Sign in to follow this  
FlimFlamm

Aircraft: Planes

If anything, it is too SMALL for small aircraft. The map is ony about 20 kilometers from corner to corner.

People keep saying that the map is too small but they never explain why, they just keep restating that the map is too small.

On the original DayZ mod I had no problem whatsoever flying the An-22 cargo plane and landing it absolutely anywhere where there wasnt a tree or a building.

Getting to the other side of the map in a cessna or an an-22 cargo takes 5-10 minutes depending on speed only slightly faster than some (and slower than some other) helicopters.

Just out of curiosity, did you play the original DayZ mod? they had black hawks, chinooks, c130's and more. While I'm not advocating for this level of militarization, the map was not too small for there to be any crowding issues.

Why exactly is chernarus too small for a simple helicopter or plane?

People keep saying that the map is too small but they never explain why, they just keep restating that the map is too small.

On the original DayZ mod I had no problem whatsoever flying the An-22 cargo plane and landing it absolutely anywhere where there wasnt a tree or a building.

Getting to the other side of the map in a cessna or an an-22 cargo takes 5-10 minutes depending on speed only slightly faster than some (and slower than some other) helicopters.

Just out of curiosity, did you play the original DayZ mod? they had black hawks, chinooks, c130's and more. While I'm not advocating for this level of militarization, the map was not too small for there to be any crowding issues.

Why exactly is chernarus too small for a simple helicopter or plane?

Because having such a piece of equipment LETS YOU CROSS THE MAP IN 5-10 MINUTES. It completely removes the aspect of survival from the game, and turns it into a "lets find everyones camp and loot it" game. 

Not including the fact that, until the devs come out and give the in-game characters backstories as helicopter/single-engine aircraft mechanics and pilots, there is no reason to think the in-game characters know ANYTHING about repairing, maintaining, or flying helicopters or planes.

Ground vehicles, such as trucks and cars, I can see, because generally they tend to be easier (MUCH easier) to operate [Hell, I learned how to drive stick (Standard, for those not in the know) on a Korean-War Ammo Carrier in an afternoon, and was eminently capable in driving it around that day], and the knowledge required to repair (and more importantly, identify problems to begin with) and maintain such pieces of equipment/technnology tends to both 1) be more common among the general population (Quickly: how many truck mechanics do you think there are compared to helicopter/plane mechanics in your home city?), as well as the actual technology being "easier" to work with.

Helicopters and planes just aren't realistic, in a game that is feasibly a survival simulator. 

Dog fighting................. people are seriously advocating for dog fighting in a Survival game...

Because having such a piece of equipment LETS YOU CROSS THE MAP IN 5-10 MINUTES. It completely removes the aspect of survival from the game, and turns it into a "lets find everyones camp and loot it" game. 

Not including the fact that, until the devs come out and give the in-game characters backstories as helicopter/single-engine aircraft mechanics and pilots, there is no reason to think the in-game characters know ANYTHING about repairing, maintaining, or flying helicopters or planes.

Ground vehicles, such as trucks and cars, I can see, because generally they tend to be easier (MUCH easier) to operate [Hell, I learned how to drive stick (Standard, for those not in the know) on a Korean-War Ammo Carrier in an afternoon, and was eminently capable in driving it around that day], and the knowledge required to repair (and more importantly, identify problems to begin with) and maintain such pieces of equipment/technnology tends to both 1) be more common among the general population (Quickly: how many truck mechanics do you think there are compared to helicopter/plane mechanics in your home city?), as well as the actual technology being "easier" to work with.

Helicopters and planes just aren't realistic, in a game that is feasibly a survival simulator. 

Finding a campsite from the air is not very simple. Landing and looting it is less simple. Coordinating an attack on a base is even less simple.

On the original DayZ mod, player built bases were massive constructions. They had helipads and garages, MG nests and were strategically placed in order to dominate and control the surrounding terrain. Groups large and successful enough to build such bases were inviting attack. Being spotted from the air is something large bases had to dealw ith along with the ensuing clan warfare.

The fact that the bases could be spotted from the air meant that they were large and successful or agressively placed. Attacking and looting such bases is a natural aspect of gameplay in DayZ. It is the dynamic endgame that everyone wants to play and wants to see; clan/inter base warfare.

Bases in Dayz standalone can be well hidden and well trapped. The type of plane I am advocating (CAMEL) can be shot down or disabled by a weapon of almost any caliber. Having a well maintained plane and willing to expend precious ammo on anything other than an enemy air vehicle which can threaten you is something only the mega rich could strategically afford to do.

