Sign in to follow this  
Draco122

Make Coasts more viable for survival!

So as it stands we all know that the Coast is a relatively dangerous hotspot, we all spawn there (usually), virtually devoid of anything useful right off the bat apart from stones.

So I got to thinking, surely there could be ways we could make coasts better for Survival. Coasts are natural treasure troves for junk and coastal wildlife. Your bound to find something that has washed up ashore. Here's some ideas to make coasts more appealing for a would be survivor.

1. Shellfish - Things like Mussels, Limpets, Razorclams and Cockles can all be found on the coast, Mussels and Cockles can be found attached to seaweed, limpets can be found attached to rocks (which need a bladed weapon to remove, such as an improvised knife) and Razorclams can be dug up from the sand. While they still need to be cooked to be considered safe to eat, they are none the less a still viable and renewable food source.
  2. Crabs - Found in Rock pools, small crabs can be collected and eaten when cooked.
  3. Seaweed - Can be found randomly on the coast, Seaweed can be used as an improvised fertilizer.
  4. Driftwood - Large sections of driftwood could be found on the coast, used in a similar manner to firewood.
  5. Junk Piles - A player can find junk piles which they can search, they often leave damaged or badly damaged items that a player can forage for, beware the chance of injury is possible (such as cutting yourself on a piece of glass)
  • Like 1

So as it stands we all know that the Coast is a relatively dangerous hotspot, we all spawn there (usually), virtually devoid of anything useful right off the bat apart from stones.

So I got to thinking, surely there could be ways we could make coasts better for Survival. Coasts are natural treasure troves for junk and coastal wildlife. Your bound to find something that has washed up ashore. Here's some ideas to make coasts more appealing for a would be survivor.

1. Shellfish - Things like Mussels, Limpets, Razorclams and Cockles can all be found on the coast, Mussels and Cockles can be found attached to seaweed, limpets can be found attached to rocks (which need a bladed weapon to remove, such as an improvised knife) and Razorclams can be dug up from the sand. While they still need to be cooked to be considered safe to eat, they are none the less a still viable and renewable food source.
  2. Crabs - Found in Rock pools, small crabs can be collected and eaten when cooked.
  3. Seaweed - Can be found randomly on the coast, Seaweed can be used as an improvised fertilizer.
  4. Driftwood - Large sections of driftwood could be found on the coast, used in a similar manner to firewood.
  5. Junk Piles - A player can find junk piles which they can search, they often leave damaged or badly damaged items that a player can forage for, beware the chance of injury is possible (such as cutting yourself on a piece of glass)

1) It depends. A large majority of saltwater shellfish are safe to eat raw, so long as the area isn't polluted (which there being numerous factories RIGHT NEXT to the coast, I highly doubt) and you only eat ones that get covered with water at high tide.

2) Crabs, at least the sizes you can find on a shoreline, are not worth the energy to capture and cook.

3) Seaweed is a much more viable food source from the ocean. Most, along the lines of 99%, of the seaweed you find washed up on the beach in temperate environments are safe to eat, and when properly prepared, actually rather tasty. However, they contain a LOT of salt, so be prepared to be drinking a LOT of water.

4) Agree

5) I would rather see parts of that "junk" be useful: garbage bags being used for rain barrels, plastic bottles being used for containers, shards of glass being used for knives. As any oceangoer can tell you, there is very few areas on the globe that human garbage can't be found.

However, to prompt players to move off the coast (which is what I believe the Devs intend), these resources should be finite, instead of infinite like apple trees or berry bushes. If you pick a section of beach clean of seaweed, that's it, at least until server restart.

I also would like to see some sort of salt-making process. Salt is very important for survival, and could serve as a valuable trade good (salt can be used to preserve food, and to treat animal hides, and as a medical disinfectant) Take a pot of seawater and let it boil away. With some luck, you will be left with seasalt in the pot.

Resources should definitely be finite, but I like the idea of being able to return to the coast after traveling inland and using it for resources. Hell, this could be amplified if they were to add more islands off the coast, only reachable by ship, as you could do some off shore fishing and whatnot.