Survivor1965

Meat. what does it say when its get cooked.

I am even so far to give up cooking untill a new update.
Trying the fryingpan and all get messed up.

Reuind meat in just minutes. Never say'd cooked or welldone.

The picture tells it all.

9sxmww.jpg

• Like 1

I've had success cooking on a campfire with tripod and in the stone furnace but only the cookpot seems to work now, the slots in the frying pan do not turn red/heat up on any heat source.  The gas stove doesnt seem to work at all either, even with the cookpot (but the fuel seems to work fine for the gas lantern).   Also, a few things I've learned about cooking and cookpots:  

* when putting your cookpot onto a heat source make sure you add it onto the Fireplace "top icon" and not into the fireplace inventory slots, that's for fuel and will burn your meat immediately.

* the only way to tell if meat is cooking/cooked is that color of the steak changes incrementally from red to browns to black.  I haven't seen any status on my cooked steaks that they are indeed cooked, but they do "look" brown and cooked.  And eating them doesn't make you sick. (I've tried this with boar steaks and deer steaks) 

* there's definitely an inventory glitch with the cookpot, some report that it crashes servers.  The cookpot takes up 4 slots in the inventory and holds 8 steaks.  But when you add a cookpot full of steaks to the gas stove+fuel canister combo (separately everything would be 16 slots) - the whole mess now takes up only *two* slots in inventory!  Steaks included.  So, by picking up gas stoves, canisters and a cookpots you could carry more steaks than you're supposed to.  Not that anyone would bother doing this but with this method you could carry 112(?) steaks in a single drybag.

• Like 4

You have to watch the food as its colour changes to a more brown texture, when it does that its cooked. Last time i tried on .53 it took 1 minute.

Damn...got ninjad.

Edited by Bruderlos
  • Like 2

You have to watch the food as its colour changes to a more brown texture, when it does that its cooked. Last time i tried on .53 it took 1 minute.

Damn...got ninjad.

Yes I was about to edit and add that it happens fast

Bon Appetit

• Like 1

That is a hopefull post.

I did put the 'pot and meat' on the fireplace and not in it.

So ill give it another try with a gasstove & cookingpot and give it a go.

Keep up the "Chefs" work in DayZ. ;)

1442wpw.jpg

• Like 2

This was my entry into the "How was your Day(Z)?" thread a few days ago:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did a LOAD of cooking tests today, using every combination of heat source and cooking utensil.

The frying pan and gas burners don't work at all, via any method.  Don't bother with either of them for the moment, they are just dead inventory space.

You cannot put meat directly into any fire (it just becomes ruined without actually cooking at all) so a cooking pot is mandatory.  The good news is that it can hold 8 pieces of steak but only takes 4 slots itself, so it's very efficient.  The cooking pot can be used over a regular fireplace kit (i.e. an open fire) if you hang it from the cooking tripod.  If you don't use a tripod, the pot just gets ruined.  One thing to note is that you cannot add meat to the cooking pot (or frying pan) whilst it is in your inventory or on the fire.  Instead you need to place it onto the ground and add the meat to it via the vicinity window. 

If you don't have a tripod you can search for stones until you find 8 small stones (they can be stacked in your inventory to save space) which you can add to the fireplace to craft a stone oven.  The cooking pot can be added directly to the stone oven and will cook the steaks.  Once the fire has gone out the 8 stones can be detached and returned to your inventory to be used again.

Fireplaces need a full stack of 5 sticks for fuel or 3 firewood.  Sticks take 2 slots, firewood take 4 and both burn for the same amount of time (around 7-8 minutes) so I see no point in using firewood.  However, if you do want to use firewood note that you can stack 3 pieces into a single 2x2 slot but not in your inventory.  Instead you need to combine them whilst they are in the vicinity window, then put them into your own inventory, carry them to the fireplace and then add them to the fire.  You cannot add them to the fireplace kit separately, they must be stacked first.

Food takes less than a minute to cook.  There is no change to the icon or description, just the colour of the meat.  There are only 3 colours so it's easy to tell what stage it is at.  The first colour is a pinky colour and indicates the meat is raw.  It then changes to a brown colour when it is cooked before turning black when it is burned.

I could not find a way to extinguish a fire once it is lit.  Prior to 0.53 you could simply remove the fuel, but now you cannot.  I always have to let my fire burn out.  However, a fireplace will not fit into a 5x5 backpack anyway so I have not yet managed to pick one up once placed, though you can drag it from the vicinity window to outside the vicinity window which will move it on the floor, if only a little and without much control.  Fireplaces are persistant items so will remain in place on persistance enabled servers, though they will be wiped during the weekly maintenance on Wednesday.  Take care to place them away from any stash you have in case they attract unwanted attention.

I'm currently packing a full cooking kit consisting of cooking pot, frying pan, cooking tripod, a gas burner, 8 stones, a box of matches, sticks and rags to make the fireplace kit and lots of raw steaks so if anyone wants anything specifically tested\timed\whatever, or if you just have any queries about cooking, let me know and I'll be happy to try and help.

Some images

DayZ_Cooking_logs_zps769f84b1.jpg

DayZ_Cooking_logs2_zpscd07467b.jpg

DayZ_Cooking_logs3_zps13590e64.jpg

DayZ_Cooking_logs4_zpsd4de3695.jpg

DayZ_Cooking_logs5_zps21e82542.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit - One additional thing to add, at the moment the Carp fish that you can catch with the fishing rod in ponds, lakes and streams etc.. seems to be bugged and cannot be cooked via ANY method.
Edited by krazypenguin
  • Like 4

I could not find a way to extinguish a fire once it is lit.  Prior to 0.53 you could simply remove the fuel, but now you cannot.  I always have to let my fire burn out.  

I was going to ask about that, I guess there's no way to put it out then.   I did notice that you could remove the stones from the furnace, which makes it appear like a normal fire - and helps to conceal it's location a little bit.

edit:  I don't remember if I could remove the stones while hot, maybe I removed them the next day after the fire was out.

Edited by GaryWalnuts

I was going to ask about that, I guess there's no way to put it out then. I did notice that you could remove the stones from the furnace, which makes it appear like a normal fire - and helps to conceal it's location a little bit.

edit: I don't remember if I could remove the stones while hot, maybe I removed them the next day after the fire was out.

The fire has to be out - also, the stones are not hot when you put them into your inventory, i.e. they do not warm you up. That's probably a good thing since I tend to become "Hot" every time I try to cook these days!!

Edit - whilst fires are persistent I don't know if ovens (fires with 8 stones on them) are, nor if a tripod and cooking pot are - I did try to test but my server seems to have either become persistence off or just lost all loot since everything vanished yesterday (i.e. long after the Wednesday maintenance).

Edited by krazypenguin

The stone ovens are definitely persistent, I'm not sure about the tripod/cookpot either because I collect those and put them in my pack before I go.   Too bad about the carp, I was living off of them in .52 up north in Stary Yar where there's no animal spawns (except that you could snare rabbit).   I've since moved a bit further south where there's game to hunt.