Zyryanoff

Discussion about weapon slots on your back

Weapon slots on your back.  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• System must be changed.
    • No, I like current system.
    • Are you insane? In this case I can't carry my sweety overpimped assault rifle and mosin! So shut up!

IMHO goes there... :P

As Dayz development goes further and further I think that some old systems must be changed to improve gameplay.

And I think that one thing is very important for more interesting surviving: removing unrealistic ability to carry 2 weapons (large melee weapon/tool + firearm/bow) on your back.
I hope that current system is a temporary one.

Just imagine - you are alone in the wilderness and don't have any backpacks or vests, just your clothing. And by the chance you've found something useful for surviving but rather big to carry it in your pockets. (axe, machete, etc.) So you would need to carry it in your hands until you find another ways to keep it.

So... It will be good if you can carry large firearms only in hands until you find any kind of strap to attach or holster/weapon case.

And axes, pickaxes, pitchforks, shovels... carrying them on you back is nonsense. What about attaching primary large melee/tools only to large backpacks, smaller melee/tools to nearly all backpacks? And maybe we could use rope/strap as an attachment for small tools?

Wish to see changes maybe not now in 0.54, but at least in future.

Maybe this is not the right place for suggestions but I've created a ticket on feedback tracker so please vote up or down:

http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=22271

:rolleyes: If you want to.

So what do you guys think? :)

Edited by Zyryanoff
  • Like 1

Ultra realism. Realism is good until it gets to a point that the game becomes undesirable. You have to have redundancy somewhere.

• Like 2

I hold the opinion that melee weapons must either be carried inside a "container", like a backpack, strapped to the "container", held in a sheath (which, in turn, could be attached you your belt or to a backpack), or carried in the hand. 

Seeing things like axes and shovels get "stuck" to your back is stupid, and actually makes me slightly mad.

• Like 7

I think they should only remove that if they make it such that certain backpacks allow you to strap two items on the side.

I also believe you should be allowed to opt to carry two guns as opposed to 1 melee and 1 gun. 

A backpack plus some rope and any half wit can come up with a decent enough way to tie the items to the pack. 

• Like 2

I think they should add a school backpack, with water bottle slots on the sides, and allow you to rip the bottoms off of those to hang your weps on your back.

• Like 3

I hold the opinion that melee weapons must either be carried inside a "container", like a backpack, strapped to the "container", held in a sheath (which, in turn, could be attached you your belt or to a backpack), or carried in the hand. 

Seeing things like axes and shovels get "stuck" to your back is stupid, and actually makes me slightly mad.

I think they should only remove that if they make it such that certain backpacks allow you to strap two items on the side.

I also believe you should be allowed to opt to carry two guns as opposed to 1 melee and 1 gun. 

A backpack plus some rope and any half wit can come up with a decent enough way to tie the items to the pack. 

I agree.

Edited by Zyryanoff
  • Like 1

Definitely agree with you on this.

For guns i can kinda ignore it since making proper gun slings wouldn't work(or look dumb when not on your back) and having too many straps/ways to hold things would start to look silly. But for melee weapons i really would like to see a more realistic way of how it's actually on your back. It just looks so stupid now.

Edited by Chompster
  • Like 1

You should be able to carry two of anything you want, i.e. 2 rifles or 2 melee weapons, or 1 of each. The fact that you can't is just silly.

• Like 3

You should be able to carry two of anything you want, i.e. 2 rifles or 2 melee weapons, or 1 of each. The fact that you can't is just silly.

Wrong.  You can already but not in the instant swapping way that people want.

Wrong.  You can already but not in the instant swapping way that people want.

You can't carry two on your back, which is what I meant.

No 2 guns on your back, how stupid. The current system is fine - one your back and in your hands and yes to slings/straps for melee weapons - having things stuck on your back by magic looks ridiculous.

All weapons should have straps or sheaths and players should be able to carry (notice the word carry) several providing they are in a certain weight parameter.

I can carry about 8 or 10 full gunbags in RL, albeit not for great distances and to use one I would need to drop them...risking damage to them.

I'm not saying we should have the same mechanics in game but being able to carry 2 rifles and a large knife and backpack isn't really that much of an issue, many hunters and military personnel can manage this with ease.

Sheaths and gunbags should be craftable using hide, rope and a knife.

Many of you may play the games realism card on this one but I can assure you, I see this on a regular basis.

If you want to get picky on realism then why not discuss why you don't need to clean and treat hide when crafting ingame items or the abundance of hockey sticks and ice axes in a place with no ice or snow???

