xhiril

Open discourse about hoarding.

So I recently was perusing reddit on my lunch hour and was noticing a higher than normal amount of posts RE: hoarders/dupers. I saw a few posts like

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/2ww6kz/we_found_the_camp_of_all_camps_unlucky_ggc_swat/

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/2wuvc2/jackpot_near_svetlo/

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/2wx8x6/dupers_are_back_dayz_standalone/

I know hoarding/duping is something most of the playerbase wants to combat. What can we really do though? I actually had the same run-in with the players mentioned in the first link, and after killing 2/3 and running and escaping, I got booted from server for no reason. What can we as players do to combat this behavior? Email devs directly? Report servers? Make youtube videos? Post here?

Any help people can offer to combat this stuff is appreciated, I want to do what I can to help stop this crap if I can.

It seems like the Bohemia team could benefit from some BI. A report (like Eugene's heat map of deaths) that show military/combat loot, by spot, wouldnt hurt. That way if the developers see one or two servers where a ton of loot is congregating, they could act and do something.

Thoughts? Advice? Any info or feedback appreciate as long as it is helpful :)

Edited by xhiril
  • Like 1

I think with unique item IDs coming into play, automatic deletion of those items would be enough. Banning players with those items could ban innocents who picked up duped items, either by knowing it or not. 

Once duping becomes pointless people will stop attempting to do it. 

• Like 1

I think with unique item IDs coming into play, automatic deletion of those items would be enough. Banning players with those items could ban innocents who picked up duped items, either by knowing it or not. 

Once duping becomes pointless people will stop attempting to do it. 

this.

Alas if People willingly duplicate they shall be puinished. People beign "affrait" of beign "accidently" banned for duping lie. When was the last time you accidently duped something ?

this.

Alas if People willingly duplicate they shall be puinished. People beign "affrait" of beign "accidently" banned for duping lie. When was the last time you accidently duped something ?

It's not about accidentally duping things. It's about banning a player who picked up an item that was dupicated. Dupers will die. It's only a matter of time, and all the items that they duplicate will be taken by their killer or spread out among the group that killed the duper. 

If I kill a duper, I'm taking his M4. Just because he duped it doesn't mean I shouldn't take it. Even if I knew that his item was "cheated" in, I'm taking it. There is no reason for me to assume that somebody with a better gun than mine is a duper. I'm not going to go around hiding every body of every victim of mine to live in fear that I might one day pick up somebody's duplicated box of 7.62's and get slammed with a ban. 

Well i think it was allready established that picking up duped stuff wont net you a ban. Cant find the official Quote right now but it was from eugene.

this.

Two times already in 0.53. It happened so easily that I wonder why not everyone has the same gear.

Two times already in 0.53. It happened so easily that I wonder why not everyone has the same gear.

THIS Sound a tat shady....especialy the last part ;)

regardless..i never had it happen since AGES and i aim at almost 1000h playing SA right now.

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel
  • Like 1

This was touched on by eugene and Boneboys about 6-9 months ago.  People holding duped gear aren't in immediate danger, but people duping gear will be shot on sight.

If you see people doing it, you can report them via the regular methods in sticky etc (alongside hacking) but you'll need proof and information regarding player, time, server etc...

This shouldn't be a witchhunt, but if you want to name people do it professionally as there's a chance that the person isn't a duper (though most people should know that an item with 10e1231251242321 rounds in it is outside normal item graphic descriptions.

TBH i haven't played much recently only just got back in, but i don't think i've ever seen a duper and have had difficulty defining hackers in the AUS servers I play in.

To flog the old horse, this is Alpha, so if you do find methods to dupe please report them as i'm sure the devs will be quite eager to stamp it out.  I'd wager they're not after a guy who may have picked up 1x longhorn that he accidently dropped and duped somehow accidentally, but if you're spreading them among groups and doing it constantly, becoming the 'big fish' authorities like to talk about you may draw the eye of sauron.

Edited by q.S Sachiel

what does hoarding mean? kollecting as much gear as possible ( that would be legit in my opinion ) or is it something forbidden ? 

what does hoarding mean? kollecting as much gear as possible ( that would be legit in my opinion ) or is it something forbidden ? 

