Sign in to follow this  
trujuice

Dead Body

I find it pretty messed up that if you die that all your stuff just vanishes. I understand that your body may decay and so can cloth items fine but any metal items should remain. I mean come on if you are with a buddy they can strip you naked before your body disappears but if you glitch/fall alone all your stuff is gone unless you can beat the body vanishing countdown. 

Expect this to change in the future, as there should be less bugs where you randomly die.

But the thoughts about this are that if you die you shouldn't be able to retrieve your gear, as it's a new life.

Expect the mechanic itself to change as well.

• Like 5

Of course I am all about realism. However, I don't think leaving a body for a longer time span than 5 minutes would take away from that. In fact I would expect to come upon dead bodies and not being able to really takes away from the realistic feel of the environment. Truth be told I would rather my body come back as the infect like "The Walking Dead" paradigm from which I would have to fight, kill, and loot to regain my stuff.

• Like 1

Truth be told I would rather my body come back as the infect like "The Walking Dead" paradigm from which I would have to fight, kill, and loot to regain my stuff.

This is something that has been discussed over and over, you should risk a search - as a lot of interesting discussion will be turned up by that.

As far as the aspect of the bodies goes: like I said - expect that to change. It was a temporary solution, but I very much doubt it'll stay like that.

• Like 1

At the risk of raking all of this up again, there is no point in having permanent death, if it is possible to start over with all of your gear intact. There should be consequences for risky behavior and if we negate permanent death, we might as well add quick saves and other arcade-like features.

Sorry, but permanent death is a key element that separates DayZ from the masses.

• Like 4

Not 100% about this but if you die on a hill your body slides down the hill but you can't loot a body because it's not where it "died"?

At the risk of raking all of this up again, there is no point in having permanent death, if it is possible to start over with all of your gear intact. There should be consequences for risky behavior and if we negate permanent death, we might as well add quick saves and other arcade-like features.

Sorry, but permanent death is a key element that separates DayZ from the masses.

In fact as we're used to it now we can keep it out right, just as we can keep 1pp in? :p

Not 100% about this but if you die on a hill your body slides down the hill but you can't loot a body because it's not where it "died"?

Correct.

• Like 1

My issue with this at the moment is to do with something that happened the other day.. My friend got run over by a guy in a V3S.. He jumps out and starts looting, I hop out of a bush and kill him and his friend continues to try to run me down... Eventually he drives off and I move into a position to watch for him flanking me... I leave it a reasonable amount of time, maybe 5-10 minutes and cautiously head over to the bodies with the intention of looting the other guy.. No bodies at all.. Now I think that is wrong.. I killed the guy but had to back off to ensure survival and safety, his body should not just up and disappear like that.. People always talk about realism on here, so how is it realistic that a body just disappears like that.. I do believe they should implement something to stop you looting your own body (Maybe use unique IDs to stop you picking up items you died with?) but I think it is wrong to lose the opportunity for you to take gear from someone you killed or a friend who got killed just because 5-10 minutes elapsed... Server restart, fine, I understand that... But not like that..

• Like 3

My issue with this at the moment is to do with something that happened the other day.. My friend got run over by a guy in a V3S.. He jumps out and starts looting, I hop out of a bush and kill him and his friend continues to try to run me down... Eventually he drives off and I move into a position to watch for him flanking me... I leave it a reasonable amount of time, maybe 5-10 minutes and cautiously head over to the bodies with the intention of looting the other guy.. No bodies at all.. Now I think that is wrong.. I killed the guy but had to back off to ensure survival and safety, his body should not just up and disappear like that.. People always talk about realism on here, so how is it realistic that a body just disappears like that.. I do believe they should implement something to stop you looting your own body (Maybe use unique IDs to stop you picking up items you died with?) but I think it is wrong to lose the opportunity for you to take gear from someone you killed or a friend who got killed just because 5-10 minutes elapsed... Server restart, fine, I understand that... But not like that..

I agree.....but even after server restart the bodies should be there. I mean.....why not? Your position and gear is retained. So why not bodies and their gear?

It's unfair to take that away from a player. But I understand that a time frame in which the body should vanish would be required (too many entities causing lag etc) ....however this time-frame should be a lot longer than it is now.

I also think, for a re-spawned player, that his body should not be visible / available for looting. Some shit to do with the space-time-continuum or even better, realism. Others should however have to opportunity to loot a body perhaps as long as they are within the network bubble. After that that body should disappear. 

Just an idea.