If you spent all the time required to build, arm, and maintain such a plane youa re going to be flying at around 1km height in order to avoid any possible ground artillery (why risk it) and potentially even higher in order to counter any potential enemy aircraft.

The CAMEL plane is an air dominance fighter. It is a dinky of the skies that would compete at a fair level against a little bird sized helicopter with door gunners. Do not confuse a helicopter with door gunners for a black hawk military helicopter. Littlebird sized helicopters WILL be in the game, rest assured, and people hanging out the sides of them with assault rifles and hand held MG's WILL be able to shoot out of them. You are going to need to come to terms with the fact that V3S's loaded with people shooting assault rifles out the back are going to have fights with helicopters with people shooting assault rifles out of the sides. It's only fair that whatever planes are available will have the ability to shoot guns of a similar caliber in order to make them fun and relevant.

I am completely against militarized vehicles. They are too hard to maintain and parts and equipment is too costly. What I do support however is ghetto/guerilla style armed vehicles. A plane with a gun strapped to it in order to defend against helicopters fits the bill for me.

Dog fighting................. people are seriously advocating for dog fighting in a Survival game...

The game already has ground assault tactics, it will certainly have vehicle warfare tactics. It has snipers. Bases. It will have things like MG nests and entrenched positions. It has boobie traps, it will have planes and helicopters. So why not 'dogfighting'

Dogfighting is the thing that occurs when two aircraft (traditionally two planes) fight one another in the sky. But it can be helicopter on helicopter too, it just so happens that heli on heli action is quite boring compared to when planes are thrown into the mix.

The game already has ground assault tactics, it will certainly have vehicle warfare tactics. It has snipers. Bases. It will have things like MG nests and entrenched positions. It has boobie traps, it will have planes and helicopters. So why not 'dogfighting'

Dogfighting is the thing that occurs when two aircraft (traditionally two planes) fight one another in the sky. But it can be helicopter on helicopter too, it just so happens that heli on heli action is quite boring compared to when planes are thrown into the mix.

Thats the thing it will probably have none of those things. MG nests are a bit of a stretch the devs don't even want to add a LMG, though the pkm is possible. Planes are not planned AFAIK , helicopters were in the old timeline but who knows if that is going to be in since helicopters would make no sense in dayz especially with the small map.

Unlike the mod This will hopefully not be Arma with zombies.

You guys don;t seem to realize that helicopters are going to be available.

This means that people are going to be able to travel across the map in 5-10 minutes regardless of anything, and worse helicopters will enable people to land anywhere. At least with planes reconaissance is only reconaissance, and not straight up arial piracy like base hunting with a helicopter is.

Secondly, helicopters are going to have people hanging out of the open doors, and these people will have guns. These people will shoot you with these guns, do you understand? You will get shot at by helicopters regardless of how much it intrudes into your zen founded survival goals. So given this unavoidable truth, planes with guns attatched to them becomes a saving grace against these helicopters, because while the planes cannot safely or reliably engage ground targets, they can enagage the helicopters which will one day shoot at you.

In this way, armed planes become self protecting arial transport and recon tools, with the capacity, as helicopters will also have, to combat and extort enemy aircraft. Keep in mind, actually building an d arming a plane or a helicopter is going to be extremely difficult, so if your group is affluent enough to do so then air transport, airspace control and air combat is a natural extension of the end game.

Naive survivors on their way inland from the coast look up in awe at the goings on of the skies and aside from being intrigued and motivated, are otherwise unaffected.

TL;DR Helicopters will exist no matter what, and people will be able to shoot out of them, no matter what. Armed planes will pose a major threat only to other aircraft which will help deal with out of control armed helicopters. Armed planes are less versatile than armed helicopters, which will certainly exist (armed helicopters being helicopters people shooting assault rifles/MG's out of them) and are harder to fly and can land in fewer places. They balance helicopter shenanigans.

Thats the thing it will probably have none of those things. MG nests are a bit of a stretch the devs don't even want to add a LMG, though the pkm is possible. Planes are not planned AFAIK , helicopters were in the old timeline but who knows if that is going to be in since helicopters would make no sense in dayz especially with the small map.

Unlike the mod This will hopefully not be Arma with zombies.

