xhiril

Open discourse about hoarding.

Duping? Devs are working on that.

Hoarding? Nothing should be done about it. Personally, I always carry as much ammo, morphine, mags, weapons and so forth that I can possibly find. I will also glad strip down a M4 or other weapons I find, and either drop them off in the middle of a field or simply throw them into water or such. Don't like it? Tough luck. I am not exploiting or cheating in any way, and if you don't like it; Get a private shard and sit in your bubble.

And no, constantly hoarding and gearing up again isn't a problem, between the countless bugs, superman zombies and players, the weekly resets aren't a worry for me. Infact, neither are the bugs nor players.

Edited by Santa fox
  • Like 2

Duping? Devs are working on that.

Hoarding? Nothing should be done about it. Personally, I always carry as much ammo, morphine, mags, weapons and so forth that I can possibly find. I will also glad strip down a M4 or other weapons I find, and either drop them off in the middle of a field or simply throw them into water or such. Don't like it? Tough luck. I am not exploiting or cheating in any way, and if you don't like it; Get a private shard and sit in your bubble.

Glad to see another like minded person. I do the same when I find stuff that I cannot carry that I do not want other people having. Strip it and dump it in the woods or the ocean.

Beans for you Sir!

What's motivating people to do hoarding when it's all lost (what you don't carry) once a week? Kinda tedious no? I might be a hoarder myself if/when stuff is truly persistent. As it is now there's no use in having stuff you can't carry on wednesday.

If I die during the week I can regear at my tent.

I can also trade it away for stuff I have not found and could take me hours of searching.

I found 9 m4s this week I traded them all away for crap I could of spent hours searching for..

This allowed me to play the game the way I want with the gear I prefer as opposed to searching high and low for it.

• Like 1

There is a big difference between hoarding and manipulating bugs in the game. I read an account not too long ago that a player submitted a bug report because his character had become unresponsive, or doing something crazy; I can't recall all of the details at the moment. When the devs checked into the issue, they found that he had lots of duped gear ... vests inside of vests, inside of vests, etc. I think they counted 5,000 items in his inventory. My recollection is that the devs have, or plan to implement sanity checks so that this kind of thing can't happen again, because not only is it cheating, but it puts an immense load on the servers and it causes performance issues for all of us.

There is a big difference between hoarding and manipulating bugs in the game. I read an account not too long ago that a player submitted a bug report because his character had become unresponsive, or doing something crazy; I can't recall all of the details at the moment. When the devs checked into the issue, they found that he had lots of duped gear ... vests inside of vests, inside of vests, etc. I think they counted 5,000 items in his inventory. My recollection is that the devs have, or plan to implement sanity checks so that this kind of thing can't happen again, because not only is it cheating, but it puts an immense load on the servers and it causes performance issues for all of us.

5,000 items...? Can you imagine stumbling upon that guy and killing him? You'd be digging through his stuff for an eternity. What could you possibly need after even 100 items? Or was each individual round included in this count?

For me I normally go into a new life with a plan, or want kind of config I want to have on my avatar. Example in .53 stable and .52 I went with sort of a wookie survivalist type build. I then loot til I get close to what I want then stop. If some of my gear is ruined or something or I simply need food, I will then loot again, to get what I need then stop.

The reason I dont over loot is beacuse is simply becuase its a dangerous activity in dayz to loot in say a military base. Or in a city on a higher pop server. Even though you may think your good, you putting your self in a level of risk and without knowing lowering your guard. Becuase your focus shifts to looking for items vs scaning and paying attention to other players. At least in my case. In fact almost every time I have died in dayz it has been inside of military bases, or inside populated citys. I found by just going after the kit then avoid high loot drop areas, or be on the outside looking in, I have cut down drasticly on my own avatar dieing and have got the drop on other players with out them knowing Im there. It works super well for me playing that way. I have more of a pvp advantage and survive much longer that way. Before last wipe I had a avatar alive on 3pp for 2.5 months, my shortest life was 3 days on a 1pp, that was becuase of playing just for the sake of pvping. .53 I have not died once on 3pp. I haven't played .54 stable yet.  

I think being a hoarder can get you shot. Even on low pops. I know for a fact there are players that camp military bases and hunt server hopers. Its true. But in some case legit hoarders can be helpful by stashing gear and helping other players there freinds to get the gear they need. So its kind of a double edged sword.