I agree.....but even after server restart the bodies should be there. I mean.....why not? Your position and gear is retained. So why not bodies and their gear?

It's unfair to take that away from a player. But I understand that a time frame in which the body should vanish would be required (too many entities causing lag etc) ....however this time-frame should be a lot longer than it is now.

I also think, for a re-spawned player, that his body should not be visible / available for looting. Some shit to do with the space-time-continuum or even better, realism. Others should however have to opportunity to loot a body perhaps as long as they are within the network bubble. After that that body should disappear.

Just an idea.

But then players in groups have another advantage over those that play alone.

"Yo, unload my body. I'll be there in 20"

Player doesn't need to access body to retrieve gear*

"Shit, I just died and have no friends around. Guess I have to start over.

When considering gameplay mechanics, you have to remember that gamers will meta/exploit the game to death if given the opportunity. The current mechanic isn't pretty, but hopefully it's not the intended final product. Alpha and such.

But then players in groups have another advantage over those that play alone.

"Yo, unload my body. I'll be there in 20"

Player doesn't need to access body to retrieve gear*

"Shit, I just died and have no friends around. Guess I have to start over.

When considering gameplay mechanics, you have to remember that gamers will meta/exploit the game to death if given the opportunity. The current mechanic isn't pretty, but hopefully it's not the intended final product. Alpha and such.

In this case, they need to be able to stop you from using those items totally.. As I said before, if all items have a unique ID (Which I am sure I read was being implemented to stop dupers?) then they just block the items you died with from being available for you to utilize or pick up for a set period.. Say 24 hours or something like that.. Yes it means the groups have the advantage, they always do to be fair in terms of gear, but it will at least cause issues and mean they have to cherry pick the best stuff or completely swap out their gear for yours.. Unfortunately there is just no viable way to stop it entirely.. 

And I do agree, bodies should persist over server restarts.. Even if it was just one or for a set period of time, 2-3 hours or something regardless of server restarts.. And have the gear degrade over a period of time until its all ruined or damaged (Although certain things would be fine, cans/canteens/metal items) at which point the body disappears and only the non ruined loot remains for one more server restart? 

• Like 1

In this case, they need to be able to stop you from using those items totally.. As I said before, if all items have a unique ID (Which I am sure I read was being implemented to stop dupers?) then they just block the items you died with from being available for you to utilize or pick up for a set period.. Say 24 hours or something like that.. Yes it means the groups have the advantage, they always do to be fair in terms of gear, but it will at least cause issues and mean they have to cherry pick the best stuff or completely swap out their gear for yours.. Unfortunately there is just no viable way to stop it entirely..

What if you kill the guy that killed you? You can't use it still?

What if you kill the guy that killed you? You can't use it still?

Haha damn it, I knew there would be a flaw in my idea.. I mean technically, I guess they would have to find a way to allow that.. Problem being, there would be too much potential for abuse.. Eg/ group grabs your gun, meets up with you, gives it to a fresh spawn unloaded and you kill the fresh spawn to get your gun back.. To be honest, I doubt they will ever find a solution for this unfortunately..

How would not being able to loot your body be realistic?  If it is indeed, a new life, then you are a new person and your previous dead body is just another dead body for you to loot, just like any other.  Also, if you die, loot for food and a bag real quick, run all the way back across the map and find your gear before someone else does without dying, then you deserve it back.  Not being able to loot yourself is a horrible idea.  

Expect this to change in the future, as there should be less bugs where you randomly die.

But the thoughts about this are that if you die you shouldn't be able to retrieve your gear, as it's a new life.

Expect the mechanic itself to change as well.

If you die and become "a new player, with a new life", then that's not YOUR gear.  If you're another character, why wouldn't you be able to loot a dead body that you find?  That doesn't make any sense.  This idea of a new life simply isn't logical in this context and actually seems contradictory.

Edited by Finchtastic

If you die and become "a new player, with a new life", then that's not YOUR gear.  If you're another character, why wouldn't you be able to loot a dead body that you find?  That doesn't make any sense.  This idea of a new life simply isn't logical in this context and actually seems contradictory.

That is not the point and you have completely missed it.

If you happen to come across a dead body it doesn't matter whether it is yours or not.

The point is that in a new life you wouldn't know where your body is and thus you couldn't just run back to it in a straight line. This is why it is currently heavily restricted, so that people won't pick up their gear again after death.