The mod was not Arma with zombies either, it was simply more thrival oriented than restrictive to survival. People have fun at first learning to survive, but once they have mastered their playstyle they want something to show for their efforts; something to work towards; something fun.

Aircraft are still in the timeline, and so far as i know planes and helicopters are going to be the incarnation that they appear in.

The map isn't too small for aircraft. I've put thousands of hours into the DayZ mod and I can tell you that the map is too large without aircraft or highly accessible (and very fast) ground transport. You might feel like you are protected from the rest of the population if people simply cannot get to you, but I feel like I am isolated from everyone because linking up with teammates and traveling from place to place is an extreme hassle which aircraft alleviates. If the appropriate amount of time and effort are put into creating an aircraft, then players would deserve the convenience it affords.

I don't want it to be Arma with zombies either, but I want there to be more than just build a hideout and sit around or go walking on foot looking for gunfights. Having helicopters and planes available doesn't make it Arma, and nor does it make the map too small. Given the difficulty that there should be to acquire an aircraft of anykind it simply extends the endgame to something which is quite reasonable.

What about the good old U.L.M ?

arton47055.jpg

It's slow, doesn't fly very high, and could be the equivalent of the bike in air terms.

Doesn't need long runways, takes off in 20 meters, can easily land on a road, or on the grass ( granted that might be a little bit more dangerous, but it's actually quite done) and uses a 50 cc motor. Needs little mechanical skills... This is the kind of aircraft that you can easily fix.

Honestly, it might not be russky all the way, but these things are all over the world in hobbyist aerodromes.

Of course, it has no weapons, and it should have just about the speed of a V3S truck. But for a quick getting around, for a lone wolf player, I'd say this is top choice: You can even land on the Prison Island and take right back off...

Oh, and let's not forget, you can build one yourself, from a scrapped bycicle and a wing :

I already posted this message on another plane topic, but I'm posting it again, because the U.L.M is the actual only flying vehicle that can realistically be built and driven in this kind of environment.

Ultralights are a perfect example of the types of aircraft that would be heavily employed in a zombie apocalypse. They are completely reasonable projects to build, and the only opposition that players have toward them is the nonsense about map size and how people think flight is too powerful or immersion breaking.

If anything it is more immersive. The skies are the end game along with bases, which as an aside, without having aircraft to get to and from, are pretty useless.

I would be all for planes if they were small light aircraft like Piper Cherokees. The largest I would support is a C-47 or C-38. Any larger and faster is pointless and would struggle to land. Helicopters would be nice too such as Hueys and MI-17s with door mounted FN MAGs, PKTs or M134s. Good evac aircraft, scouting tools and in large scale firefights air support.

I would be all for planes if they were small light aircraft like Piper Cherokees. The largest I would support is a C-47 or C-38. Any larger and faster is pointless and would struggle to land. Helicopters would be nice too such as Hueys and MI-17s with door mounted FN MAGs, PKTs or M134s. Good evac aircraft, scouting tools and in large scale firefights air support.

I have a very similar opinion except for a few things. C-38's (jets of any kind) are just too big. Mi-17's are also perhaps, too big. For realism's sake they are too hard to maintain.

Hueys are the perfect combination of size, technology level (maybe they are slightly too complex to maintain, but who cares), and armaments.  A modular makeshift helicopter around the size of a huey armed with m240's should be the pinnacle of aircraft.

An M134 is simply too powerful. It takes thousands of 5.56 rounds...

PKT's and M240's are the perfect caliber. Pretty much cannot go wrong with them in terms of balance.

Edited by FlimFlamm

Well thanks to the future of DayZ being open to modders its pretty stupid to say anything won't be in the game ever.  And once again I am glad gibonez is not a dev :P

Well thanks to the future of DayZ being open to modders its pretty stupid to say anything won't be in the game ever.  And once again I am glad gibonez is not a dev :P

The mods are going to fill every niche desire that people want, but it is still very important for the basic game to have enough content to hold an audience and so that the mods don't have to do all the cool stuff themselves.

The way vehicles get implemented in vanilla standalone, the way they spawn or are constructed, the way they are maintained, and the types of vehicles available is going to be the starting point for most mods. Having an already established diverse and dynamic vehicle system that works is going to be crucial to the success of any mods which feature additional vehicles.

This is why I am petitioning for a truly constructable/modular vehicle system. We need vehicles to be dynamic and have as many options and variable parts as possible so we can make them our own.

DIY chopper

Lift off at 2:20, even though... yeah...

