Sign in to follow this  
8bit_Survivor

Impact of 3rd Party Comms (TS3, VENT, etc.)

Starting this topic to discuss the impact 3rd party comms such as TS3 have in Day Z. I would like if we could focus the discussion into the following key areas of concern: Atmosphere, Player Interactions (PvP/Social) and Game Mechanics.

Atmosphere - How does this affect the overall feel of DayZ?

- Hearing the muffled or distant voices of players interacting (using in-game comms) within the world would be the biggest atmospheric impact. Hearing these interactions adds to the ambience of cities.

Player Interactions (PVP/Social) - How does this affect how players interact within the game itself?

- Hearing the muffled or distant voices of other players interacting (using in-game comms) is also used as a vital tool to keep you safe within the world of Day Z. Or allow you to bandit more effectively.

- Players can share information freely without being heard by nearby players and giving away their position. This clearly gives an advantage over players using the in-game comms.

- Allows large groups to be spread throughout a city while still remaining in contact as if they were right next to one another again giving a clear advantage.

- After death a player can still relay information to their group! ("He has a blue pack, carrying an SKS with black pants. He was moving south behind the police station!") That lone survivor may have been able to take out an the entire group were it not for the use of 3rd party comms.

- Takes away the ability to eavesdrop on player conversations which could possibly reveal important information on other players locations, player intentions or locations of loot/equipment. As well as just having the fun of listening in on others conversations for the heck of it.

Game Mechanics - What affects does this have on the established/future game mechanics put in place?

- Renders the Walkie-Talkie pointless. This very cool item/mechanic would be invaluable were it not for the use of 3rd party comms used by many/most group oriented players.

- Allows player interaction without alerting zombies/wildlife. Under minding, at least some aspects, the stealth system currently being implemented.

Sorry if this seems like a purely negative post to those who use 3rd party comms. That was not my intention! I simply could not think of any pros to players in Day Z using 3rd party comms. Unfortunately I do not see any way to stop this either.

I am of course open to what others might think and would like to hear both pro's and cons from my fellow survivors!

Edited by 8bit_Survivor
  • Like 2

I'm hearing you. However, I don't see how this could ever be fixed. :/

Mirroring all mic communication would work.

At least for 99 percent of people.

If you speak the mic picks it up and talks in game thus the advantage is mitigated.

• Like 2

If you speak the mic picks it up and talks in game thus the advantage is mitigated.

Turn off/remove computer microphone and use cell phone instead. There is always a way around. :(

Edited by IgnobleBasterd
  • Like 2

Turn off/remove computer microphone and use cell phone instead. There is always a way around. :(

Yea but see how much of a hassle this is. Mirroring communications in game would work for most cases.

• Like 3

Very easy to workaround.  Very. 

• Like 2

Yea but see how much of a hassle this is. Mirroring communications in game would work for most cases.

Not really. Just use Skype over the cell phone, not biggie. Or, If you have a laptop, use the laptop for communicating.

As Sausage said, I'm sure there are other ways to go around it.

I think an item like the Arrowhead Radio would be great. However I don't see most taking the time since it would take away an advantage they have.

Having the game pick up and transmit and audio would be good. Would suck if you had to sneeze while sneaking up behind a zombie or survivor. Awkward when he turns around and sees you 15ft away with axe in hand :) But could that be done?

• Like 1

Besides a way to stop or work around possible fixes....

How does everyone think that 3rd party comms is currently impacting the game?? Lets stay on topic and not start yet another argument. There is already too much of that on the forums.

Edited by 8bit_Survivor

Not really. Just use Skype over the cell phone, not biggie. Or, If you have a laptop, use the laptop for communicating.

As Sausage said, I'm sure there are other ways to go around it.

What I should have said is.

It is enough of a hassle for most people to not bother and just live with the mirrored voice.

• Like 1

What I should have said is.

It is enough of a hassle for most people to not bother and just live with the mirrored voice.

I beg to differ. I don't think it is a hassle at all. Especially not considering the advantages it gives.

Edited by IgnobleBasterd

They should install functional public telephones in every major city with a directory.  That way you could simply dial every number until you find your friends ingame :).

• Like 5

I think an item like the Arrowhead Radio would be great. However I don't see most taking the time since it would take away an advantage they have.

Having the game pick up and transmit and audio would be good. Would suck if you had to sneeze while sneaking up behind a zombie or survivor. Awkward when he turns around and sees you 15ft away with axe in hand :) But could that be done?

Or when the baby in the same room that you play in cries. Or your wife asks you a question. Because your real life should always interfere with your video game... you know, since most survivors stalk zombies while carrying a baby on their back and explaining to their wife how the outlet timer works. Edited by cash81
  • Like 5

I no longer use 3rd party voice comms.

When I play with others then I use steam chat for text in order to facilitate meeting up with them; but no voice except in direct chat once we've met up.

