Sign in to follow this  
Tigermonk

usable items

I was thinking about the idea of specific items in DayZ, we all know people trade off AK rounds/mags and so on..
but in a real life situation.. (or roleplay senario) I was thinking about luxury goods such as:

- Cigarettes
- alcohol
- Coffee

as trading wares and usable items. example:

you find a pack of cigarettes that contain lets say 21 pieces (EU standard)
you'd right click it and you could smoke a cigarette. this would be a good trading product for various reasons.

If everything goes down, the first thing to fall (along with general order) is currency.
but since ammo should be in short supply (currently not the case for most types) it should be a last resort to trading.

Alcohol (home grown?) should be a more accessible form of merchandise for trading and bardering.
the same goes for cigarettes. this would (for example on the server where I play) give certain groups that horde a lot of stuff
a general purpose. becoming a kind of go-to store when people have addictions (smokers etc.) or just want something other than soda and water to drink.. 

I think the alcohol shouldn't be to hard to make since we already have soda cans etc.
as for the coffee.. those could be planted the same way as tomato's/pumpkins for example.. crush them with a stone and mix in with (hot?) water to make coffee
that gives you a small boost in (if it gets implemented) stamina 

I personally think with all the new stuff you guys are adding.. simple things like these would do wonders for the RP community DayZ has (DayZRP/[Falcon] DayZ SA Roleplay & Realism)
it would make the game more realistic, it would also create new opportunities for players to go out and explore more thus interaction with the surroundings rather than rushing through buildings looking for a can of beans then leave..

regards,

Tigermonk (member of [Falcon] DayZ SA Roleplay & Realism)

Its cool if a cigarette has the effect to stop hunger for a short time.

But you can drink alcohol already?

Its cool if a cigarette has the effect to stop hunger for a short time.

But you can drink alcohol already?

you can indeed drink alcohol.. only thing is.. has no effect on your system/character so that kinda sucks.. the kvass is beer I think.. but I'd think it's cool if they implement something like blurry vision after drinking several of those or message system/black outs if you drink like 10-15 of those cans

Kvass is not a beer! Where i come from it is popular drink! But when i play i like to imagine that it is beer and usualy drink it at campfire... :)

This is an intressting idea, but its pretty hard to implement...

What you say about the ammo as currency is definitely right and I won't argue with that, but they can't just throw cigarettes in and expect the players to use it as trading-items...

These items need good reasons to be used. The suggestion that cigarettes could stop hunger for a short time would be a start, but i don't think i would use them, since there are (and will be) enough food to find and hunt.

in case of alcohol, I really can't see what positive effects it would bring me, when I'm drunk in the apocalypse.

Coffee woulld be a good idea, thogh! Since coffee has the effect of a short-term starmina boost, it would provide a good reason to use it, and the side-effects aren't a huge problem, since you simply get tired after the effect wore off, or maybe worst case you get addicted. (which isn't a really big deal in case of coffee)

In an RP perspective it's certainly something i would add, but the majority of DayZ-Players aren't RP-ers, and even then they think before they use.

I mean, I'm an RP Player and a smoker IRL but i wouldn't  use cigarettes in game, since there are much more negative effects than positive ones. (addiction, increased stamina loss, higher visability at night ect.)

I think we need something that is usefull, but not OP, so it wouldn't really matter when we trade it.

Like I said, coffee would be a good Idea, but that about it...

But I'm sure some brilliant mind will come up with more and even better Ideas for this kind of stuff ^^

See ya in Chernarus ^^

Stay save!

P.S.: Dinking acohol tincture has an effect...you get sick... so don't drink alcohol in the Zombie-Apokalypse, kids ^^