• Like 1

This video is the perfect example of the kind of aircraft that are completely doable.

So what if it's risky?

Found this epic video, have to share it:

CHINESE FARMER MAKES AUTO GYRO, FLIES IT LIKE A BOSS.

This is actually all I ever wanted.

Edited by FlimFlamm

To OP

As much as I want to see (some) planes in, many of what you have said is flawed.

First off, you seem to refer to Overpoch as "The original DayZ mod" and compare your experiences in it to SA. Overpoch is very, very different than the DayZ mod. The Mod offers a much better look at what is overpowered.

The only armed helis in the Mod are the UH-1 and the MI-17, which, armed with single-barreled MGs, stand little chance against an experienced pilot, even if he only has a biplane. and they are only good at suppressing ground targets. In Epoch/Overpoch, there are tons of helis, most of which mount M134s and have more armor. There where (Until recently, with the addition of the DShK truck) also no anti-aircraft weapons in the mod, the closest thing being a MK.48.

Also, in Epoch, Bases were, as you said, massive constructions that were usually literally impossible to raid. In vanilla, and in SA, bases are/will be just tents in the woods and barricaded buildings, which don't lock. While from the ground you may think your tent is well hidden, bushes and trees don't render as much from a distance (and thus, from the air) and unnatural objects stick out, even stashes. This is why I don't want helis and small, agile aircraft.

As you said however, helis are confirmed and I doubt we'll be able to change their minds. But planes won't be a "saving grace" against these tyrant bandit squads and their vehicles. very, very few people who play DayZ are skilled with fixed wing aircraft. There could be what? 3 or 4 who posses the "skills" you claim to have. It would be much, much, MUCH more effective to simply keep the PKM on the ground and use it as an AA.

And about "building" aircraft - Really? do you think the average person, with no knowledge of aerodynamics, can design an airworthy frame, especially without the assistance of experts or even the internet? I highly doubt it.

I am not against planes, (Nor am I saying they are OP for combat) but to me it seems you only want planes because you liked flying around and shooting up helicopters and playing flyboy. Adding an extremely complicated system for modular planes isn't worth it if only a handful of people will use it, while the rest just use the plane as a cheap way to find someone's car stash. 

I think you've got some names mixed up aswell. the AN-22 is a four-engine Soviet cargo plane. what your talking about is the AN-2. This plane I can support being ingame. Maybe with an MG in the door aswell.

Antonov_An-2_SP-AIN_(8440879513).jpg

Edited by thedogfoodyayho
  • Like 1

@thedogfoodyayho

I hear where you're coming from, so allow me to adress a few things.

Redarding the nature of bases and one of the common objections to aircraft:

In the vanilla Dayz arma 2 mod, bases consisted of tents and nothing more. There was no way to secure them, no way to lock them, everyone hated them because no matter where you hide them eventually someone will disover them.

That said, I should have been clearer in my OP about my own particular vision of what DayZ is becoming. Since the developers originally promised in depth base building and barricading systems I naturally assumed that SA was going to implement some of the basebuilding style mechanics of mods like epoch. I don't think giant cement walls are appropriate, but I am sure the devs can find some happy mediums. When it comes to the impenetrability of bases, even with larger cement ones like in epoch and overpoch, there is simply no such thing.

Everything can be destroyed, or hacked, or damaged. Regardless of how big and secure your base was, it is only a matter of time before someone dedicated enough breaks in when nobody is around, or by force when you are and to your great dismay. The more secure the base the less chance of breakins, but there is no possible fort knox in DayZ. Nor was there in epoch.

Many payers will simply barricade existing structures, making them basically invisible from the sky. Other players who have groups will build larger bases with some sort of fortification system to keep zombies and players away. Spotting them from the air will be the easy part, risking landing or attacking a fortified base is the hard and risky part.

Camoflague tents if placed under heavy tree cover will be invisible from the sky, so there is actually no nevesary threat to tents being discovered in the first place. Most players will not use the random tent system however, because it sucks. They will all want to make actual homes that they can fortify somehow and defend.

My main purpose for bringing up mods like epoch and ocerpoch is to point out that these are far and away the most successful developments that the original DayZ has seen. The original game was incredibly buggy and had serious problems and limitations. The interaction between players is what made it become popular despite it's serious flaws. The thing that kept DayZ alive was the modding community which added much needed content and mechanics changes. These two main changes were: improvement to the tent system in the form of base building; and supplemental access to vehicles in the form of constructable variations or NPC vehicle dealers.

