Sign in to follow this  
Whyherro123

Uses for bone

So, with the new .54 patch, we now have access to bone from animal kills. In real life, bone is a very useful material for survival, from bone awls and needles to knife,arrow, and spear blades. I propose that you can make many different tools from bone, all geared towards "primitive" survival purposes, in the sense that we would not have to enter a town in order to find the necessary gear  (leather sewing kits, regular sewing kits, fish-hooks, etc)

Arrows: Well, we already have bone arrows in .54, but the below just show how deadly a bone-tipped arrow can be.

In the second video, you can see that the bone arrowhead punches through the spinal column of the deer.

Knife/spear: bone can be made surprisingly durable and sharp, by boiling out the oils that exist inside normally.

Fish-hook: now, we also have bone fish-hooks in .54, but actually carving a hook like the one in-game is just asking to get your knife through the hand. In reality, using a "gorge" made from bone would be faster, easier, and actually more effective.

Needles and Awls:

Can be made to replace "modern" kits, to avoid going into town

• Like 6

I wish to do as my ancestors did and use the bones of my enemies to craft fishhooks in order to steal the mana of my hated enemies.  Or just so I can rock a necklace in game.

Bone_fish_hook_necklace.jpg

See that?  I made that from the last fresh spawn that tried to punch me in the back of the head and take my shit.

What about using a bone as a weapon like a club or getting a knife and sharpening the edge of a femur(easily comparable to the assains creed unity bone weapon).

You force me to walk a fine line without getting a warning point with this post :lol:

Adds a whole new dimension to the phrase "boning a carcass", does it not?

Sacha your mind.. I was thinking more of a dark tribal man with a bone through his nose, But we must be politically correct.

Hey....whatever keeps you alive and sane in the post-apocalypse is on you, mate. Just....don't do it on what I am planning on eating.

I wish to do as my ancestors did and use the bones of my enemies to craft fishhooks in order to steal the mana of my hated enemies.  Or just so I can rock a necklace in game.

Bone_fish_hook_necklace.jpg

See that?  I made that from the last fresh spawn that tried to punch me in the back of the head and take my shit.

Kapai cuzzy ;)

• Like 1

I am a little bit torn on the subject matter of crafting in Dayz. I really love doing it, but it seems to me, like it is too far apart from the gunplay you usually find in Dayz. I mean, it is fine to go out and hunt, craft your leather outfit and a pouch. Hunting could be fun with the different animal behaviour they are coding now (even though it is heavily WIP). Crafting just usually doesn't reward you, on the contrary, it puts you at a disadvantage. So you don't go doing a lot of stuff, like Prison Island and avoid the PvP areas in general, just because you feel at a disadvantage with the hunter gear.

I think there have to be perks for living life the crafting way. You should get a health boost and possibly a bit more speed, so you can outrun enemies. You should be making less sound when wearing moccasins and generally attract the zombies less. I know these are some rpg-ish character traits, but I really think the hunter characters should be treated differently from all other characters in the game. I like the idea of making stuff available to them in the wilderness, like you suggest (bone needles), etc. I'd go even further and say: add plants and herbal medicine to it. However, you can see how I can spin on and on about this, and I think the whole hunting subsystem is a gigantic effort to complete and a game by itself. I don't really see how to get these two gameplay styles (looting vs crafting) together, as the looting just seems so easy, in comparison.  

Does anyone know about bone meal?

It's a type of fertilizer made by using bone matter.

As a slow-release fertilizer, bone meal is primarily used as a source of phosphorus and protein.

I'm sure people that have spent some time playing Minecraft or Elder Scrolls know exactly what i'm talking about. :)

TESV_Bone_Meal.png