side considering the effects from exploiting/hacking this mechanic would be minimal.