Sign in to follow this  
Testokan

New to this awesome game!

Hi all

Installed the game a few days ago and I am having a great time. I tried several “Survival” games over the last couple of weeks, but none of them are as good as DayZ (To my opinion and play style).

The first hour was brutal, as I had no idea what to do and got killed 3 times by Zombies, once by freezing to death. I watched some Videos and gave it a try again. Much better now, got my first axe, food  and some nice cloth to keep me warm. Survived 1 day. Yeah! Second day I searched a barn and fell down the stairs. Leg broken! Died a slow death in a remote barn. After Apocalypse life sucks. Every step can be your last one.

So the broken leg led to learning how to chop wood and build a splint. Then my Axe got badly damaged so I figured out how to repair it with a stone. One thing leads to the other.

I am currently focusing on low population servers which are “Friendly” (I know it is only a description). Mainly to learn the game mechanics without getting hassled by trigger happy kids. Until now, I never saw another player in game.

What I also like is that the Zed’s are not present on every corner. You can walk for an hour and don’t see any, but suddenly you hear a Zed closing in and each time I freak like hell. Awseome! Now Zed’s are not really difficult to fight and sometimes they are very buggy. Now I read there will be more Zed’s in a future release. I just hope it will not turn in one of these 100 other games where you just need to slash Zombies. Rather just increase the numbers slightly, but give them much better AI (Not that I expect that Zombies are very clever).

I am really looking forward to be able to shoot animals for food. Not sure if this already works, didn’t come across any animals.

Now I am fully fed and equipped, so I will go exploring the map, visit some deserted villages, kill some Zed’s and just trying to stay alive.

Now I have a few questions:

• How often will there be updates?
  • Is there a possibility to get some statistics? As in how long am I surviving with the current character? Zed kills? Etc.

Happy Survival!

• Like 3

Hi all

Installed the game a few days ago and I am having a great time. I tried several “Survival” games over the last couple of weeks, but none of them are as good as DayZ (To my opinion and play style).

The first hour was brutal, as I had no idea what to do and got killed 3 times by Zombies, once by freezing to death. I watched some Videos and gave it a try again. Much better now, got my first axe, food  and some nice cloth to keep me warm. Survived 1 day. Yeah! Second day I searched a barn and fell down the stairs. Leg broken! Died a slow death in a remote barn. After Apocalypse life sucks. Every step can be your last one.

So the broken leg led to learning how to chop wood and build a splint. Then my Axe got badly damaged so I figured out how to repair it with a stone. One thing leads to the other.

I am currently focusing on low population servers which are “Friendly” (I know it is only a description). Mainly to learn the game mechanics without getting hassled by trigger happy kids. Until now, I never saw another player in game.

What I also like is that the Zed’s are not present on every corner. You can walk for an hour and don’t see any, but suddenly you hear a Zed closing in and each time I freak like hell. Awseome! Now Zed’s are not really difficult to fight and sometimes they are very buggy. Now I read there will be more Zed’s in a future release. I just hope it will not turn in one of these 100 other games where you just need to slash Zombies. Rather just increase the numbers slightly, but give them much better AI (Not that I expect that Zombies are very clever).

I am really looking forward to be able to shoot animals for food. Not sure if this already works, didn’t come across any animals.

Now I am fully fed and equipped, so I will go exploring the map, visit some deserted villages, kill some Zed’s and just trying to stay alive.

Now I have a few questions:

• How often will there be updates?
  • Is there a possibility to get some statistics? As in how long am I surviving with the current character? Zed kills? Etc.

Happy Survival!

There wil; be updates every two or so months.

and if you want statistics, you must keep track yourself. DayZ isn't an arcade game, so the community doesn't really care about "how many zeds have you managed to kill?"

I wish we had more people like you that enjoy the game. It really is, quite fantastic. But you will soon realize that people are way worse than any climate or zombie. Play on servers that have a good 3-10 people. If you find someone, they will be scared and try to kill you. But high population servers are full of fresh spawns, looted buildings, douches, and hackers. The best people that play DayZ have already found a community to hang with. I  play DayZRP because it offers a genuine experience, and killing on sight and RDM is not allowed. DayZ is a fantastic game. It really is. But everyone makes the mistake of wanting to find others. But in the end, others will be the one thing you want to avoid, to survive. If you have any questions you can send me a message and I will be glad to help.

Welcome To DayZ

You can already live completely of the land by hunting, fishing and farming.

Maybe this can be the next challenge for you to learn. :)

And believe me. The first time you meet another player you might soil your pants. ;)

Especially if he/she turns out to be hostile.

I love this game and updates are coming a bit faster now I would say.

A new patch is being tested atm. Can't wait for it to come on the stable branch. Will bring basic stealth and hordes.

Welcome to the game!

DayZ gets a Stable Branch Update once every month. The Stable Branch is the one you played on. But there's also an experimental branch, on which you can assign by enabling it on Steam. On that branch, you can experience the latest developments, but prepare yourself for many bugs and glitches ;) 

Hunting and skinning animals is already in, but you will need a gun to kill those, because the new animal A.I. made them really attentive and they are very easy to startle.

Statistics will be available later in the development, it's on the official roadmap for 2015 for the 2nd quarter of the year. Here's the roadmap: http://www.dayztv.com/standalone/dayz-2015-roadmap/

Good luck in Chernarus!

Welcome to Chenarus.

If (when) you need to make another splint, search the forest floor for kindling. There's no need for an ax, if you can get to a wooded area.