One of the main flaws of the original DayZ is that vehicles are either too rare and hoarded by admins and large groups, leaving most players no way to experience them, or the server has 1000 vehicles spawning in everywhere to the point that vehicles become meaningless and the survival aspect of the game is ruined. I cannot think of any other way to address this problem by making certain basic vehicle forms be constructable. When it comes to aircraft, It is not unreasonable for survivors to construct ultralight aircraft. An ultralight plane is easy, an ultralight gyro copter is harder but still doable, and an ultralight helicopter (mosquito) is harder still, but in the realm of plausible. People buy kits and assemble their own mosquito helicopters pretty cheaply and very commonly... Some people even build their own from scratch like the russian gentlemen a few posts above.

Having constructable aircraft is an incredible difficult issue to navigate and implement while still holding true to the survival/interaction vision that the dev team is going for. I have been putting a lot of thought, and recently some work, into it, but the short version of the story is to have three variarions of aircraft be constructable, a plane, a gyro, and a mozzie, with the appropriate relevant difficulty, in order to make it so players can spend time working toards their own aircraft rather than having to find and fight over the couple that already exist.

Something very similar to these three arcraft:

308_1.jpg

pix7.png

4628_220905120549.jpg

P.S indeed I did mean An-2, not the An-22... Let's say I strapped a powerful engine to my aerolite 103 (the ultralight plane seen above) so that I could strap a gun to it and be more manuverable, would you honestly prefer a door gunning An-2 over that? (Don't underestimate my love for the An-2, it was one of my favorite vehicles in the mod, and I could literally fly it backwards)

Edited by FlimFlamm

I will start by saying this.

My last post came off as very hostile. That wasn't my intention and my hat is off to you for keeping your cool.

When you said building aircraft, i thought you literally meant picking up some pieces of metal, a lawnmower engine and a car seat, welding them together and making them fly, McIver style. Gyro kits and real parts i could support, but i doubt there would be all that many unused parts lying around. Maybe in aircraft hangers and (very rarely) in barns?

And yes, i would prefer riding in an armed AN-2 over a open, single-seat copter. Just to many bad experiences with open vehicles...

Hoarding vehicles will be much less of a thing in standalone however. The main reason it was so easy in the mod was that there was vast amounts of empty woods up north that were never touched by most people, allowing vast hoards of equipment to be stashed with virtual impunity for months on end. However, there is very little/no un-used space in Chernarus+, and people will be everywhere.

On the point of bases though, on the majority of servers, they were indestructible. And even if you got in, everything was locked down in safes.

And tents are impossible to hide from aircraft unless hidden in buildings. As i said, trees do not fully render from a distance, and while your tent may look well hidden on the ground, it is quiet easy for any pilot who is paying attention to notice it. I honestly would have no quarrel with Mi-17s and Uh-1s if it wasn't for this. But a small aircraft like a gyro or a Ah-6 would be incapable of carrying off any loot.

I will start by saying this.

My last post came off as very hostile. That wasn't my intention and my hat is off to you for keeping your cool.

When you said building aircraft, i thought you literally meant picking up some pieces of metal, a lawnmower engine and a car seat, welding them together and making them fly, McIver style. Gyro kits and real parts i could support, but i doubt there would be all that many unused parts lying around. Maybe in aircraft hangers and (very rarely) in barns?

And yes, i would prefer riding in an armed AN-2 over a open, single-seat copter. Just to many bad experiences with open vehicles...

Hoarding vehicles will be much less of a thing in standalone however. The main reason it was so easy in the mod was that there was vast amounts of empty woods up north that were never touched by most people, allowing vast hoards of equipment to be stashed with virtual impunity for months on end. However, there is very little/no un-used space in Chernarus+, and people will be everywhere.

On the point of bases though, on the majority of servers, they were indestructible. And even if you got in, everything was locked down in safes.

And tents are impossible to hide from aircraft unless hidden in buildings. As i said, trees do not fully render from a distance, and while your tent may look well hidden on the ground, it is quiet easy for any pilot who is paying attention to notice it. I honestly would have no quarrel with Mi-17s and Uh-1s if it wasn't for this. But a small aircraft like a gyro or a Ah-6 would be incapable of carrying off any loot.

Heh, I've got some pretty thick skin, that said, any fellow An-2 pilot would have a hard time making an enemy out of me. ( On the vanilla DayZ mod the An-2 was always my number one vehicle, and then on some epoch servers they modded them to where they had front firing MG's :D ).