• Like 1

many hunters and military personnel can manage this with ease.

Carrying them isn't the problem, it's getting to them that is the issue when one sling is under another and no, they won't stay on either shoulder and you have all sorts of issues moving around - what people want is this

Press button 1 for my sniper rifle

Press button 2 for my assault rifle

Suffer none of the real life implications for using 2 weapons

No one says they both need to be on your back if they have slings/straps.

An assault rifle would be carried at the chest for easy or rapid access whereas a long barrel rifle would be over the shoulder.

The only problem i have with it is that there is no gunslings attached to them, i wouldn't mind to be able to carry two rifles on the back or two axes for that matter why now somebody would like to do that.

And about that, i see that people have commented above "how silly" when it comes to two rifles on the back, now how is that silly? I can carry two rifles over my shoulders in real life, hell i can carry four rifles over my shoulders "i agree not really practical though".

The axe/sword or other random melee weapons that is stuck to the back should instead be put on the outside of the backpack.

And when we are at it with realism and all that, who in their right mind puts their tent inside their backpack or even worse run around with it in their hands? ofc tents should be able to be strapped to the outside of the bigger backpacks.

I doubt to see it in the final game. However, I'm 100% sure we will get a mod (or mods) with gun straps, holsters, belts for melee, etc. That will either work as weapon attachments or apparel with specific, weapon only, sockets.

I assume a character has 9 slots - feet, legs, chest, "vest", head, eyes, hands, gun, melee.

If those slots are fully customizable and repositionable, it's a matter of hours to move e.g. the melee slot to the waist, make it accept only apparel of type e.g. "belt", slap a belt model (that would actually take more time to create) and make the belt accept only melee, much the same as the chest holster accepts only guns.

Edited by retro19

Make it modular like the smersh vest or platecarrier.

attachment made from 2 burlap and 2 rope wich can hold 1-2 rifles buit slows you down considerably, makes you morre clunky and way louder while moving around.

This Thing can be "worn" alongside whatever backpack.

Problem solved, thank me later

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel

It should be done that you can have only one on your back and you can change between the one on your back and hands or if you want to take something from your backpack etc on your hands when you have something already on your hands and back then the one in your hands is dropped.

So one back slot for any kind of weapons is my suggestion. When you want to do something you just need to drop the other weapon on the ground like in real life, then you drink, craft or whatever after that pick it up again manually. We just need more reliable item dropping system so it always drops on our feet and not 500m behind or through some object.

Slings have been suggested many times and the devs have said it's not going to happen. Regardless of this the current situation does need to change, having weapons glued to your back looks ridiculous. 

I think wearing a backpack being a requirement for weapon slots is a good compromise, the best option there is given the devs position.

• Like 1

I want there to be TONS AND TONS of sheets for machetes and leg/foot/back holsters for gunZ, so we can only carry stuff without putting it into our bag/hands if we have a holster for it, but i want to be able to wear all those holsters at once and be overloaded with weapons, that would be delicious, max realizm please!

(with a realistic spawnrate of those thingyZ ofcourse, for example ak sling thingys at millitary placeZ)

Edited by Homeschooliazon

They should definitely not eliminate it until they offer us much better options. Most modern assault rifles can be used in an assault sling like below which would not interfere with a gun slung over your shoulder. This would be an interesting addition to the game even if it took the place of some vests as long gave a person a few slots(say 2x2 to hold 2 mags) and then allowed you to attach something like an MP5, AK74U, MP-133 Shotgun with Pistol Grip, Sawed off Shotgun, or PM73-RAK. 

jersey-tactical-chalker-sling-front-600x

Most melee weapons should be carried on belt hooks and sheaths. 

Craft-Lore-Axe-Holster-5.jpg

I can see why they did it though since most backpacks, even civilian, have a place able to hold something like an axe as well as hiking poles and such which could be converted to  hold a gun. 

1-P1020829-001.jpg

Ultra realism. Realism is good until it gets to a point that the game becomes undesirable. You have to have redundancy somewhere.

Honestly in this case the lack of realism is undesirable. Those free slots really mess up the item balance and give unnecessary power to players in certain situations (for example freshspawns). In the current state of the game there are enough substitutes that could be used if not for the overbearing strength of those free slots. The best example are probably handguns that are more cumbersome than rifles as they require actual inventory space while longarms got a free spot reserved for them.

Also if people would not get free space for weapons you might actually find them ditching those for more immediately important items instead of having everyone armed to the teeth before they even found a backpack.