S3V3N

Basejumping

Okay, this is probably not the most useful thing yet, unless you are somewhere in Cherno or on a radio tower. However, basejumping could be an interesting alternative to climbing stairs, etc. Not only is it a total pain to climb down each apartment building again, after you checked for tents, it's also a potential deathtrap. I also get quite a sense of Vertigo up on these roofs and would love to just run and jump off (and not die ^^) sometimes.

Players can wait for you and gun you down at the only exit. (Unless you are on a house that is connected to its sibling by a shared roof.) Basejumping could offer you a quick escape, in case someone else is on the roof or you are being chased. Once on the ground you could chose either to abandon the chute (cut lose), or to pack it up (10 seconds or more). A chute that is damaged or less than pristine may open later or fail completely. So each jump can also mean a potential risk. 

The chutes should not be found easily and spawn only on certain airfield locations. You should be able to patch them up with ducttape. The chute itself could also be a base for a makeshift tent. It would give you an edge in a chase to know you can jump off a ledge. Some locations could be tweaked to allow for basejumping and gliding through a valley/canyon; there is still a lot of empty space to plan/add such areas. They could shorten long walks and later, when there are more aircraft they could be used for parajumping or even constructing/fixing an ultralight plane. There is always the risk of getting shot at (since they are moving slow), but the payoff in terms of fun and free transport might be worth it. 

What I'm not entirely sure about is if wearing a chute means you have to abandon your backpack. I can't see how both would work at the same time, irl. I also think this idea may be more interesting in, let's say, the next version of Dayz, which could play in the US (New York) with lots of places to jump from and make sense, too. 

Edited by S3V3N

I can't think of a single location (other than Green Mountain Radio Tower) that would give you the required height of a Basejump.

It's definitely not possible from roofs as you are imagining (not the ones present in Chernarus anyway) - as we're looking at a minimum height of 100m for basejumping.

• Like 1

Not only is it a total pain to climb down each apartment building again, after you checked for tents

You're doing it wrong

I can't think of a single location (other than Green Mountain Radio Tower) that would give you the required height of a Basejump.

It's definitely not possible from roofs as you are imagining (not the ones present in Chernarus anyway) - as we're looking at a minimum height of 100m for basejumping.

Such a naysayer; I've been in plenty of areas with buildings and cliffs tall enough to deploy a 'chute from, especially where there are apartment buildings on hills; you wouldn't get much gliding time in many areas, granted, but if your sole concern is to get to the ground quickly, that wouldn't be much of an issue, and might even be a good thing. I've seen people base jump IRL off of buildings and other objects that are actually shorter than some of the buildings in the game, so I think it could definitely be done, as long as the 'chute deploys quickly enough to save you from cratering.

There are much more subtle ways in which legs are broken in this game.

Not a serious suggestion.

Please read the rules.

• Like 2