Sign in to follow this  
Act III

How do your immerse yourself?

Hello forum!

Just curious as to how many of you out there try to mentally immerse yourself into the game as much as possible. For example, for months now I've decided to only use the in-game maps for navigation and walkie-talkies to communicate with friends. As opposed to having DayZDB open on my second monitor and using Skype/etc.

Do any of you have little tricks to help your mental involvement? If not, I suggest you try what I do with the maps and walkie talkies. It adds a little bit of a challenge to the game.

Postscript: I have not played DayZ in weeks now and I really want to play. I cannot wait to get my setup back and explore Prison Island!

Hello forum!

Just curious as to how many of you out there try to mentally immerse yourself into the game as much as possible. For example, for months now I've decided to only use the in-game maps for navigation and walkie-talkies to communicate with friends. As opposed to having DayZDB open on my second monitor and using Skype/etc.

Do any of you have little tricks to help your mental involvement? If not, I suggest you try what I do with the maps and walkie talkies. It adds a little bit of a challenge to the game.

Postscript: I have not played DayZ in weeks now and I really want to play. I cannot wait to get my setup back and explore Prison Island!

I have tried making a improvised bow with improvised arrows and simply living off the land.

Its pretty fun, you get to explore the map way more then you thought you could. Hunt down a deer and eat it, or even  make a backpack out of the pelt.

Also have a piece of paper next to to you or in game with pen and paper you could write down how many days you have been alive/ how many people you have killed/ How many animals you have hunted. If you like actually feeling like you are out there surviving you should try what I said above it is lots of fun. 

• Like 1

Hmmm I've actually done everything you mentioned. But I agree that all these little elements most people take for granted definitely make the game experience so much better!

I immerse myself by going prone in the nearest body of water. It's a refreshing experience... then I'm forced to wring my crap out or else die of hypothermia.

• Like 1

Same here. Try not to use online maps. I put some good bacground ambient music that fits dayz theme. But some players with immature behavior or cheaters or server restarts keep spoiling it for me :P

• Like 1

I deliberately don't memorise the map, the town names are foreign to me and I am happy with that. Be it mod or SA, I just try my best to head northwards, looting away any towns I come accross as I go along trying to survive. I enjoy the feeling of being lost and alone too much to learn the map. No friends, no teamspeak, just me against the Dayz world.

• Like 1

I like to play wit someone and talk using VOIP, living on the woods, killing who attack us or others, idk, i just survive

• Like 1

Glad to see others try to make the most out of what the game has to offer. :) Personally I have not gotten tired of the standalone since the hour of release, mostly because I make my own fun. Tis the greatness of DayZ!

• Like 1

This aspect of the game will be cool once we move past the Wednesday resets. I would love nothing more than to find a military tent on NWAF and go to a hill in the most obscure part of the map and set a tent on top of it and live off the land....hunting wildlife and have 5 plots of various veggies growing around the tent with a improvised oven close by to cook my kills of the day (wildlife). Once the game progresses and the resets disappear this will be my playstyle.

I dont want to worry about juggling through what loot i want to keep and what loot I want to get rid of because of a reset....I would rather worry if someone will find my camp while I am offline and then find a way to make it more inconspicuous. 

That is my version of immersion and it will be achievable once the game progresses and less exploitation is around...hopefully.

• Like 2

I immerse myself by going prone in the nearest body of water. It's a refreshing experience... then I'm forced to wring my crap out or else die of hypothermia.

Fuck, I came in here to say that ;-;

Edited by Sleeves
  • Like 1

Never using outside of the game resources like map and TeamSpeak, I try to play exacly as I would try to survive in a real life situation, which means I moslty walk around, trying to be as stealthy as possible you know. Before all this I smoke a bit of weed and then BOOM I'm literaly in fucking Chernarus. Oh also I almost forgot, I avoid melee fights with other survivors aswell when I want to be immersed.

Edited by Avant-Garde
  • Like 1

I lived exclusively 'off the land' for a while. Only things I looted were clothes, a machete, arrows and things needed to craft gear. I managed pretty well, became a decent shot with the bow even, but I finally switched back to normal playing because things got repetitive after a while.

Also, I find that just playing 1PP adds volumes to immersion. You're no longer looking at a guy on the screen, you are the guy.

• Like 1

Never using outside of the game resources like map and TeamSpeak, I try to play exacly as I would try to survive in a real life situation, which means I moslty walk around, trying to be as stealthy as possible you know. Before all this I smoke a bit of weed and then BOOM I'm literaly in fucking Chernarus. Oh also I almost forgot, I avoid melee fights with other survivors aswell when I want to be immersed.

Oh man, I feel you brother. I used to smoke a fat one before every DayZ session. But no longer do I smoke. Good times though, good times.

• Like 2

I lived exclusively 'off the land' for a while. Only things I looted were clothes, a machete, arrows and things needed to craft gear. I managed pretty well, became a decent shot with the bow even, but I finally switched back to normal playing because things got repetitive after a while.

Also, I find that just playing 1PP adds volumes to immersion. You're no longer looking at a guy on the screen, you are the guy.

Yeah dude, I touched 3PP once. 1PP all the way, to me there is literally no point in playing 3rd person. Also yesssss, the bow is godly once mastered.