What is the measure of sucess in dayz is it to have the coolest gear? Is it to survive as long as you can? Is it to just have fun with your freinds? Is it just for a quick thrill pvp? I guess really its up to the player to decide.. 

Edited by CJFlint

When was the last time you accidently duped something ?

Yesterday, I'm afraid. You can very unwittingly dupe an item in game and it scares the bejezus out of me.

If I die during the week I can regear at my tent.

This allowed me to play the game the way I want with the gear I prefer as opposed to searching high and low for it.

Fair enough. But do you go to your tent, empty it, pack it up and carry it every tuesday night?

Edited by Bunkers

Fair enough. But do you go to your tent, empty it, pack it up and carry it every tuesday night?

Yes

I think if I ever got to the point were I felt I need to dup or cheat, I would just stop playing. It complelty defeats the perpose of dayz. Its ment to be a "hardcore surivival game". By design your objective is to survive. Wether pvping, looting, hunting, crafting ect ect. Its not ment to be easy, the fun is the challenge of that. Duping gear and cheating is not only wrecking the way the game was designed to be played, your also ruining or tainting other peoples game play.  

Hoarding......I dont do it. But in way testing persistants probably helps out the game in the long run. So like I said its a double edged sword. My feeling is I dont care if thats how you play, I just dont do it my self.

Edited by CJFlint

the whole point of the game is to hoard items, just not by bugging the loot system. 

No, the whole point of this game is to survive. Duping things and stashing them in a tent removes survival almost entirely.

In my opinion, tents shouldn't be able to stash gear. Instead, you log out inside a tent, when you log back in to some slightly  buffed statuses, to represent you sleeping out away from the cold and the wet. (Of course, handbuild shelters would offer the same bonuses, they would just take longer and more materials to build/set up, and can't be carried with you)

Want to stash something for later? Put it inside a small protector case or (new item imagined by me) a large protector case. As we know, (small) protector cases are 2x3 slots, and large protector cases could be 6x10 (or however large they have to be to hold a single longarm) Throw things you want to keep inside the protector cases, and leave them somewhere for a "rainy day" (may, or may not be, literal). Of course, this means you could only really stash some ammo, some food, some dry clothes, matches, medicine, etc, and even then, not really a HOARD, just enough to survive with. Of course, both protector cases would be bright neon colors (yellow?), so you would have to hide them, either by burying or stashing them in a tree.

This way, when you die, depending on how prepared and thorough you were in the previous life, you could get a small jump start: some food, some tools, maybe a firearm (but the larger protector cases would be rare as FUCK). Not enough to outfit the whole CHEDAKI revolutionary front with assault rifles, but a small survival stash.

Oh, and forget where you stashed it? Too bad. Better make a lot of stashes, as you can spawn anywhere on the coast!

I REALLY dislike the whole "TENTS FULL O' GUNS" mentality the playerbase has.

• Like 3

I try to stay positive on these forums, but let me offer this:

I think you are a hoarding, selfish douche. This is your right though, because the game designers aren't prioritizing preventing this, they are busy doing <something else>. If you want to be a loser who hoards stuff you don't use, which means other players cant enjoy it, by all means. We certainly can't stop you. Also I hope you get AIDS.

Wow, really? Hoarding is the entire point of the game, <expletive>. That, and killing other people.

Do you expect people to just loll around Chernarus being nice to everyone they encounter and feeling guilty for looting military equipment? If my bags are full of stuff I took the time to loot, you're fucking right I'm going to head back to my tent.

If we weren't meant to hoard, why the fuck would they have implemented item persistence? So we could make a base and sit in it with a thumb up our <expletive>?

/facepalm

Ha with good ol' BattleEye, you don't have to worry about doing anything to get banned lol.

Sometimes it will just happen for no reason xD

I can attest to this.

I try to stay positive on these forums, but let me offer this:

I think you are a hoarding, selfish douche. This is your right though, because the game designers aren't prioritizing preventing this, they are busy doing <something else>. If you want to be a loser who hoards stuff you don't use, which means other players cant enjoy it, by all means. We certainly can't stop you. Also I hope you get AIDS.

Lol wow... I'm pretty sure a major feature implemented by the game designers was the ability to make camp and store gear. They will never "prevent" this... Ever..