You will be happy to learn that new zombie animations and AI are currently being tested on the experimental branch. It's still a bit crude, but very promising. The zombies are spawning in much greater numbers and the devs are also working on a horde AI. But don't worry, this is not going to be another "Left For Dead" clone.

Edited by BleedoutBill

hello !

as you are new to this game, i can give you a big advice : don't spoil yourself too mutch. don't look at DayZ map ! i loved the "lost" feeling i had when i just started the game and the exitement discovering a new town. explore the map by yourself, you'll be so happy when you'll find military bases, airfields and other interesting locations. thoses feeling vanish as soon as you open dayz map.

don't look at items databases and spawn locations, suprise is always more fun.

when you'll be around 100+ hours into dayz, you should have lost that "new game" feeling, and that should be the right time to learn more about locations, spawns, craft by looking at dayz tutorials.

on last advice, try half full servers. you'll find people, get that adrenalin rush that get you hooked to dayZ. trigger happy or not, finding people in dayz is alway interesting.

so enjoy your noob time on this game ;)

Thanks a lot for all the replies. 

I will not quote (Would make the post to long). 

Updates/Statistics: Thanks for the roadmap. This looks very promising. Especially the animal improvements. Predators? Yeah! I also looked at the Hord video. Bahh. As a single player this will be most probably certain death. But I like games (or Alphas) which change the game meta drastically. Adapt or die!

Hunting: Will go looking for some animals this evening. I have built myself a bow and some arrows yesterday. Need to get them to work. I also own a gun, but it just has 3 bullets inside. 

Splint: Yes, I figured it out finally how to chop down trees and bushes (After hitting a tree for 5 minutes!)

Map: To late.  :) I see your point about the "Lost" feeling. I don't know if there is some background story to the game (If there is, let me know), but I think the person I play, grew up around the spawning location. So certain knowledge would be available. And as a new player, I can avoid dangerous spots. 

I am an "old" player, playing computer games for more then 30 years now! I used to be a hardcore gamer, now I just play to relax after a hard working day. My favourite playstyle is a lonely wolf, so other player interaction is for me not mandatory (I have enough during work). I of course interact if necessary, but if I can, I will pass you, without you recognizing me.

A few more questions:

Why does a stone cover 4 spaces in your backpack? A stone to sharpen your axe shouldn't be bigger then a tin of beens. 

Rain: Does it rain on all servers at the same time? I once switched server as it was raining for 15 minutes non stop (I know in real life this is nothing, but it is in my game time!). But on the other server it also rained. So I switched back. 

So, I will be off trying the hunting this evening. And continue to survive. 

• Like 3

You can find small stones in "stoney areas". Just look on the ground with empty hands. Small stones take only one space.

Those small stones can be used to craft something. I leave that to you to find out (can tell you, of course, if you want).

I'm impressed by how similar our situations/experiences with the game are. As I was reading what you wrote, I almost thought to myself "Wait a minute... did I write this?".

I've been looking at the recruitment boards (both here and on Steam) since I started playing a few days ago, but it seems to mostly be about big clans & groups and/or PvP, neither of which I'm interested in.

If you feel like meeting up some time and have a bit of a wander, send me a PM. I'm EST, usually playing evenings/nights.

• Like 2

Welcome to the game!  Have some beans!  :beans:

The time you are experiencing right now is a bit magical.   You're lost and you have no idea what is going on.  I encourage you to continue to play like this, without external maps and such for as long as yo can stand it.   You'll learn the map like the back of your hand in a month or two... and it is less magical at that point.  Getting lost, and finding your way back to where you are familiar is an incredibly fun time in this game.  You'll only be a scared new player for a little while, so enjoy the hell out of it!  Try a server which is at night for the ultimate pants-crapping scenarios.

Rule #1: Don't get attached to your loot.

Edited by klesh
  • Like 2

Welcome.

There is nothing like the first few weeks playing. Not knowing the land or what to do. Enjoy these early days as they are the best imo.

• Like 2

Welcome.

There is nothing like the first few weeks playing. Not knowing the land or what to do. Enjoy these early days as they are the best imo.

Hey, I just said that!  :P

• Like 1

Many thanks for the feedback. 

I finally found a small stone. 3 more spaces in my backpack. 

Have now a few low population/friendly servers in my favourite list. So I can logon to the same servers. I also started to check out names which connect to these servers, to figure out, if it is like me, always the same people. 

I relocated a little bit more north and setup "camp" between 3 villages. As of Camp, I stay in this area. I want to get familiar with a small area, before heading in another direction. Also I want to see, if same loot spawns regularly in certain houses (So I know hwere to go if I need to resupply something). 

I have now some decent equipment and try to keep my stuff in good condition. 

Over the weekend I also visited an Airfield for the first time. Found some Pain killers and a new helmet. 

Next weekend my son will join me, so looking forward exploring the world together. 

• Like 2

Welcome to DayZ (and the forums) the experiences and enthusiam described reminds me of my first go around.  If you ever have questions, concerns or just feel like playing with someone, never hesitate to send me a PM.  As the wise Klesh spoke dayz giveth and dayz taketh, at this point it does not sound like you have gotten carried away with gear attachment, more so just enjoying the experience which is the best way to play.

Regards,

Steak.

• Like 1

Welcome to the Forums and the land of Chernarus.

Its a hard life at first but you will soon figure out what spawns where and what goes with what and you will have a grand time

i do suggest picking up a friend or two on the forums here to game with, as playing alone tends to get boring.

• Like 1

I found that there are actually more zeds than you think..Try to go the edge of town, find a zed then kill it with a gun. You will more zeds coming after you later on...sounds attract all of them.