Light Machine Guns and WW2 guns

25 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like these weapons?

• Yes, everything.
    • Yes, but only the LMGs.
    • yes, but only the WW2 weapons.
    • No. (please tell why)
    • GTFO.

I`ve been playing as the support class on most games latelly and i found the light machine guns quite useful and fun to play whit. I thougth it could be a good idea if some of these guns could be added in the future. RPK ,PKM, RPD, MK48 (heli crash), M240 (heli crash) M249 (heli crash). And maybe more guns from world war 2, like the german guns: Kar98, MG34, mkb42, G41, MP40, mauser C36. And more ww2 russian guns: nagant 1895, SVT-40, PPSH41, TT33 (tokarev).

Edited by Skully172

I believe there was a discussion to add one light machine gun....

And honestly, I'd prefer it to stay that way - two could do too ofc -. Right now, people are already running around with M4's and AK's with insanely large magazines.
Having something like a light machine gun, would be be to creazy. They would naturally have a bipod, low recoil and high fire rate... 

Don't you think?

The Garand and K98 have both been modeled (I think) and shown off.  One Dev would like to add a 9mm version of the C96 (I assume that's what you meant?).

Generally they're trying to keep the number of calibers low, so we don't have say 92 guns and 82 different calibers.

I am somewhat against machine guns being added, but I'm sure they're going to be added in anyway, hopefully with some sort of restriction on them so noobs won't be running around with a PKM and treating it like an AK74.  They should be something special, that's kept in the base for when shit hits the walls, or you want to throw shit at someone else's wall.

Why would you expect that automatic weapons that were out of service for 50+ years are to be found in functioning condition?

K98 would probably be converted to 30-06 or .308 as the Mosin and could have survived as a huntingrifle. K98 would be leftovers from WWII, but were Garands delivered there as part of the Lend-Lease or how would they get there in  greater numbers?

Boltactionrifles would be more likely to function after so many years compared to semi/automatic ones.

Edited by Bruderlos

Why would you expect that automatic weapons that were out of service for 50+ years are to be found in functioning condition?

K98 would probably be converted to 30-06 or .308 as the Mosin and could have survived as a huntingrifle. K98 would be leftovers from WWII, but were Garands delivered there as part of the Lend-Lease or how would they get there in  greater numbers?

Boltactionrifles would be more likely to function after so many years compared to semi/automatic ones.

Mosin isn't really canonically converted in the game, it's just that they haven't gotten around to making 7.62x54mmR and .308 as two separate ammunition rounds.

As for the machine guns, most of those are fine, but the MK48 isn't really necessary with the M240 and M249 and is less realistic. The PKM, MK48, and M240 aren't LMGs, though. They're general purpose machine guns (GPMGs) because they fire a full-sized rifle cartridge rather than an intermediate round like the RPK, PKM, and M249 do.

KAR-98, MG34, MP40, and Mauser C96 are acceptable, but the MG34 would be far less realistic than an MG42, which in turn is less realistic than the modern MG-3, which additionally uses 7.62x51mm/.308 rounds rather than 7.92x57mm which is unlikely to be added (unfortunately means KAR-98 is unlikely, too). MP40 and C96 can be added without a new caliber. The Gewehr 41 and MKb-42 were much less common than their later versions (G43 and StG-44) and there's no real reason to have them, especially considering caliber limitations.

The Soviet WW2 weapons would be great but if I recall the Nagant revolver has been specifically declined because it fires a specific cartridge.

I would love to see the G41 with the clips loaded in the top or the later G43 with detachable mag.. fuck it I'd love to see BOTH

Still cannot see what good it would add to the game as an experience that you would not find in a gazillion of other games. I would rather see 3 different kind of bows before they add more automatic firearms. But that's just me then.

• Like 1

They shouldn't add WW1/2 weapons (or their modernised versions, looking at you MG3) just because someone wants to use their favorite guns from Red Orchestra in DayZ. They should only add them if they belong in Chernarus and in the limited weapons list, so from this list TT33, K98k, perhaps SVT40, M1895, maybe even PPSh. No Garand, nor C96, MG34, etc. Machine guns should be in with PKM as highest priority since it would be the most common, kind of iffy since many players get mad at "OP military weapons".

• Like 2

Yes. Mg 34 is not that great to have in game but mg 3 is much better since its still in service. Pkm is probably the best choose for an lmg or general purpose mg or what ever you want to call it m249 saw should be a heli loot spawn and m60 can spawn along with it. As for other ww2 weapons any German weapons really don't need there appearance as much but Russian and chezk can come in just fine as well as american. Svt 40, dp 28, tt33, ppsh 41 and other ones would fit in fine for civilian spawn locations. As for other ones that are american garand will most likely make its appearance as c96 later on in deveplment m1 is on the wishlist I believe c96 is being mentioned by devs from time to time. Ww2 mgs don't need there apperence unless there still in service or there can be there modernzined variants. If there would to add in any of these I would choose these.

1-svt-40

2-ppsh 41

3-TT 33

4-mg 3

5-m60

6-c96

7-nagant revolver

8-m1 garand.

You should probably use the search function bud this has been suggested at the very least a few dozen times.

We really could use some MGs as it will cause players to spend their hoarded ammo. Links could be a commodity. American M249s and M240s use reuseable disintegrating links and their European counterparts the FN minimi and Mag 58 use non disintegrating cloth belts, however there is a conversion kit for the American versions to accept euro belts. Also the M249 can accept STANNAGs and use them reliably contray to the myth that the M249s have feeding issues with magazines.

We really could use some MGs as it will cause players to spend their hoarded ammo. Links could be a commodity. American M249s and M240s use reuseable disintegrating links and their European counterparts the FN minimi and Mag 58 use non disintegrating cloth belts, however there is a conversion kit for the American versions to accept euro belts. Also the M249 can accept STANNAGs and use them reliably contray to the myth that the M249s have feeding issues with magazines.

agreed but the devs are working making not all guns spawning pristine and damaged gun or rounds don't have as good efficiency. Guns from crashes will most likely be damaged so it won't work as well unless cleaned. The guns suggested fit fine except the mg 42(mg 3 or mg 74 better) and the mg 34. Mgs will make a good endgame gun to use after other things are developed but don't forget about these.

I don't see many machine guns being added period. Most will likely be very rare and/or vehicle mounted. The most common ones I could see spawning at Military Locations and Eastern Crash sites is the RPK series, both the 7,62x39mm and the RPK-74 in 5,45x39mm. Many of the magazines for AK's are compatible with the RPK and inversely so is the AK series.

Other MG's I could see is the PKM and DP-28, the DP-28 being the closest to a World War 2 MG your gonna get. The PKM is likely gonna be vehicle mounted, if it can be shoulder fired I'd imagine there are some serious constraints with using it such as the planned stamina and weight system as well as ammunition and spare parts.

Western LMG's I could see existing is the HBAR variant of the AUG, the LMG variant of the HK416 (designated M27 IAR by Marines), M249 SAW (or FN Minimi) and the M240 (or FN MAG). Likely only spawn at Western Helicopter Crash Sites. Perhaps even an M60, IF they wanted just a simple MG.

I'd prefer these weapons staying rare, the only real "shoulder fired" ones would be the RPK series, AUG HBAR and M27 essientially being an LMG version of an Assault Rifle.