Hope you never find our camp or you may die from a heart attack or brain aneurysm if one guys camp makes you rage that much.

People are overlooking that no camp is safe..

I had a friend who came back one day to find the while thing was stolen.

So u risk losing ur gear either way.. It depends on how you manage that risk.

I prefer to only go on loot runs or drive trucks with minimal gear. I keep a looter set and take a gun I don't mind losing.

This way if I do die I can get my gear back. Nothing wrong with this cause I could come back to find my tent ransacked.

This has allowed me to enjoy pvp more.

If other players want to have the lose it all mentality then by all means...but this allows me to play in more roles. TTo each their own is what a discourse on hoarding comes down to...

Though it sounds like many would like there to be 0 storing of gear.

Though from my understanding you can expect more and more as time moves on.

• Like 1

I dont know, seems lame to me to grab gear you dont need, just keeps it out of other players hands everywhere on the public node.

Just seems like bad sportsmanship to me.

• Like 1

I dont know, seems lame to me to grab gear you dont need, just keeps it out of other players hands everywhere on the public node.

Just seems like bad sportsmanship to me.

i give my gear to my friends if i dont trade it...very little goes to waste.

Why should we let other players have better gear to kill us with?

What are the odds if you saw me geared to the nines leaving vybor mil base and u found a pris akm with 75 round drum mag that u would not promptly pick it up and kill me with it?

Hoerders and dupers I always find these guys. Hoarders I don't see whats wrong with them I end finding them or there camps. Dupers well there back and I see them using there fancy methods I've duped before but it was on accident. If I kill dupers I'm gonna take all the gear I need and they usually get me a SMERSH vest or heli guns(excluding m4 oddly I've killed over 20 dupers over the past month and none had m4s but many augs).hopefully one day duping along with server hopping and hacking gets destroyed.

Trev why do you bother explaining stuff that narrow minded guy? He clearly doesn't know what hoarding is. You are allowed to play this game however you want. Also harding / camps / stashing is a key role of survival.

Every wednesday I have stuff more than I carry. These all get deleted. It's high end gear too, not low end. I am not selfish? I can give all this stuff, but who is willing to take? Who trusts others?

We left 2 m4s and lots of mags behind at Tuesday night.

This is how this game is meant to be played. The key role of survival is stockpiling.

Edited by Yazar8
  • Like 1

Hoerders and dupers I always find these guys. Hoarders I don't see whats wrong with them I end finding them or there camps. Dupers well there back and I see them using there fancy methods I've duped before but it was on accident. If I kill dupers I'm gonna take all the gear I need and they usually get me a SMERSH vest or heli guns(excluding m4 oddly I've killed over 20 dupers over the past month and none had m4s but many augs).hopefully one day duping along with server hopping and hacking gets destroyed.

How exactly do you know someone duped their gun? I always find this type of post amusing.

• Like 1

Trev why do you bother explaining stuff that narrow minded guy? He clearly doesn't know what hoarding is. You are allowed to play this game however you want. Also harding / camps / stashing is a key role of survival.

Every wednesday I have stuff more than I carry. These all get deleted. It's high end gear too, not low end. I am not selfish? I can give all this stuff, but who is willing to take? Who trusts others?

We left 2 m4s and lots of mags behind at Tuesday night.

This is how this game is meant to be played. The key role of survival is stockpiling.

Are you really that arrogant you have the nerve to say "This is how this game is meant to be played"? Ego much? Last I checked you weren't Dean Hall.

How exactly do you know someone duped their gun? I always find this type of post amusing.

idk they dupe there entire body some people do for gear some on accident. A new way of duping has found in .53 so thats about that. Dupers are back.

PS usually find there duplicate body before I suspect duping I usually find them in green mountain or I see a guy i spy on him for a couple min and see if he dupes.

Edited by DaNic2553

Are you really that arrogant you have the nerve to say "This is how this game is meant to be played"? Ego much? Last I checked you weren't Dean Hall.

This is Dean Hall using his undercover forum account and you sir, don't know how to play my game.

If this game was not meant to be played like this then I would not come with the persistence idea. Ofcourse you can play my game however you want, just like the Hero-Bandit decision. But this is how I wanted to design this game.

Arrogant? You tell a fellow member from the forums to get AIDS and I am arrogant? What is your problem man? Also whats your playstyle?

Edited by Yazar8