Personally I think its stupid, when its a feature "that you cant go back to your old body because its a new character" ... in a game were people SERVER HOP for loot

Like the priorities are mixed up or something... besides 9 times out of 10 you get killed by someone and you wont have much loot to go back to anyway (Or its all ruined) .. its a game so some "ideas" just dont translate well and take away from the fun... and I mean FUN not realism... if you want to play as a new character ... simple... don't go back to your body = profit?

Thats what dayz is about... playing MY game... not the devs telling me how to think when I play

That said,as far as dead bodies go... I miss the fly sounds (around dead bodies) from the mod days... it instantly introduces suspense makes you alert , knowing someone died near you...

I wish hiding bodies wasn't a disappearing magic trick... instead Id like to drag bodies out of sight... with whatever loot still on them.... ALL dead bodies should stay on server till the reset

Edited by Count_Grishnackh
  • Like 1

That is not the point and you have completely missed it.

If you happen to come across a dead body it doesn't matter whether it is yours or not.

The point is that in a new life you wouldn't know where your body is and thus you couldn't just run back to it in a straight line. This is why it is currently heavily restricted, so that people won't pick up their gear again after death.

But if it's a new life, why wouldn't you be able to loot any body you come across...  previous character or not?  It's a NEW LIFE, that's not your character and it's not your gear.  I didn't miss the point, the point is a logical fallacy.  The idea of a new life and what that means, completely contradicts the idea that you can't pick up your previous gear.  I get what it's intended purpose is, it just simply doesn't make sense.  Also, it gives group players an unfair advantage.  Their buddies can just grab their stuff and hide it in a bush, go find them and pick them up. Boom, like nothing ever happened.  But the person who takes all the time and effort to get supplies to make the trip and run all the way back gets screwed.  My last argument is that this new life idea is clearly for realism purposes... How realistic is it that after 5 minutes your body just kind of sinks into the ground and disappears?

• Like 1

Another thing to think about is if the new life thing is about realism, they missed the mark.  It would add not only realism, but a whole other aspect to the game if the bodies stayed.  I think looting dead bodies you come across is much more realistic than your body sinking into the ground after 5 minutes.  In a real apocolyptic situation, looting dead bodies would be a much more integral part of survival than it is in this game.  Instead, your body sinks into the ground...

Truth be told I would rather my body come back as the infect like "The Walking Dead" paradigm from which I would have to fight, kill, and loot to regain my stuff.

Infected are not dead, which is why you can kill them with body shots easily. We survivors are immune to the virus.

I don't claim this idea as my own since surely somebody else before me came up with this but I think the game itself can take care of this problem: let the infected be attracted by dead bodies. Shortly (5-10 minutes?) after a player dies a handful of zombies will gather around the corpse for lunch. Which makes sense since it is the easiest accessible source of food around (hence the upcoming zombie mechanic where they simply get bored of chasing you around forever and give up sooner vor later). If you're in a group your mates can try to defend the body against the incoming zombies which could attract even more of them depending on your weapons of choice, which would fit in very well when ammo is becoming more scarce in the future, so your group would have to make important and difficult decisions, whether it's worth it to spend ammo and/or risking further injuries to other groupmembers. Or they take whatever seems most important and get the fuck outta there.

And if you're alone you can't just simply run straight back to your body because you wouldn't be able to fend off the infected munching on your previous character. Depending on how strong future iterations of the infected will be of course.

So yeah, proper zombies could be the answer to this problem at least to some extend - as they are to a lot of yet unsolved problems in the game. Who would have thought that about a zombie apocalypse game/simulater...

• Like 2

And I do agree, bodies should persist over server restarts.. Even if it was just one or for a set period of time, 2-3 hours or something regardless of server restarts.. And have the gear degrade over a period of time until its all ruined or damaged (Although certain things would be fine, cans/canteens/metal items) at which point the body disappears and only the non ruined loot remains for one more server restart? 

That's not a bad idea.  Just lock players out of their own bodies so you can't loot your own corpse.  Or lock the items until at least one other player has put them in their inventory.  Of course groups will always have the advantage, but maybe that will help encourage teamwork a bit more anyway.

IMHO, player corpses were a key part of creating the tense atmosphere of the Mod.  You heard those flies buzzing and came across a dead player and immediately you start looking anxiously around for whatever it was that killed him/her.  Or sometimes you come across a half dozen fully armed corpses and are like "what the hell went down here"?

Maybe that's all part of "persistence", but I think it would be great if there was more stuff like dead bodies, dead zombies, boarded up buildings, tents, old fire pits, discarded cans and whatnot that indicated players had been there.

• Like 1