On "building aircraft": I have a thread called MODULAR VEHICLES which is basically about a concept for player constructable ground vehicles. It isn't exactly macguyver level because players need to gather a wide variety of raw resources, tools, and rare parts in order to complete construction of a ground vehicle. This doesn't mean that surviors on the coast are going to be able to build a vehicle on the coast, nor does it mean that everyone and their grandmother will have a vehicle becuase they number of available engines will be limited by the economy of the server and the actual time it takes to gather the parts and put one together will be immense.

Building vehicles is a project only for people who have som sort of established base that affords them survival benefits like food stocks, storage and safety. Building and upgrading your own vehicle (ground or air) gives players something to do in the end game that also happens to address the issue of vehicle rarity without making them easy to get. It also delivers on the promise of modular vehicles.

What I suggest is that in addition to ground vehicles being constructable with the full gambit of parts and tools they require, there should also be constructable ultralight aircraft, with a similar gambit of parts and the same tools. Constructed  vehicles of all kinds are not meant to replace real vehicles entirely, but instead to provide an inbetween or a middle gound. Light aircraft cannot light much weight and are slower and weaker than real aircraft. Construcfted gound vehicles are likewise probably slower and weaker than prefabricated vehicles (unless heavily armored with sheet metazl and with the strongest available engine to push it).

On "vehicle hoarding": Yes the map is much more filled in and there are lest vast empty forests, but this does not mean that things are easier to find. If anything it was wasier to find a vehicle in the vast north beause that's where everybody hides them, and visibility in forests was quite good . Now that everything is much more densely designed there are more places to hide vehicles than before that will be hard to spot. Vehicle hoarding will not go away if nothing changes in SA, it will in fact become a much bigger issue in finding a balance between vehicle rarity (and therefore value and game difficulty) versus vehicle accessibility.

If most servers have around a 20 vehicle limit, like most people think is a good idea (they are adhering to original initial vanilla mod concepts), then what will happen is players will spread out and diffuse into more servers because individual players will think they have a better chance at a vehicle on a less populated server. This will stimy player interaction and it will be much more difficult for the best servers to establish themselves and maintain constant high populations. With a system of supplemental vehicle access, like the one I suggest, players will have additional reasons to stick to one server, which will foster community development within individual servers.

The only reason people run up and down the coat in a pink dress weilding fire extinguishers is beause since every interaction is essentially anonymous (because of server hopping), they have no reason to preserve their dignity.

On "Bases": I think I understand what the devs are going to do about base building. They are going to add as many basic things as possible and be as minimalistic as possible so that survivors really have to adapt bases to the environment they choose to construct them in. A very common base will be a locked and fortified building that already exists. It won't be immediately apparant that this is a player base, and almost impossible to tell from the air. Forest bases are going to mainly consist of camoflauged tents and cammo netting type setups where the main defense will also be invisibility. Players will additionally set up trip wire traps and land mines in the forest around their base in order to protect against raiders.

If the devs actually add the ability to construct larger bases and lockable buildings then it will be implied that anyone posessing such a base is strong enough to invite agression by being easily visible.

Personally I would like perhaps the ability to make lockable cabins, and maybe down the road something even bigger, but I would be totally happy with a basic hidden forest base where I can stash my vehicle (maybe with some type of fencing and gate system as well) or the ability to barricade and lock a building that I can live in with a garage out backwhere I can keep my vehicle locked up.

---------------------------------------------

In the end it's impossible for the SA not to address the problem of lone tents sucking and of vehicles being hoarded. The decline in popularity of the vanilla mod compared to the basebuilding/vehicle building mods like epoch and overwatch and origins is absolute proof that the original model of vanilla DayZ is incomplete and flawed. If the dev team releases a game with no long term objectives like basemaking/building and vehicle construction to prevent hoarding then they are never going to hear the end of it and it will be very bad for business. We would instantly see the exact same phenomenon as what happened to the original vanilla dayz mod: people would only play on modded servers that add supplemental vehicle access, or on vanilla servers that have 1000 vehicles spawning. The end result was then and would be today that nobody would actually play vanilla DayZ. Why would the devs design a game in a particular way that they know nobody will use it for? (not trying to criticize the devs here, i think they know that they need to add and end game type content which is what the original DayZ lacked)

Apologies for the text wall nature of this post :(

Edited by FlimFlamm