Hello there

There's nothing wrong with legitimately hoarding.

If there are exploits involved then its very naughty.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 5

I stock pile spare gear in a tent.. If people don't like that then too bad

No cheats are done but by the end of the week I had at least one of each gun and tons of vests and other items.

I pack up what I can and let the rest despawn.

My tent is always in danger of being found.

If the Reddit folks have an issue with that they can get a life..

• Like 2

I stock pile spare gear in a tent.. If people don't like that then too bad

No cheats are done but by the end of the week I had at least one of each gun and tons of vests and other items.

I try to stay positive on these forums, but let me offer this:

I think you are a hoarding, selfish douche. This is your right though, because the game designers aren't prioritizing preventing this, they are busy doing <something else>. If you want to be a loser who hoards stuff you don't use, which means other players cant enjoy it, by all means. We certainly can't stop you. Also I hope you get AIDS.

I think you are a hoarding, selfish douche. This is your right though, because the game designers aren't prioritizing preventing this, they are busy doing <something else>. If you want to be a loser who hoards stuff you don't use, which means other players cant enjoy it, by all means. We certainly can't stop you. Also I hope you get AIDS.

Um so what are tents supposed to be used for? If anything we will be able to store more gear since the tent only lets us use 100 of the 252 slots. 

Me having the gear does not mean other players cannot enjoy it. I primarily play on two servers (ashes of NYC). Loot respawns on the persit version & the vanilla is reset every 4 hours.

Me stashing myself some gear for trading and fun does not hurt anyone.

Instead it allows me to come in and say "hell let's roll repeater for kicks". Without a tent id always have my M4 and AK101 with me and I would never drop one for a repeater....so if anything the tent opens players up to more game play options. 

Your the one who sounds selfish. Why are others entitled to any of the gear I have worked to stock up? If they want it they should kill me while I am looting. 

The Mod had even more ways to store gear and from what i have read in the devblogs since release they intend on adding more and more options to stash stuff. 

Edited by trev186
  • Like 1

this.

I accidentally duped a bag last week on a server reset.  It was a mountain backpack with an MP5 and a couple AK magazines, as well as a magnum.  The MP5 was lost to the bag gnomes.

Never stack an item more than one space tall near the top of a bagged weapon or any other boxy item. Servers read bag contents from left to right, one row at a time; so anything sticking up to the right of a larger item will be placed in bag first, and take up the shape in bag space that the larger item needs.

I'm sure that most people playing as a hoarder would give you anything you ask for, but I have a feeling you're not the type to ask.

Hell, if you show you can be trusted, I'll go pick you up at the coast with a backpack full of food, water, rags, and ammunition--and an extra mosin, sawn or otherwise.

I'm sure that nobody wants any of those tactical shirts I tore up for my stockpile of rags to soak damage before my pistol in the shirt gets hurt.  But they won't find any Gorka either.

Shtuff gets ruined from time to time, and I like being able to know where some more is for sure, it helps with the livin.

why should the game designers do anything to prevent some guy stuffing a tent? he found it.. it's his stuff.

• Like 1

Wow calling someone out for hording items in a tent? geez next you will call him a hacker.

• Like 1

this.

Ha with good ol' BattleEye, you don't have to worry about doing anything to get banned lol.

Sometimes it will just happen for no reason xD

Sometimes it will just happen for no reason xD

Dammit...is it Karma based now ? if so iam screwed... :D

I used to get fully geared then take what ever I could carry to the coast and give it away to fresh spawns. I would offer people food and guns for no apparent reason other than to share and be nice.

Since coming onto these forums and reading posts like this I have started to KOS most people and I don't feel an ounce of remorse, Want to know why? I might be killing someone from the forum and that makes me feel real good.

Going to hoard everything in my spoiler

cw2tUM9.jpgrrHFxCz.jpgYTTYHri.jpg

Edited by Jesus Christ The Goblin

What's motivating people to do hoarding when it's all lost (what you don't carry) once a week? Kinda tedious no? I might be a hoarder myself if/when stuff is truly persistent. As it is now there's no use in having stuff you can't carry on wednesday.

Edited by Bunkers