Sign in to follow this  
IgnobleBasterd

Drugs in Dayz? Inspired by Fallout

I was thinking that perhaps some kind of drug use/abuse system could be in place. With all the misery around, it doesn't seem too far fetched that people would turn to drugs, even if it is only alcohol. They could have some ups, but downs in the long run, and if you get addicted you would have to maintain your drug use or else suffer nasty withdrawal effects.

Thoughts?

EDIT

Shit, this was supposed to go in suggestions. Pehaps mod could move it? Dangit.

Edited by IgnobleBasterd

I was thinking that perhaps some kind of drug use/abuse system could be in place. With all the misery around, it doesn't seem too far fetched that people would turn to drugs, even if it is only alcohol. They could have some ups, but downs in the long run, and if you get addicted you would have to maintain your drug use or else suffer nasty withdrawal effects.

Thoughts?

EDIT

Shit, this was supposed to go in suggestions. Pehaps mod could move it? Dangit.

Moved, these never turn out productive but I'll give you 24 hours to make sense of it, carry on.

• Like 1

Moved, these never turn out productive but I'll give you 24 hours to make sense of it, carry on.

How do you mean? It is not as I have a "finished product", it was just something that came to my mind.

In Fallout 3/New Vegas (haven't played 1 or 2, sadly enough) there was various drugs you could use, which gave temporary buffs. However, there was quite a high risk of becoming addicted to them, which meant that if you didn't continue using that drug, you suffered debuffs as drawback symptoms.

Considering the life of a survivor is, or should be, quite a miserable one, I don't see it as unreasonable that many people would turn to drugs. Drugs doesn't really help homeless people in modern cities, but it temporarily takes away the pain.

Bear in mind that there is already painkillers in the game, which are addictive if taken too often (providing they aren't supposed to be aspirin, but then again aspirin doesn't help against gunshot wounds, which makes me assume that they are stronger stuff in the game, perhaps at least codeine which is metabolised to morphine inside ones body), so some kind of addiction to them could be a start.

I don't think one should be able to make too advanced drugs themselves. It is not likely that one would be able to set up a successful metamphetamine lab in a zombie apocalypse. Perhaps only alcoholic beverages and Cannabis Sativa should be able to make and grow ourselves, while heavier drugs would be rarely found at loot spawns.

If a mental breakdown system was implemented, for example from killing too many players or being wounded badly, alcohol/marijuana/hashish could be required to battle mental stress. However, being under the influense would of course have negative effects if you were attacked.

Something like:        mental breakdown -> drink -> negative effects lasting for 30 minutes -> being normal for a few hours -> mental breakdown -> drink -> negative effects, und so weider...

Amphetamine could perhaps increase stamina in some why, with the penalties of being dehydrated/starved more easily (which is not entirely unlikely considering one of IRL effects are decreased hunger).

I'm not for glorifying the drugs. I just think it kind of fits the setting.

They're trying to keep the game as realistic as possible (within reason of course).  Doing it the Fallout way where drinking a beer or bottle of whiskey would make you more personable, dumber, and stronger just doesn't fit in, especially since we don't have any sort of RPG like stat system.  The devs have already said time and again that they're not gonna implement some sort of 'mental state' system to try and prevent KOS (I mean look at Prion Disease.  How many posts of 'OMG WHY MY HANDS SHAKE AND DUDE LAUGH! CANT QUICKSCOPE!' did we have?).  Certain drugs I can see making an appearance to act as medicine (with penalties), IE Pot being a slightly less effective painkiller, or being used to treat nausea.  Although things like Meth being used to make you not hungry is not a good idea, Meth just makes you THINK your not hungry.

That said we should stay away from the more 'headliner' drugs like Meth.  Gives ammo to the anti-gamers (god forbid they give this game the same amount of 'scrutiny' as GTA. 'Rape Simulator' 'Torture Sim' 'Murder Sim' comes to mind).

SOME drugs I could see being implemented if done right and with significant advantages and disadvantages of there use for example:

Booze and High strength alcohol could be used as an improvised medical item in the way that it will numb the pain but make you bleed more profusely after a few minutes of drinking it. Plus you won't be able to aim at anything worthwhile if you have too much of it. Additionally you could use high strength alcohol to disinfect and sterilize certain items.

Stimulants could exist such as Amphetamine, Modafinil, Caffeine Tablets and Fenethylline (which is a milder form of Amphetamine) could perhaps like the OP said be used to increase stamina once a stamina system has been implemented (as of 0.54, the random weight numbers on items indicates a possible stamina system maybe experimented on). The downsides of repeated use of these would be an increased shake of the hands, showing signs of withdrawal of which certain drugs would give more severe results.

Further more, the dev's could simply just give them names such as "Stims" their strength in brackets. For example, Stim (Weak), Stim (Mild), Stim (Strong)

They're trying to keep the game as realistic as possible (within reason of course).  Although things like Meth being used to make you not hungry is not a good idea, Meth just makes you THINK your not hungry.

You misunderstood my point.

Amphetamine -> increased stamina, but decreases hunger, with makes you more vulnerable to death by starvation by perhaps the "hungry" status not showing up until it starts becoming really dangerous. Or something like that.

• Like 1

A few different types of mushrooms around chernarus and one is.. well you know magic.. better be careful.. Drugs is an interesting idea.. but not something I need to see anytime soon.. using pot as a mild pain relief is actually a good idea like mike said.. 

I really dont see the need of drugs in game but if they were to put in any type of drug ciggarete or magic mushrooms might be the best choise.

I really dont see the need of drugs in game but if they were to put in any type of drug ciggarete or magic mushrooms might be the best choise.

Considering there is painkillers in the game, there really is drugs in the game. Without negative effects, though. It should at least make you a bit slow.

(antibiotics is also a drug, though not the kind we're talking about)

Considering there is painkillers in the game, there really is drugs in the game. Without negative effects, though. It should at least make you a bit slow.

(antibiotics is also a drug, though not the kind we're talking about)

if they want to put in medical drugs then go ahead but I'm talking bad drugs like crack we really don't need those. I thought of another one tobbaco.

I enjoyed the fallout system aswell.

I wouldnt mind having certain types of drugs that could lead my character to possible addiction. Not really crack like drugs, more like old, outdated stuff such as speed/Amphetamines that were widely used by pilots in ww2 for example. I wouldnt mind if they use made-up names for the sake of not promoting drugs. As the posts above said it, it should come with some drawbacks.

-> increased stamina, but decreases hunger, with makes you more vulnerable to death by starvation by perhaps the "hungry" status not showing up until it starts becoming really dangerous.

add severe fluid loss and we're set. This is exactly how it would go IRL.

P.S I thought Vodka was already confirmed? Surely we wont be able to drink it without any consequences?

Edited by halp