It makes the game much more... lonely. 

So I understand what you are getting at, but I don't believe it will change.

• Like 1

It also eliminates the possibility of tracking a group, learning a specific member's voice, waiting until he's alone, shanking him, taking his gear and posing as him, voice acting his voice, then shooting all of them at a later date.

I did this with a group of 4 guys in Balota, since they were bandits and all had similar gear. I killed one with an axe as he was off alone drinking from a well, then took his clothes and returned to the group. Luckily they were using the in-game direct chat, and I was able to pretend to be that dude for quite some time, trying to act his voice. They eventually found out I was a fraud, but I managed to kill another before they got me.

I hate it when some of the best moments I've ever had I was unable to get on video.

I'm actually extremely against the use of 3rd party communication when playing DayZ

Edited by mullraugh
  • Like 4

Or when the baby in the same room that you play in cries. Or your wife asks you a question. Because your real life should always interfere with your video game... you know, since most survivors stalk zombies while carrying a baby on their back and explaining to their wife how the outlet timer works.

Just enable push to talk for mic

This would be worse for players than better for immersion.  I have emergency vehicles making noise going down my street that can be heard through my mic, I talk to my fiance while I play sometimes, I take work phone calls, I yell at my cats for climbing up the god damn curtains, etc...

Real life happens while I play and it makes noise.

Edited by IReadTheAgreement

Just enable push to talk for mic

yeah for sure. im just using that example for those who want the game to pick up your voice regardless of push to talk or not. basically just constantly on if it detects noise.

also, i think that if im chatting with my friends on a mumble account while they are playing wow or something, i shouldnt have my convo broadcast on dayz just because im breaking my own immersion.

i think the way it is now is fine. push to talk if you want to talk to others. and not have it synced with any other voice chat services.

i find so many here are trying to implement whole sale changes on things due to the actions of a small group of players who MAY use it to an unfair advantage.

are they going to ban people from playing next to each other and talking between themselves IRL? that's what i do on my lunch break at work with my buddy on private server. i guess that's frowned upon as well by the purists lol

*Walking through Novy Sobor, all peace and quiet when-*

"Jason! Come here right now and finish your damn green beans!"

"WTF mah! You just ruined my stealth tactic!"

Internet privacy, does this say anything?

I do understand the idea of OP and in the paper its a good idea.

But trust me, this idea backfires in too many ways even if you live alone.

Besides a way to stop or work around possible fixes....

How does everyone think that 3rd party comms is currently impacting the game?? Lets stay on topic and not start yet another argument. There is already too much of that on the forums.

Obviously if people could only talk to those within hearing range the game would play completely different.  There is no debating this, at all.  Anyone saying otherwise is full of shit.  Grouping with friends would be near impossible without a plan in advance, so a camp would be required and the silly deathmatching would end almost intantly.  KOS would also end.  It would be KOSpeak.  Unfortunately, without some type of police officer standing behind you with a taser there is little anyone could possible do to prevent it in this day and age.

Of course, if that was even possible we'd all be debating whether or not we should be able to log into the same server we were on at all since running back to a location, shouting a codeword while unnaturally wiggling back and forth, grabbing a gun from a tent, and getting back to business after "dying" is just as absurd as talking to a ghost or magically communicating with your friends from hundreds of meters away.

This discussion is pointless,.  We live in a day and age where we cannot possibly prevent such communication and debating how the game would be different is just another tiresome waste of energy.

Hell, even if they could do this, I have two more computers and two more keyboard right here and eleven and half toes. How would they stop me from using TS with a separate mic?

They should install functional public telephones in every major city with a directory. That way you could simply dial every number until you find your friends ingame :).

Oh great. Way to go Steak. Now we have to loot tiny quarters from the couch cushions before we can make our calls.

• Like 1

Somehow removing the ability to use TS or Skype,(not sure if they even can) would make it even harder to organize events and play with friends then it already is.

i think the idea with the police officer and the taser is best sollution! 

would also be such a step forward to the ingame imersion. u get hit by a zed BAM officer bitchslaps u in the face !

like this !

watch it till the end !!! 

Edited by Munson_fry
  • Like 1

Somehow removing the ability to use TS or Skype,(not sure if they even can) would make it even harder to organize events and play with friends then it already is.

Couldn't you just keep a walkie on you in order to communicate with friends. Or organize a meet up prior to logging in? I also don't know if devs want this to be overly social experience.

Once again though, I am more Interested in hearing how everyone feels about how this is impacting the game.

Does it change your play style?

Ways to identify players using 3rd party comms?

How to handle those players in a PvP scenario?

For example, saw a video on youtube where while robbing a player with a clan tag the bandit had him count 1 2 3 over and over in direct chat so they couldn't use 3rd party comms. Nice trick!