Sign in to follow this  
Samuri_Bake_Pie

Why snipers aren't going away

Unless you're playing in a clan as a dedicated marksman for tactical situations, get over yourself, you're not a sniper. You're just a survivor who found a scope and is using for its intended purpose. You're no more a sniper than a hunter using a scope on a hunting rifle. Sometimes it's really useful to aim at something accurately beyond vision ability, anybody aware of this doesn't instantly become a "sniper" which is a combat role. I'm not sure why anyone would want either scopes or marksmen in organized groups to go away and the whole discussion seems a bit tedious.

Why are there so many people with scoped rifles sitting around shooting at others? Well, it's just a consequence of the current game dynamics.

• Supplies are overabundant. People reach the state where they can stop worrying about survival and running around looking for them pretty fast.
  • Firearms and ammo are overabundant. Not only makes it finding that scoped rifle easier but also increases the overall player threat as virtually everyone is able to kill you from afar without much trouble.
  • Server hopping and freshspawn suiciding. Those two exploits pronounce the former ones and also cause a concentration of players in certain areas making it much easier for snipers to find prey.
  • PvE is extremely weak. There is simply no threat from everything but players so people get bored and create their own action by shooting at others (which is currently the only real use for firearms).
  • Few environmental hazards. This hurts early game cooperation and makes lone wolfing preferable to joining forces with strangers (less risk and more loot for yourself).
  • No cooperative goals. This hurts lategame cooperation. Currently there is not much you could not do on your own and there are not many goals for players who found their high level gear other than shooting others.
  • (Third person mode favors camping over moving around* as you can peek around and over obstacles. This makes spotting prey much easier for "snipers" and spotting "snipers" virtually impossible for others.)

*Unless you are very close in which case it favors whoever has the better peeking spot or just an automatic weapon.

Edited by Evil Minion

because if i can shoot .22 at 4 players from a roof for three hours with my pants off everyone has more fun than if i were on the floor with an AKM

pew pew pew 

.22 is more annoying to be sniped by than a mosin. prove me wrong. 

Edited by Wookieenoob

Why are there so many people with scoped rifles sitting around shooting at others? Well, it's just a consequence of the current game dynamics.

• Supplies are overabundant. People reach the state where they can stop worrying about survival and running around looking for them pretty fast.
  • Firearms and ammo are overabundant. Not only makes it finding that scoped rifle easier but also increases the overall player threat as virtually everyone is able to kill you from afar without much trouble.
  • Server hopping and freshspawn suiciding. Those two exploits pronounce the former ones and also cause a concentration of players in certain areas making it much easier for snipers to find prey.
  • PvE is extremely weak. There is simply no threat from everything but players so people get bored and create their own action by shooting at others (which is currently the only real use for firearms).
  • Few environmental hazards. This hurts early game cooperation and makes lone wolfing preferable to joining forces with strangers (less risk and more loot for yourself).
  • No cooperative goals. This hurts lategame cooperation. Currently there is not much you could not do on your own and there are not many goals for players who found their high level gear other than shooting others.
  • (Third person mode favors camping over moving around* as you can peek around and over obstacles. This makes spotting prey much easier for "snipers" and spotting "snipers" virtually impossible for others.)

*Unless you are very close in which case it favors whoever has the better peeking spot or just an automatic weapon.

In red. it's what killed the game play in the MOD, its whats driving it down the toilet in the SA. 'end-game' goals that are extemely tedious/diffacult to attempt solo or even downright impossible and give an enormous advantage to those who choose interaction/cooperation. some things i think would go a long ways

• Realistic inventory volume. if it shouldn't fit in your bag/clothes IRL you should have to carry it in hands or drag it leaving you completely unable yo have a weapon in hands without first dropping the item your carrying. (this especially applies to LARGE items for base building or car repair like tires, lumber, etc.)
  • Realistic Stamina system and movement system that takes total weight on your character into account *Along with realistic weight values for every single item in-game
  • extremely Deep base-construction system as good or better then Epoch's (i know a lot of you hate epoch and i do too, but you have to admit the base building mechanics we a quantum leap over vanilla. it's a shame that was ruined with AI traders, and the number of servers that added in safe zones and completely indestructible bases)
  • Realistic fuel consumption values for vehicles, and realistic weight of fuel and fuel containers (no more carrying 8+ 20L fuel cans around all day). again this should push players into cooperating to get a vehicle running.

There needs to be content that makes cooperative survival rewarding in a realistic/authentic way- and the best way imho is to simply take a lesson from real life. combine this with harsh random weather, full day/night cycle with temps that vary throughout the day and based on weather + date/season would go a long way. add in a deep medical system with many different afflictions that require specific treatments and now i'ts infinitely more beneficial to work in a group. 

• Like 1

so you think you are going to be safe sniping from the hills because hordes wont stop sniper players. There are 2 problems with your argument

problem 1.

kjgfjcw.jpg

Problem 2.

nfgwoeO.jpg

you see, both your problems are going to be spawning and wandering around on the hills away from towns, but more than likely around sniper spots. So whats your next question, please keep it short this time

I'm genuinely curious, where do you live that has bears/wolves that run towards the sound of gun fire?

• Like 1

this is dayz. Zombies chase after animals and players but ignore trucks. So Yeah This kind of game really