How do you look back while running and

How do you like aim your gun at something and go in 3rd person and look around while still having your gun forward same with running run forward look back while still forward or like running away from a gunfight and run away while looking back. Got a video. I see a answer for this but its like code idk where to place that code.http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/263691/look-behind-me-while-still-moving-forward.html

Edited by Guest

In key bindings - 'Look Down Left' and 'Look Down Right'  are the movements that actually make you look back over your left or right shoulder - set those 2 bindings to any keys you like.

try it out

I use my number pad for movement (I'm left handed), so I put those two movements onto keys 1 and 3 on the number pad

then I use 8 and 5 for Forward / Back (double tap 8 for fast forward) 4 and 6 for strafe left/strafe right, and 7 and 9 for 'Look Left' and 'Look Right' (those make you look about 45° to the left side or right side)

Also keypad 2 for crouch, double tap 2 for stand

together with the mouse, that's all I need

so you can be running with one key pressed down, and at the same time press one more key (next to it) with the same hand - to look back while you're running, then move one finger to look sideways while you're running, etc.. makes life easy

- ps - I moved "interact" to the mouswheel press button - this makes it a whole damn sight easier opening and shutting doors while you're changing direction (running), and easy to snatch loot too

xx pilgrim

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

Be mindful of the double tap freelook, as it will keep you in that mode until you double tap again. Can be a bit confusing if you do it accidentally and suddenly you can't change direction. :)

• Like 2

Be mindful of the double tap freelook, as it will keep you in that mode until you double tap again. Can be a bit confusing if you do it accidentally and suddenly you can't change direction. :)

(edited a bit, to get it right)

ah  true.. - I forgot to say above, I put toggle freelook onto the " * " key on the number pad - one press it's on, one press again and it's off. And toggle "first person/3d person" I put on "Number pad ENTER "  - so I've got everything there that I need for movement and view except "lie down" which is still where it always was. For me,  I think of freelook as like freezing your body motionless - Having Freelook and 1st/3d view close together (and single press) is useful when you're taking cover or hiding in bushes for instance..  Get in the bush or behind a wall and do an (almost) 360 around you, and also-  without moving look at yourself from all around, see what is showing - you can do any of this quickly and switch around fast, just with one hand.

[edit - I put the "take aim" (look down sights) toggle on number pad "0", and also have it on the Mouse Right Button. With this setup you can do almost any movement and scan fast, take cover, aim, change 1st/3d, zoom in or our -  zoom in and zoom out are already on number pad "+" and "- " standard, if I remember correctly. If they aren't, put them there.

i just ADD these key-presses on top of the standard ones that already do that action, unless they conflict with something I need.. Using the number pad makes this fairly easy.. I guess you could do the same on the left side of the keyboard, around the standard movement keys, but it might take a little more thought (I never tried it)

I was experimenting with a one key press crouch, and double press same key to lie down, then the key for fast forward did double press for "stand up and fast forward"  in one movement, so you could go from lying flat into a forward spring with a double tap.. but this made the 'normal forward/fast forward' more complicated for fingering, so I didnt check it out much.. there was a kind of hesitation in the double tap to "stand up from lying and start running".. the way I did it above worked better. (and generally I don't lie down a lot when things are urgent, so I have time to move my hand down the keyboard.) Only things like, "Lie down" "map" "reload" are still in the middle of the board. In action, I have my fingers placed where I need them, and moving only one finger to the next key gets me all the other actions I need.

Main thing is to get used to the keys, right?  Once you're happy, don't ever change them. 

but Yes, Sheeeee..t   -  before I changed anything, when I started playing SA - I remember the first time I must have hit freelook without knowing how I did that, and I couldn't work out why I could only run in a straight line.; it was ... very worrying, heh. I panic-logged after about 15 seconds.

The experienced ARMA players seem very happy with the keys as they are, standard setup -  but for me ONE double tap is as far as I will go to get any action, anything more complicated than that - forget it..  The DayZ key binding system is very resilient - you can put quite complicated sequences onto on key if you want to .. you can change everything - it's WORTH setting up the keyboard how you like it. And Definitely if there's some keypress you DONT like, then change it.. save your life.

xx

Edited by pilgrim

Or get a track IR!

IMO the only way to play, I couldn't go back.