Sign in to follow this  
8bit_Survivor

Impact of 3rd Party Comms (TS3, VENT, etc.)

I think it's a noble idea, however I feel ts3 can be compared to some of those secret service ear bud things, yeah you would still be able to hear them "in game" but not as bad if they were using radios or voice comms and yelling at somebody running down the road. My .02

3rd party comms are an issue for realism, it gives groups of players such as clans an unfair advantage since it's much harder to engage a large group when dead players can speak from the grave and guide your enemies onto your position, however I think it's something that would be extremely hard to fix.

As for identifying players using third party comms: it's everyone in a group, or at least very close to 100%.

Edited by TheScruffyBandit
  • Like 1

Mirroring all mic communication would work.

At least for 99 percent of people.

If you speak the mic picks it up and talks in game thus the advantage is mitigated.

This is so easy to work around it's ridiculous. Are you going to monitor ALL of the various mics hooked to my computer? I have a Webcam with mic, stand alone mic, and headset with mic. I could easily mute my headset mic manually if that is the one you are listening to and that doesn't stop me from using my cellphone/tablet/laptop with an earbud that has a built in mic. If I chose my ingame mic I can even set up a non-functional mic in Windows that I can route it to so it can't listen in. 

I agree it is SO much better using only ingame communication from playing ARMA... but it's impossible to prevent it. 

This has been debated to death. The Devs said they were unable and unwilling to do something about 3th party coms. I personally just pretend they are Baofengs with earplugs.

BAOFENG_UV_5RE_P_5170cc3e21476.jpg

Something like these.

Yeah, I mean third-party comms are one of the most detrimental aspects facing DayZ right now. Unfortunately, not a lot that can/will be done about it. People, the developers included, seem too accustomed to it to care about, or even see, the detriments.

I've highlighted these specifically in the past, seems to be a dead issue at this point. Which is a shame.

• Like 1

Nothing can, will, or should be done about third party voice communications. I am one of those players that roam around in 5+ man squads, looking for other squads to take out. This is because the clumsy and tactical nature of Dayz is entertaining. Having to rely on ingame voice communication would make it impossible to be coordinated, not to mention actually locate each other in game.

Not everyone plays this game to get fully immersed. I have logged too many hours to care about that anymore.

Edited by anderswhk
  • Like 1

maybe i haven't logged enough hours but in terms of immersion i can tell you this in relation to 3rd party comm.

playing with my buddy earlier today at work on my laptop, him sitting next to me on his, we are wandering around in the rain looking for an sks to go with the 7.62x39 rounds i have or some .357 ammo for my repeater that is nearly out, when the rain comes in and soaks us, his char was all ready cold and damp (always raining it seems but wtf) so we decide we need to stop and warm up. we find a shed and start a fire, we get the fireplace going and i go out to find a tree to chop down to get some firewood. i check the door and run to the nearby woods. i pull out my splitting axe and just as i'm about to make contact with the tree "BAM!" gunshot rings out!! i nearly shit myself. we'd spent roughly 3 hours total trying to find each other from one spawn to the other on opposite sides of the map, and now i'm about to get sniped and end up having to find him all over again!!! i ask him "what the fuck was that? someone is out here shooting at me!"..... he tells me it was him, he was just making sure the gun was shouldered and ready to fire but his game was lagging so it didnt look like it was there.

long story longer.

3rd party doesn't really ruin immersion for everyone. i see the point that, yes, we aren't talking in game so we can strategize without anyone hearing us and that's an unfair advantage. but to say that it ruins immersion is all on how you look at it.

Honestly if you want to try your hand at Dayz where people will talk in game play on an RP server, it might be too much immersion for some but it sounds like that is what some players want and servers are providing that atmosphere.

Edited by Volcanogod
  • Like 1